Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Annual Review Thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

keane2097 wrote: »
    [Any Prefix]

Right?

Don't think it works like that. At least for me when you select [Any Prefix] no filtering is done. [Any Prefix] is the default setting. So if you left the superthreads with no prefix they would still be shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Don't think it works like that. At least for me when you select [Any Prefix] no filtering is done. [Any Prefix] is the default setting. So if you left the superthreads with no prefix they would still be shown.

There's a (no prefix) option, so it doesn't really matter whether you decide to give superthreads or every other thread a prefix. It'd probably make more sense to just have a prefix on superthreads though as there'll be a limited amount of them.

L'prof wrote: »
    There's a (no prefix) option, so it doesn't really matter whether you decide to give superthreads or every other thread a prefix. It'd probably make more sense to just have a prefix on superthreads though as there'll be a limited amount of them.

Thats my preferred option as I posted earlier. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67012733&postcount=572

Less housework for all involved.

Thats my preferred option as I posted earlier. :)

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67012733&postcount=572

Less housework for all involved.

Nevermind the housework ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

We could just get rid of the superthreads and go back to one topic per thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The tags along with getting rid of the superthreads would probably be an ok middle ground.

However, I doubt people will use the tag filtering feature (certainly other forums that used it, scrapped it after a while, e.g. bargain alerts), and it's still no better than setting up a few forums (not divided along team loyalties).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Oh 1 more thing, how come the Villa thread didn't get a 10/11 version? seeing as we comfortably get more posters & posts then small timers like Man City, Chelsea, Celtic or even Arsenal, all of whom got threads for the new season, strikes me as odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Are the users of the soccer forum going to have a say via a poll or whatever on superthreads etc? If so, when will it happen? If it does happen via a poll then it might be a good idea to leave the poll up for at least 2 weeks so that everyone has a chance to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Didn't that already happen more than once?

EDIT: Like are people just wanting to keep voting over and over until we get a result they like? It all sounds a bit Lisbon Treaty to me...

EDIT: Like are people just wanting to keep voting over and over until we get a result they like? It all sounds a bit Lisbon Treaty to me...

I might be wrong, but I think what was voted on was a bit different to what's being suggested now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

A pit of consistency in the soccer access request forum, I was banned from applying for a month because I wasn't a boards member for a month ( I thought it was just 50 posts needed), my mistake which was fair enough.

I was looking at it there a while ago and there was people applying who hadn't enough posts of applied incorrectly or whatever and they were just denied access, no ban.

Yes I'm still bitter about it

EDIT: Found examples, 1st one is some guy with not enough posts being told just to read the charter again. 2nd is mine

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055918309

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64992430#post64992430

On the contrary, i voted last time to keep it as it is. The same tired points came out last year as they are now imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think this thread should be left open permanently.

daithijjj wrote: »
    On the contrary, i voted last time to keep it as it is. The same tired points came out last year as they are now imo.

I don't remember the tags being discussed last time and I don't see any reason not to implement them as outlined since it will have zero impact on those that want to keep it as it is and provide something to those those who want to hide the superthreads. I don't get the fight against it :confused:

I don't remember the tags being discussed last time and I don't see any reason not to implement them as outlined since it will have zero impact on those that want to keep it as it is and provide something to those those who want to hide the superthreads. I don't get the fight against it :confused:

Yes, you are right. My point wasnt on tags, it was on the point of sub forums, apologies, didnt make that clear. If folk want the option to hide superthreads, fair enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think this thread should be left open permanently.

I don't agree,although many good suggestions have come from this thread I think its a better system to open it up once a year.That way when we do change things they have time to settle down and get bedded in.We don't want to be constantly changing things,the novelty factor would soon wear off and most lads would stop reading this thread and then not be fully up to date.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There wouldn't necessarily be any changes made, but if someone has a great idea in November it would be handy to have some place to post a suggestion rather than wait eight months and forget it. What is the current procedure in such a case?

There wouldn't necessarily be any changes made, but if someone has a great idea in November it would be handy to have some place to post a suggestion rather than wait eight months and forget it. What is the current procedure in such a case?

No procedure as such but you could PM a mod,or as we are all well to aware soccer threads pop up from time to time in feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just something that came up in the Liverpool superthread now about postinf sources for stories.

What would people think about it being made an informal rule that when people are pasting stories that they provide the link/source so people can see who/where/what is responsible for the story. Personally I give no creedence to some sources like goal.com, caughtoffside etc so it's annoying to read a story and then see that it's from somewhere like that.

Also I don't know if it annoys other people but what do people think about the habit some people have of posting something like - did you see this and then just posting a link to a website so you have to click on the link and go off-site to see what it's about - would it kill people to either copy and paste
    the story or just post a line. There's also the fact that some people are in work/mobile devices and might not be able to follow the links and you get into the whole rigmarole of them asking whats this and someone having to fill them in.

Moany small stuff I know but I'm in a moany mood today.:p

I don't think there needs to be formal rules but if it was informally adopted it would make life that small bit easier for others. Maybe have into in the rules section for newbie posts so they pcik up the habit when they arrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

In relation to Superthreads i am still torn on what would be the best thing to do.

I myself rarely post in them, and i think the reason is because they are so big and expansive, with so much going on that for some reason i just have a quick look and back out.

I will admit that i would be much more likely to post in say a thread about Man Utd - if it was in a Man Utd forum - and all the small topics that make up the Superthread had their own thread.

I also feel it would tidy up the place a good deal, both the main forum and the Superthreads. I may add at this point that i wouldn't agree with a forum that contains the superthreads as i don't really see the point in that. I don't see it as a big deal - they don't annoy me visually and i don't mind clicking to page 2 or 3.

Obviously a Forum for all clubs would not be feesable, for example the club i support, Blackburn, could not sustain one, it struggles to stay afloat in the Main Forum. With this in mind i don't feel specific Club Forums would harm the smaller clubs - it may be somewhat beneficial.

On the other side of the scale i would hate to think that we would lose contributions in the main forum as a result of a restructure, although i see no reason why this would happen if we take for example the Spurs Supporters Forum - I don't know about all, but we at least have a few Spurs members who frequent the main forum.

It is hard to call, what i'm trying to say though is i know for a fact i would interact more with Liverpool, Man Utd fans for example in a Club Specific forum than i would at present, but i don't think my behaviour as it stands would change if all the Superthreads went to a superthread forum - in fact i think i would look at the thread less than i do.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input we have had some excellent suggestions/ideas and I am sure its going to take us a while to go through them all.This thread is open a week now so I think its time we closed it,if anything comes to your mind just PM your thoughts to any soccer mod.

Once again thanks for the feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement