Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wall Mounted Bike Storage

• 12-07-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi

I'm trying to source a few wall mounts for bikes to store them. A friend got some a while back in Aldi that fix flat to the wall and then the front wheel slips in and the bike can be stored upright.

I've seen something akin to this on a UK website but their shipping is a bit steep and was wondering if there is anywhere in Ireland where I might get these. I notice Aldi's latests bike stuff doesn't have these on offer.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have 2 of the Aldi ones, they are pretty much identical to these ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a couple never used (when i thought about iti didnt like the idea of the weight put on the front wheel) and i didnt have a flat wall (stone shed)
    so i bolted 2 bits of 2x4 to the wall 2 wide shelf brackets and pipe lagging and now have my bikes hanging on the wall on the top tube

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EamonnL

Halfords sell several types of wall mounts from 4.99 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

saw them in cycle surgery (Snow & Rock, Dundrum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Aldi are currently selling Bike lifts, basically a pulley system that'll let you suspect the bike from the roof, might be a good alternative.

Argos sell the wall mounts you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I got some bike hooks and utility hooks in homebase, to organise two adult and two kids bikes in the porch. My bike, like most mens bikes with cross bars was no problem, but I wouldn't use hooks if gear or brake wires were under the cross bar. Wifes and kids bikes with no cross bar were a lot more work, positioning pairs of plastic coated hooks to line up with the frame, but worth the effort eventually. The individual hooks were a fiver, the proper bike hook €12. Ceiling mounts could well be better for awkward frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Thanks everyone - much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

i have a couple never used (when i thought about iti didnt like the idea of the weight put on the front wheel)
    <SNIP>

Thinking about this, when hooked, the weight of the bike is pulling on the rim rather than pushing on it. However, the weight is a lot less because it doesn't include the rider. Does the fact the the weight is working the opposite way to normal cause an issue because the spokes/rim/hub were not designed for forces in this direction?

On a related note, when a bike is hooked, is there any tendency for it to fall sideways, or does it's own weight press it hard enough against the wall to keep it stable?

The rim is already under considerable tension from the spokes, so I don't see how hanging it by the front wheel will damage the rim unless your bike is very very heavy and the spokes are very very loose.

I've mine hanging up and they are fine, they move a bit on the hooks but there is no danger of them falling off as the weight of the bike is pulling it in towards the wall. They are free to rock but it's more like a pendulum than anything unstable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Resurrecting this thread as I'm looking for the same brackets.

I see they're currently out of stock in CRC, anyone know of anywhere else online to get something similar ?
    Tried Argos, but can't find them on their site.
    Also, as I'm based in Galway, a Dublin LBS is useless to me I'm afraid.

Recommendations welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

not wall mounted, but Aldi are doing these bike stands from Thurs 16th

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14453.htm

anoble66 wrote: »
    not wall mounted, but Aldi are doing these bike stands from Thurs 16th

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_14453.htm

Was aware of that coming up, but for the space I have in the shed it will need to be the wall mounted type.

Thanks anyway.

Anyone else seen them anywhere?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Thanks - will check the LBs on the way home, if they have nothing in a similar price, I'll be placing an order.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Thanks - will check the LBs on the way home, if they have nothing in a similar price, I'll be placing an order.:)

I have two wall mounted bike holders which I've never used. One is identical to this although I'm not sure of the make:

http://www.minourausa.com/english/storage-e/hanger4-e.html

And the other is a heavy duty version made from Minoura but can't find a picture anywhere online.

Both are un-used and cost 70 euro, will sell for half price if you want. Both fold up when not in use and need to be anchored to the wall

I have two wall mounted bike holders which I've never used. One is identical to this although I'm not sure of the make:

http://www.minourausa.com/english/storage-e/hanger4-e.html

And the other is a heavy duty version made from Minoura but can't find a picture anywhere online.

Both are un-used and cost 70 euro, will sell for half price if you want. Both fold up when not in use and need to be anchored to the wall

Thanks for the offer, but I need the type that store the bike vertically.
    LBS was closed by the time I got to it, will check @ lunchtime and order from wiggle if nothing there.

Hope someone else can make use of those though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Hey, I went to my hardware store today and picked up hooks, two for e3 I put them on the ceiling and they are holding my bikes grand, they can also be used on the wall, serve the purpose fine and I need 4 so I'm saving about e30

Advertisement