Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc Broadband

• 12-07-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, i have just moved in to new house, and was wondering what documents/i.d i will have to provide when i apply for upc broadband. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

None, that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I'm in the same boat. Just moved into a new place and called up UPC to get broadband connected. They said they wanted a copy of my passport and a utility bill before they connected me.

I don't know where they think I can get a utility bill from if I've just moved in, but that's what they asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

gloobag wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Just moved into a new place and called up UPC to get broadband connected. They said they wanted a copy of my passport and a utility bill before they connected me.

I don't know where they think I can get a utility bill from if I've just moved in, but that's what they asked for.

The same for us, they accepted passport and pps letter.
    (payslip shoud do fine also)

Then they send us the ffollowing email

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your email and answers to credit scoring .Please fax your documents to 061272301

Your account number is XXXXXX

Please attach your proof of address and proof of identity

Acceptable forms of proof of address/identity include:
    (i) Passport or driver’s license or birth certificate
    (ii) Utility bill (must be issued in the last 6 months)
    (iii) Tenancy Agreement letter from landlord or a solicitor’s letter for a new home
    (iv) Statements from a bank, credit card company, credit union or building society
    (v) Recognised government letter i.e., social welfare, car tax, County Council
    (vi) Solicitor’s letter or accountant’s letter (on headed paper and must be typed)
    (vii) Auctioneer’s letter confirming occupancy and letting of property
    (viii) Car or home insurance policy
    (ix) Health insurance policy

Please answer the following:

1. Are you currently employed/unemployed/student/other?
    2. How long have you lived at your current address?
    3. If less than 3 years, what was your previous address?
    4. Accomodation Type: Are you the Owner/Renter/Other
    5. Have you another UPC account?

finnteme wrote: »
    The same for us, they accepted passport and pps letter.
    (payslip shoud do fine also)

Then they send us the ffollowing email

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your email and answers to credit scoring .Please fax your documents to 061272301

Your account number is XXXXXX

Please attach your proof of address and proof of identity

Acceptable forms of proof of address/identity include:
    (i) Passport or driver’s license or birth certificate
    (ii) Utility bill (must be issued in the last 6 months)
    (iii) Tenancy Agreement letter from landlord or a solicitor’s letter for a new home
    (iv) Statements from a bank, credit card company, credit union or building society
    (v) Recognised government letter i.e., social welfare, car tax, County Council
    (vi) Solicitor’s letter or accountant’s letter (on headed paper and must be typed)
    (vii) Auctioneer’s letter confirming occupancy and letting of property
    (viii) Car or home insurance policy
    (ix) Health insurance policy

Please answer the following:

1. Are you currently employed/unemployed/student/other?
    2. How long have you lived at your current address?
    3. If less than 3 years, what was your previous address?
    4. Accomodation Type: Are you the Owner/Renter/Other
    5. Have you another UPC account?

Cheers for that. I wonder would they accept a copy of the signatures section of my lease agreement?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I signed up online, and for payment by direct debit, and there was no request for proof of anything. Did you chose a different payment option or anything else that would prompt this?

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    I signed up online, and for payment by direct debit, and there was no request for proof of anything. Did you chose a different payment option or anything else that would prompt this?

We signed up for direct debit, when ordered online.
    I dont know what triggered this, we have been living in Ireland 3 years, never had problems with banks etc, never had Upc before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why would they need you to prove your address? It's a fixed line service to an address, it's not like you can steal it and run away. Proof of address is requested when you buy mobile products. Asking for it when it's going to be installed by their own technicians at the address requested, is just stupid.

I signed up online too, and nothing was requested.

Spear wrote: »

Nope, I also signed up online for direct debit. Got a call from them yesterday to confirm details. The guy on the phone said that the "engineer" would be out on Thursday to install and that I needed to email them a copy of passport/drivers license and utility bill by 1pm Wednesday.

Right pain in the arse! Obviously I have no bills if I just moved in and even sorting something other than a bill out is very awkward as I work 9 to 5 :mad:

The only reason I can think of that they'd request this, is that the guy on the phone said that the previous tenant of my new place has been flagged as a risk. He asked me all these questions to confirm that I wasn't them.

I'm thinking of just not sending them anything. I'd wager that someone will still turn up to install on Thursday and that will be that.

gloobag wrote: »
    Nope, I also signed up online for direct debit. Got a call from them yesterday to confirm details. The guy on the phone said that the "engineer" would be out on Thursday to install and that I needed to email them a copy of passport/drivers license and utility bill by 1pm Wednesday.

Right pain in the arse! Obviously I have no bills if I just moved in and even sorting something other than a bill out is very awkward as I work 9 to 5 :mad:

The only reason I can think of that they'd request this, is that the guy on the phone said that the previous tenant of my new place has been flagged as a risk. He asked me all these questions to confirm that I wasn't them.

I'm thinking of just not sending them anything. I'd wager that someone will still turn up to install on Thursday and that will be that.

Yeah, now i also remember, we got a call from UPC and told that prev. tenant had a huge bill unpaid in their systems.
    That must be the reason for this.

Similar happened when i called to ESB to get the account in my name, they asked me many times, where is this person who lived there before, is he possible my roommate..(propably unpaid bills)
    They had hard time to believe that we just signed a lease for that house, and we dont have a clue where the old tenant is. Finally the landlord faxed them the letting agreement, and after that they were happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Companies like UPC, Eircom, Sky, ESB etc have massive amounts of uncollected payments from closed accounts.
    Companies like UPC who have access to the Chorus and NTL collections reports would have records of debt from a lot of rented accomidations, simply because people move in, and just move out leaving the debt.

This is why they want people on DD so much, and this is why they all require proof of ID/Address nowadays if there is any outstanding debts associated with the address.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are requesting a lease off me as I am making a new account, and my passport etc, so annoying. Won't install until I email them to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

jor el wrote: »
    Why would they need you to prove your address? It's a fixed line service to an address, it's not like you can steal it and run away. Proof of address is requested when you buy mobile products. Asking for it when it's going to be installed by their own technicians at the address requested, is just stupid.

I signed up online too, and nothing was requested.

Yes same here, cant see why you would need it either, and i didnt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So annoying, I can change my bank address to whatever I want and get a statement, it's not exactly a secure system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Madness I just joined them and I never had to provide any documentation. litterally applied online and bam i was setup within 2-3 days = top service.

i just hope something doesnt go wrong cos thats when the fun n games really starts.

They said they wouldn't set me up without the info, but within 24 hours they had sent somebody out to sort it out and the equipment will be there by courier at 9am tomorrow, confusing as to whether I actually need it at all.

Advertisement