Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure Storage

Options
  • 13-07-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

i have a question on secure storage....
    i recieved my shotgun licence recently.
    i now have sent in a .22 application.
    my brother is waiting on a shotgun licence.
    my father is waiting on an air rifle licence.

does this mean we need to meet the 3 or more standard i.e. safe,alarm,bs3621 locks.
    OR
    is it on an individual basis i.e. i would have 2 so use a gun safe, brother & father have 1 each and allowed storage broken?

i have a 3 gun safe, door locks meet bs 3621 but no alarm

Your opinions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The definition of secure storage is down to your local Superintendent when push comes to shove. However, there is some precedent to say that even family members with their own firearms licences shouldn't have access to your firearms. Unfortunately, the only person who can give you the answer here is your local Super (and not the firearms officer, it really has to be your Super).

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I have a question that someone might be able to answer.

If an air rifle is unrestricted - correct. Where or what SI says you have to have a safe. The SI 307 only says for 1 shotgun etc..

A friend of mine has been told by a FO that he requires a gun safe for an Air Rifle but none if he had a shotgun. Am I reading this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The FO is right. Take a read of the Firearms Licencing and Licence Renewal Information announcement. A single air rifle falls into category 2 of the storage requirements - three or fewer non-restricted firearms

Sparks wrote: »
    The FO is right. Take a read of the Firearms Licencing and Licence Renewal Information announcement. A single air rifle falls into category 2 of the storage requirements - three or fewer non-restricted firearms

Cheers - I did read it but got completely confused with the 3 or fewer bit. A bit crazy for an air rifle when a shotgun falls in to Cat 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

knockon wrote: »
    Cheers - I did read it but got completely confused with the 3 or fewer bit. A bit crazy for an air rifle when a shotgun falls in to Cat 1.

Just my opinion.... but ... Any type of firearm should be held in a safe. I realise that there may be alot of people out there with a single shotgun that use it as part of there work but at the end of the day.. its still a firearm and dangerous in the wrong hands ! I thing the think tank behind the new laws really let that pass to easy... Oh... and all airsoft and deactivated should have to have a certain percentage of there overall outside area in a fluorescent colour !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

kenneths wrote: »
    i have a question on secure storage....
    i recieved my shotgun licence recently.
    i now have sent in a .22 application.
    my brother is waiting on a shotgun licence.
    my father is waiting on an air rifle licence.

does this mean we need to meet the 3 or more standard i.e. safe,alarm,bs3621 locks.
    OR
    is it on an individual basis i.e. i would have 2 so use a gun safe, brother & father have 1 each and allowed storage broken?

i have a 3 gun safe, door locks meet bs 3621 but no alarm

Your opinions please

From chatting to lads and at a meeting with our local FO, they will look to the total number in the house. Think about it logically, there are three firearms in the house so three firearms must be stored securely as per the SI.
    ______

BTW have to agree that even if there is one firearm get a safe/cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

spoke to the FO and he said just get rid of one,
    so the fathers Air rifle is now been handed in to be decommisioned. (it was rubbish anyway :rolleyes: )

Just my opinion.... but ... Any type of firearm should be held in a safe. I realise that there may be alot of people out there with a single shotgun that use it as part of there work but at the end of the day.. its still a firearm and dangerous in the wrong hands ! I thing the think tank behind the new laws really let that pass to easy... Oh... and all airsoft and deactivated should have to have a certain percentage of there overall outside area in a fluorescent colour !

I agree entirely. It is somewhat ridicilous that having a shotgun does not require a safe but an air rifle has to be stored in a safe. They should all be in a safe as you say but tell that to the 150,000 or so in farmers hands who have had shotguns in their homes for decades. It would be lost on someone like our Grandfathers why he has to shell out €150 notes on a gun safe.

+ 1 On the airsoft thing. Should be all luminous!

Advertisement