Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer X110 3d projector queries.

• 12-07-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

First of all, if I'm in the wrong section move this thread by all means.

Hi guys, I want to buy a projector for watching movies, xbox, basically for general home entertainment but I have a few queries.

On pixmania the Acer X110 3d projector is only €300 inc vat. (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4346384/art/acer/x110-3d-video-projector.html). This is very cheap and I'm seriously considering buying it but I have a few queries.

There no in built speakers. Would it be a simple connection to connect it to my stereo or would I need any sort of pricey cable or anything like that.

Also, my xbox has no HDMI (older model 360) but are scarts on the back of all projectors?

There is a large white wall which would be suitable to project on to in my house. Would you recommend I fix it on the roof or would leaving it on a desk/shelf suffice.

Thanks for reading and any responses and/or advice is greatly appreciated.
    P.S. Sorry for the messy structure and poor writing, my head isn't in it today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

do u have a hdtv? if u dont then you're missing out bigtime on the diff between standard def and hi def

forget about that projector and save some more and get a 720p HDMI projector, the one u linked dosent give the proper aspect ratio

i have an epson eh-tw450, which is 720p projected onto a white wall, it gives me a 130" image and high def sources really look very sharp indeed

this projector also comes with a 3 year warrenty on the unit and the bulb

acer also do a similar spec h5360 (i think) 720p model which also does 3d but only works presently with the nvidia pc based system

(personally not bothered with 3d as i think it will flop until lenticular is the norm, best leave it for special occasions in the cinema)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

BArra wrote: »
    do u have a hdtv? if u dont then you're missing out bigtime on the diff between standard def and hi def

forget about that projector and save some more and get a 720p HDMI projector, the one u linked dosent give the proper aspect ratio

i have an epson eh-tw450, which is 720p projected onto a white wall, it gives me a 130" image and high def sources really look very sharp indeed

this projector also comes with a 3 year warrenty on the unit and the bulb

acer also do a similar spec h5360 (i think) 720p model which also does 3d but only works presently with the nvidia pc based system

(personally not bothered with 3d as i think it will flop until lenticular is the norm, best leave it for special occasions in the cinema)
    Thanks for the reply.

I do have a HDTV and, like you, I think that 3d is gonna flop. I really didnt care that it was 3d, just a bonus really. I've never had the chance to use a HD proj. so I have no idea what they're like.

Seeing as you're a projector owner and seem to know what you're talking about I'll hold out for now. Out of curiosity, how much would I have to pay for a projector like yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

my one, you would be looking at around 700e

epson have a promo on my model which also gets you a free 80" portable tripod stand screen

you can get cheaper 720p HDMI projectors though, have a look for optoma hd600x, i think that should be around 500ish

projectorpoint.co.uk would be one of the better sites to check out home cinema projectors, just click on home cinema and it lists everything they have, lots of info available

trust me, you would be better off with a projecteor that gives proper hd resolutions, over say a business type projector that only does 800x600

the image my thing gives is really, really good.

and best of all, you dont have someone kicking the back of your seat :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I play on an SD Hitatchi. Running VGA out of the 360. I'm reasonably picky about image quality and it does me fine.

You can run audio out on RCAs to any sound system you like. I have a PC speaker sub/amp hooked up to two 75W Mitsu speakers. Does eveything I need.

If you want I'll post some flicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Have been looking at the Acer as well, surely for that price you can't go wrong. A 100" screen for €299 ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, but there are a few things to consider. As in most projectors perform poorly in well lit rooms, where as a panel is fine once you dont have direct glare(Should be noted that the better, aka brighter, the projector the less this matters).
    Also, projectors are noisy, so are consoles, but just something to consider.
    I don't know how long the average usage life of a flatscreen is now, but projectors have bulbs with a limited lifetime, and they often cost up to 90% of the original unit to replace:eek:
    If you have a decent wall to use though(screens look horribe:rolleyes:) its great fun. Especially for playing 4 player split, you can actually see what you're doing.

Advertisement