Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wanted

• 13-07-2010 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

im looking for a good S/H canoe .

something along the lines of a mad river ,synergy 14 .thanks .

is there any club on the slaney for canoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have done a good bit of C-class paddling jwshooter, the Slaney is one of the many descents I have been lucky enough to do. Great river, full of surprises. I don't know of any club on the stretch. But I wouldn't go buying an expensive Canadian without trying it out in a club. Incorrect Canadian paddling can damage your shoulders, so proper j-stroke tuition is a must along with river reading, basic skills, rescue techniques and learning what to avoid. (trees)

Edit, just looked up the mad river ,synergy 14, didn't realise it was a sit on Kayak, nice looking boat, same thing applies though, no point in splashing out and realising you don't like paddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There is a club in Tullow, lots of info on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

im now looking at the wilderness system 140 tarpon .
    does any one have one ? .from what i heard there a great kayak for fishing river and sea " not far out" .

I have never had a sit on kayak, paddled a few before and wouldn't be mad about them. I am used to using my hips and knees to control the boat. That looks like a fine boat for what you want, loads of stowage, good comfort and lots of volume. I'd say you could even drop a small grapnel. Again, I would work on your skills before buying, don't just buy and paddle off, get some basic skills first, ferrygliding, bow rudder, draws, sweeps, reverse, river reading, etc... Rivers can catch you out very quickly. The sit on kayaks and canadians tend to catch the wind very easily, so I wouldn't head out with an offshore blowing. I have used a canadian for lake fishing. They are brilliant, you can fish from the boat or beach in islands, basically get to where other can't. Beware of irate anglers though. 99% of them smile, nod, say hello or have a chat, but we came across a very very abusive guy on the Slaney (funnily enough). He told us the river was belonged to the fishing club and was private property! :rolleyes: It has been proven that canoeists don't upset fish. Don't skimp on a bouyancy aid, get a good one with pockets.

Came across this searching for a boat for myself...

http://www.wwkc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4674

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I have never had a sit on kayak, paddled a few before and wouldn't be mad about them. I am used to using my hips and knees to control the boat. That looks like a fine boat for what you want, loads of stowage, good comfort and lots of volume. I'd say you could even drop a small grapnel. Again, I would work on your skills before buying, don't just buy and paddle off, get some basic skills first, ferrygliding, bow rudder, draws, sweeps, reverse, river reading, etc... Rivers can catch you out very quickly. The sit on kayaks and canadians tend to catch the wind very easily, so I wouldn't head out with an offshore blowing. I have used a canadian for lake fishing. They are brilliant, you can fish from the boat or beach in islands, basically get to where other can't. Beware of irate anglers though. 99% of them smile, nod, say hello or have a chat, but we came across a very very abusive guy on the Slaney (funnily enough). He told us the river was belonged to the fishing club and was private property! :rolleyes: It has been proven that canoeists don't upset fish. Don't skimp on a bouyancy aid, get a good one with pockets.

a fair stretch above enniscorthy is private fishing , i went for a swim this eve and found a business flyer for a kayak school on the slaney .

there is a good bit on you tube on the boat and i got a offer to try one

We weren't fishing, we were paddling, no river in Ireland is private property, don't worry, he was sorted out! The Gards let us park our cars in the local station, when we went to collect the cars we told them what happened, they were disgusted, knew immediately who he was and he had a squad car call out to him for a good bollicking! Let us know how you get on with the boat.

Advertisement