Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funnel

• 12-07-2010 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

The beginning of a funnel/tornado type thing that ended up much bigger after the picture was taken.
    Directly north of mallow.

funnel2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Nice capture. Was that today? Send it to John Tyrell in UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Yeah, this evening 20:45. It is a pity I couldn't hang around long enough to take pics when it was fully developed. I'm sure someone else must have spotted it, it was there for a good 10 - 15 mins.

I`ll send it on to that guy if it's of interest to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was hoping it was after touching down there for a minute when I seen the smoke, my heart skipped a beat :D. Great cap anyway, pity no more pics of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Some friends of mine near Churchtown (10 miles or so from mallow) took these with a camera phone. They seemed to be quite close to it. :)

funnel30911334.jpg

funnel40936336.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

wow. great pics dark. that is really an amazing site.

John Tyrell by the way has left UCC. He is still contactable by his ucc address john.tyrell@ucc.ie

He would love to see these pics. This is the third reported funnel cloud in two months in cork. I think there was one in glanmire early last month and Mallow in May.

Tornado Alley Boy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Stunning series of pics. Haven't seen a funnel myself since 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭John mac

nice pics. i got a pic of one a year or 2 ago , must find it and post it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭John mac

It was June 2006 ! didnt think it was that long ago.

3B41E966D8C544DEA8F3381641CB3DCF-500.jpg

522138E7BA6849B9B5E7EFC4169FDA3B-500.jpg

B5D9818A036C48CCBAB9C6793CF654C4-500.jpg

the last one was when it started breaking down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Tornado Alley in an around Cork? Well I can report seeing many of these funnel clouds, have lived in Cork for over 50 years.

Had been assured that there would not be an actual Tornado, but we now know we get hit by about 40 touch downs annually.

Funnel clouds are very, very, very common down south. A famous incident a few years ago in Youghal left all the signs of a tornado touch down, a pot hole and a bent bus stop.

Our tornadoes rarely have the power to much more than touch down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's an impressive pic John Mac. I wonder if it made any attempt to touch down. I'd say torro would be interested in these pics and any other details you remember from the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Su Campu wrote: »
    Nice capture. Was that today? Send it to John Tyrell in UCC.

And Peter Lynch at UCD!

Advertisement