Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin nuvi 265 wont turn on fully

Options
  • 12-07-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

A friend borrowed this from his friend,all was working well, then the mini-usb connector of the car charger got accidentally shut in a door and the plug broken. It was apparently working for a while after, but now when you power on it lights up for about 1-2 seconds with a screen that just has the GARMIN logo and an arrow (up or down I think), then it shuts off.

I bought him another car charger on ebay, no difference, except I noted that the original car charger is rated at 1 amp DC output, the ebay one is only 500mA. In case this was the problem (although the ebay charger was specifically sold as being suitable for the 265), I did a plug transplant of the ebay plug to the genuine charger. Still no joy. There does seem to be 5V coming out of both chargers, so is it perhaps a problem in the Garmin unit itself ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can't you power it up using any mini-USB connector into a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks for the reply Krusty, I did suggest this to him, and will lend him a USB-A to mini-USB lead to try this.

Does anybody think that although this device uses the mini-USB plug, it might possibly strictly adhere to the USB standard ? The replacement charger I got off ebay had a resistor between the -ve line and another pin on the mini-USB

Advertisement