Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of ivy

Options
  • 12-07-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting rid of ivy that has invaded the most inaccessible parts of shrub borders, including climbing up the trunks of larger shrubs/trees. I've been trying to pull it up manually but it's nigh impossible as it's rooted every couple of inches. I don't want to kill the shrubs by spraying wildly although I did carefully spray brushwood killer on the bits that were easy to reach, without any success, the ivy is thriving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Find the main stem and sever it. Then dig it up. It may be inaccessible but you're going to have to get in after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Find main stem and sever it with hatchet. ( Or partially cut it.) Sprinkle on 'Root out' on exposed raw wood. It is like granulated sugar. Cover with some plastic and secure with rubber band to stop stuff being washed away or damaging other plants/animals. In time the root will be killed. Try and get rid of as much green growth as possible when living - it is harder to shift when dead as it gets 'woody'. I found this worked for me but before this the ivy had penetrated cracks in garden wall and made them worse.

This is strong stuff, be careful with it and wear gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks for the suggestions. Finding the main root will be a job in itself!
    Annie the wonder that was "Root-out" was withdrawn from the market last year, unfortunately, that's why I used brushwood killer.
    Looks like I'll have to persevere with the hand pulling as best I can. Ivy's a beast to remove.

Advertisement