Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making chocolate with coconut oil

Options
  • 12-07-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever do this? Been messing around with it recently. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature so you just heat it up till it melts and then stir in cocoa and whatever sweetener if you're so inclined.

It's really easy and especially useful if you're wanting dairy-free chocolate. Coconut oil is expensive (€8.25 for 400g jar where I got it) but I'd say I'd get ten 100g bars out of it so the yield makes up for the price. Good quality dark chocolate is often expensive anyway so you'd probably be making a saving.

I usually use 5 tablespoons coconut oil, 5 tablespoons cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons golden syrup heated slowly in a saucepan till everything's combined. I line a loaf tin with cling film, pour it into that and put it in the fridge. It's pretty solid after about 20 minutes. It's best kept in the fridge though, might get a bit mushy otherwise!

Going to keep messing with it, might try mint or lemon flavours. Might try sweetening it with agave or maple syrup too if I feel like splashing the cash...

And if you're into really strong, dark chocolate you could just leave out the sugar. Pretty hardcore :p

Anyway, I hadn't heard about this until my friend told me she was using coconut oil to make raw chocolate (with cacao) and I was intrigued! It's fun, thought I'd share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Wow! I've never heard of this recipe. Sounds very rich indeed. Thanks for posting it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

You're welcome :)

I'd never heard of it either so I thought I'd spread it around. It's almost too easy though, my chocolate consumption is going to go way up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

It sounds amazing! I want to make it, but it's probably really really really bold!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I tried something similar with all-raw ingredients the other day (for a friend who's a raw foodie) - so simple, and it's bloody tasty, too :D! I added cinnamon and used raw cocoa powder, raw coconut butter and agave syrup as base ingredients.
    Might try adding some chili powder or something. Mmmh!

I tried something similar with all-raw ingredients the other day (for a friend who's a raw foodie) - so simple, and it's bloody tasty, too :D! I added cinnamon and used raw cocoa powder, raw coconut butter and agave syrup as base ingredients.
    Might try adding some chili powder or something. Mmmh!

Oh, cinnamon sounds interesting, might try that.
    Yeah, chilli could be exciting, you should report back if you try it!
    I made some earlier with finely chopped fresh mint stirred through it, but it was strange :( Peppermint oil might have worked better.
    kellief wrote: »
    It sounds amazing! I want to make it, but it's probably really really really bold!

I'd say it's probably better than eating a regular bar of chocolate. At least you know exactly what went into it! Apparently coconut oil isn't so bad for a predominantly saturated fat. It supposedly aids metabolism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I just made it now about 5 mins ago. So it's just in the fridge :D
    And the coconut oil is fairly expensive. I got a 200g pot for E5.10 but from the look of the chocolate, it seems worth it.
    Had to add more syrup to it because when I tasted it as it was heating, it was abit too dark :P

Oh, can't wait!

Should be set by now, how is it? :p

Yeah it is expensive. I think my initial estimate may have been too low. I'd say my jar will make at least seven 125g bars... Not too bad.

Today I made it with 3tbsp Agave and 1tbsp of Cashew butter. Very nutty! Much softer though, any softer and it'd be nutella.

Wow.. it's actually reeeeaally good :P
    It hard on the outside but quite nutella-ey texture on the inside.
    But I added in like an extra tablespoon or so of syrup.

OM NOM NOM.

Yay...

Yeah the golden syrup makes it kind of chewy. It's surprisingly easy to eat too, for dark chocolate. I'm going through a bar a day at this rate, but that may be because it's new and exciting!

It's so much fun, this chocolate making business :pac:

Now to test out other things in it.

*rubs hands together*

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement