Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Annual Review Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

see what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and is ntlbell really coming up with an idea that ensures even more trolling? seriously? im reading that right yeah? "banter beware" = i want to stay in the lines but still rile up other fans cos I enjoy that sorta thing, otherwise i wouldnt be suggesting it.
    A troll is someone who posts for a reaction, but won't back up their position.

cops-the-animated-series-20060227103349192-000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jazzy wrote: »
    and is ntlbell really coming up with an idea that ensures even more trolling? seriously? im reading that right yeah? "banter beware" = i want to stay in the lines but still rile up other fans cos I enjoy that sorta thing, otherwise i wouldnt be suggesting it.

I always back up my position, and then mods say i'm swimming against the tide on purpose or something

You can't win Jazzy

ntlbell wrote: »
    I always back up my position, and then mods say i'm swimming against the tide on purpose or something

You can't win Jazzy

but you want specific match threads were you can have a go against other posters without having to back up your position. derp derp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

That wont happen, 2 threads per match wont happen

I will be posting alot less. I've seen a lot of people leave this forum, people I know in the real world and in the boardsie world, its a pity.

• Advertisement

but you want specific match threads were you can have a go against other posters without having to back up your position. derp derp

As usual I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here..

Are you showing off that you can see through my cunning plan so i can abuse people in peace?

I don't particularly want sepeare forums, I would prefer if a few adults on a soccer forum could have a bit of a kneedle between each other without any tears.

That doesn't seem to be the case, so an option would be to sepearte the threads so anyone who is overly sensitive to a bit of kneedling can be kept safely away from it...

or an option might be to stop people going into match threads for no other reason than to piss people off.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    or an option might be to stop people going into match threads for no other reason than to piss people off.

Well can you define this?

Let say,

mike65, goes into a man u thread.

They're not playing liverpool,wolves or any of the long list of teams he supports

and a goal is scored against united.

it has no baring on any of his teams

and comes in

and his only contrubution is

YES!! GET IN !!

blah blah

should he be banned?

Trilla wrote: »
    That wont happen, 2 threads per match wont happen

I will be posting alot less. I've seen a lot of people leave this forum, people I know in the real world and in the boardsie world, its a pity.

exactly, there is a lot of good posters gone. i put the majority of the blame on the same trolls. they just take up so much space and so many pages, but nothing has been done about it for literally years. some of the trolls are so ridiculously obvious that they even have their name tagged on the bottom of the threads they troll.
    but its exactly like the spurs forum. the mods let it happen and now the horse has bolted, they cant take action because it will be like "well why didnt you take action before?" while they see good posters leave and threads go for pages and pages with bait/counter bait.

well, now is their chance. they can either leave the trolls continue to f**k up threads and cause said threads to go on for pages and pages without any points being made and no real discussion happen, or they can take action and nip the trolls in the bud. trolling begets trolling, and the longer it goes on, the more we will see. its a small percentage of the users here that are these spam trolls, but the forum would be so much better without them... or with them posting in a constructive manner...

Let say,

They're not playing liverpool,wolves or any of the long list of teams he supports

and comes in

YES!! GET IN !!

blah blah

should he be banned?

probably not, but he probably shouldnt do it all the time and on every thread in the page over and over and then go onto another thread and try the same sorta crap and take up a load of time, space and energy. he sure would look like a complete d1ckhead if he did that lemme tell ya.
    ntlbell wrote:
    As usual I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here..

Are you showing off that you can see through my cunning plan so i can abuse people in peace?

I don't particularly want sepeare forums, I would prefer if a few adults on a soccer forum could have a bit of a kneedle between each other without any tears.

That doesn't seem to be the case, so an option would be to sepearte the threads so anyone who is overly sensitive to a bit of kneedling can be kept safely away from it...

yeah pretty much. you'd love to abuse people in peace. you'd love to sit on the ivory tower and take the p1ss out of liverpool fans all day every day if you had the chance, and why should we or anyone else have to put up with this sort of primary school spam/time wasting

• Advertisement

Let say,

and comes in

YES!! GET IN !!

blah blah

should he be banned?
    Once off should be an infraction. but if he does it every week, then yes, a ban from the United Thread/Match Thread would be fair, its not a positive contribution to the forum.

probably not, but he probably shouldnt do it all the time and on every thread in the page over and over and then go onto another thread and try the same sorta crap and take up a load of time, space and energy. he sure would look like a complete d1ckhead if he did that lemme tell ya.

Why shouldn't he?

What if it pi$$ed me off?

yeah pretty much. you'd love to abuse people in peace. you'd love to sit on the ivory tower and take the p1ss out of liverpool fans all day every day if you had the chance, and why should we or anyone else have to put up with this sort of primary school spam/time wasting

ok

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Once off should be an infraction. but if he does it every week, then yes, a ban from the United Thread/Match Thread would be fair, its not a positive contribution to the forum.
    An infraction for that, imo, is nonsense.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

so as i was saying, there would be no one left.

we're getting there.

An infraction for that, imo, is nonsense.
    Once off may be harsh, maybe no infraction, but if his sole contribution to the forum was that sorta ****e week in week out, a ban from the relevant threads would be fair

Why shouldn't he?

What if it pi$$ed me off?

once off and if it isnt a common occrance, then its grand. but i see you are playing dumb, so let Dr. Jazzy nail this sh1t down for ya:

basically, if mike65 did that every week, for every match then yeah, it really grates all the regular fans who post on the thread. it becomes a case of "oh this guy again. i suppose hes going to make the usual song and dance and wind up everybody". because the thing is, he wouldnt stop at "GET IN!!", he'd continue later in the thread too either in a limited capacity or he would completely take over the thread.
    now imagine that this is every week, across multiple threads, for a good 4/5 years. then it becomes a case of "this guy is just taking the p1ss because he really enjoys it. its almost a need for him to wind us up over football results". then it becomes an issue where the said poster is ruining the forum and its enjoyment for a lot of people. this is where the issue becomes retarded..

you report the posts, mod says no he isnt trolling...
    you call the guy on it and say "stop trolling", mod infracts you for calling another poster a troll.
    people leave the forum due to this low level trolling, no its not the trolls fault, its cos their team is doing badly or some other inane excuse.

and now here we are, at another review thread and do you really think its going to change? nope. as i explained, the horse has bolted. and of course some posters are going to rejoyce at this as they will get their daily giggle and their weekend jollies out of riling up people via the internet. and who are we to do anything about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Homerjay

Wow, lol.

once off and if it isnt a common occrance, then its grand. but i see you are playing dumb, so let Dr. Jazzy nail this sh1t down for ya:

To be honest, I'm tiring of your personal attack on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

When I first joined the forum I got banned for telling a joke , No problem with that , was against the rules etc...
    But it has always made me think that the Forum could do with a Football Humour thread /sticky ,Funny photos and captions welcome , During the season there will be some cracking jokes doing the rounds and it would be nice to share them also think it would help with the banter issue give people a place to lighten the mood and share a laugh .
    A simple Enter at Own Risk Would be enough of a warning IMO to keep over sensitive out.

To be honest, I'm tiring of your personal attack on me.

ignore the good points im making :)

and its not a personal attack, you either didnt read enough into my post on purpose or you truly didnt get it
    Jazzy wrote:

but either way, I explained it well enough in my post above for ya to get. i honestly would have thought you would get it though. you have been posting here 5 years or so and have seen a zillion match threads so I would have at least expected some sort of knowledge on how they usually pan out and how they get locked. so if you werent playing dumb, do you just not understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Comments are being posted all over the place to annoy rival supporters in the SF..That's a fact we know, but I suppose the longer ya post here the more ya know who are deliberately spouting things to get a reaction and ya learn to just ignore them, let the blood settle and continue reading....

Just happened there now in the Man Utd thread. I saw a post slagging a manager, blood boiled for a min, saw the posters name and moved on.......

Would've most likely posted back with some smarty arsed answer about his team manager when I first joined SF resulting in more useless posts and going around in pointless discussion but have learned rather quickly not to respond to obvious wind up merchants...

It's annoying and I hate not responding but like people here have said, if ya don't respond they can't argue with themselves!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The forum is very well run imo. Hats off to the mod team for that. Much better than a few years back. WP.

I think the length of ban time for the 6 yellows, while fine in theory has been shown to be excessive, especially when obvious trolls/troublemakers seem to be able to avoid bans full stop, however its been well debated on the thread already with excellent points made - by Des in particular

Maybe its just me but the quality of posting on here has dropped a lot over the last season, not much the mods can do about that I guess, but its meant I've begun to read here a LOT less.

In summary, wp mods keep it up, but look at the yellow system/trolls.

Posters - sort yourselves out.

Jazzy, baby, I'm with you. 100%. All the way etc, etc.

But it just ain't going to happen. I've argued this until I've been blue in the face - both in the public forum and behind closed doors in the Mod forum.

The moderators know who the troublemakers are. They are fully aware of their modus operandi, and are adept at perceiving exactly when they are doing what they do.

They just don't have the stomach to do anything about it. It would be difficult, it would be extremely time consuming, and they would be dragged through Feedback on the back of a horse repeatedly for it.

Every time we have these threads, the same cabaal comes out of the woodwork to tell us that people 'need a thicker skin' and 'having a different opinion isn't trolling'. Everyone knows why they are compelled to argue that position. The thing of it is - as I have always noted - they are smart people and more than capable of obfuscating the issue well enough when required.

This is the way it is. The solution is to expand your ignore list and / or cut them off at the pass when they come in with the guns blazing at the expected times.

Just have to accept it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Muppet wrote: »
    In my experience the appeal process works, I don't think anyone should think the way you suggest.

Exactly. Problem is, that appeal could have went either way. Admin may have said, "well looking at your past history, card stands" or as does happen, despite the common perception, the card nay have been wiped.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is it only Liverpool fans that are suffering from this persecusion complex or is it more widespread that that.
    ?

really lads some og ye should read the ****e ye are posting here. It's an internet forum discussing the beautiful game and all it entails, that includes ribbing, banter , trolling or whatever name you want to put on it. It' harmless crack.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

But it just ain't going to happen. I've argued this until I've been blue in the face - both in the public forum and behind closed doors in the Mod forum.

The moderators know who the troublemakers are. They are fully aware of their modus operandi, and are adept at perceiving exactly when they are doing what they do.

They just don't have the stomach to do anything about it. It would be difficult, it would be extremely time consuming, and they would be dragged through Feedback on the back of a horse repeatedly for it.

Every time we have these threads, the same cabaal comes out of the woodwork to tell us that people 'need a thicker skin' and 'having a different opinion isn't trolling'. Everyone knows why they are compelled to argue that position. The thing of it is - as I have always noted - they are smart people and more than capable of obfuscating the issue well enough when required.

This is the way it is. The solution is to expand your ignore list and / or cut them off at the pass when they come in with the guns blazing at the expected times.

This sounds like some obscure conspiracy theory that there's a band of brothers who just wait to pounce on threads and are so clever they can get away with and some of the anti troll stuff is coming from people who have on MANY occassions been right in the middle of the trolling, it's laughable really.

I'll take it you're referring to me in that post.

I haven't been infracted on the SF for nearly 12 months.

and that was for saying rafa was a world class manager?

K-9 wrote: »
    Exactly. Problem is, that appeal could have went either way. Admin may have said, "well looking at your past history, card stands" or as does happen, despite the common perception, the card nay have been wiped.

I spoke from experience and beleive it or not I'm told I have a wee bit of past history myself. I'm just mellow these days, easily owned apparently;)

Is it only Liverpool fans that are suffering from this persecusion complex or is it more widespread that that.
    ?

really lads some og ye should read the ****e ye are posting here. It's an internet forum discussing the beautiful game and all it entails, that includes ribbing, banter , trolling or whatever name you want to put on it. It' harmless crack.

I'm sort of glad you said that and not me.

But I was thinking the same thing

yup. agree with ya there. i said it in a recent post there too. nothing is going to be done about it and it just looks like we are going to have to put up with it :s i really dont want to use the ignore feature as Im kinda in the frame of mind that its against the idea of boards and a forum.
    ah but sure, we're liverpool fans - theres always next year :D
    I'm sort of glad you said that and not me.

But I was thinking the same thing

hes no boggles though is he ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

?

Yeah, well, that's easy to say when everything is rosey in your own garden. Maybe you should experience all of the crap we did last season and the subsequent trolling that went with it and get back to me.

yup. agree with ya there. i said it in a recent post there too. nothing is going to be done about it and it just looks like we are going to have to put up with it :s i really dont want to use the ignore feature as Im kinda in the frame of mind that its against the idea of boards and a forum.
    ah but sure, we're liverpool fans - theres always next year :D

hes no boggles though is he ;)

Poor Jazzy, you're really unhappy that the froum isn't run to suit a handful of oversensitive souls like your self who just can't handle criticism of their clubs. You agreed with Des's post earlier without realising that he was criticising users for diplaying similar behaviour to yourself. .

Man Up like agood lad.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yeah, well, that's easy to say when everything is rosey in your own garden. Maybe you should experience all of the crap we did last season and the subsequent trolling that went with it and get back to me.

Everthings far from Rosy at United and our thread got pretty heated at times last season, i don't see the same level of complaints about it here tbh.

Everthings far from Rosy at United and our thread got pretty heated at times last season, i don't seee the same level of complaints about it here tbh.

In comparison to our situation, you're doing alright. ;) Well that's fine that you don't feel the need to complain, maybe you enjoy being riled up so you can respond in kind.

In comparison to our situation, you're doing alright. ;) Well that's fine that you don't feel the need to complain, maybe you enjoy being riled up so you can respond in kind.

Maybe I accept being riled by opposing supporters is part and parcel of being a football supporter.

Poor Jazzy, you're really unhappy that the froum isn't run to suit a handful of oversensitive souls like your self who just can't handle criticism of their clubs. You agreed with Des's post earlier without realising that he was criticising users for diplaying similar behaviour to yourself. .

Man Up like agood lad.

no, i just dont like time wasters like you. theres the difference. the forum is run to suit low level primary school trolling and us not being able to do anything about it. i notice neither of you are able to take up my points here but are instead doing the usual "oversensitive, man up" approach. notice the pattern? nah, you'll probably just ignore it as it doesnt suit :)
    and as regard des's post, i have backed myself up, numerous times. sure even just the other day I caught you at it again, posted as much, brought it to a mods attention and still nothing has been done. im the least likely to take offence on this forum and i dont mind the banter, i see it across the board. but what im talking about here is trolling, not banter... i know i know muppet, the difference is blurry and so are the lines, but isnt that the way you like it? :)

• Advertisement

?

That's funny, I thought it was united fans that were the ones being supposedly persecuted and singled out recently !!

Maybe I accept being riled by opposing supporters is part and parcel of being a football supporter.

There's a difference between a bit of banter with mates down in the pub and some little tool on the internet that you have no other dealings with other than when he rears his head to troll. ;)

There's a difference between a bit of banter with mates down in the pub and some little tool on the internet that you have no other dealings with other than when he rears his head to troll. ;)

Not to me there's not , not that i agree there is no community\connection between users here mind. I think unfortunate events in the last year has shown that there is a strong connection/community spirit between regular users here. We're not all just some stranger on the interenet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

sigh.......

and here we go again. At some point there will be a thread that actually doesn't go wildly off-topic along the lines of club allegiances.

There are many many hyper sensitive fans from every club on here. There are multiple posters from every club on here that in my view contribute little to the development and smooth running of the forum. this doesn't mean they're a troll.If somebody is obviously trolling then they are dealt with. Just because someone takes a contrary position to you that doesn't make them a troll.

Getting back to a point I made earlier going into an opposition match thread and posting "GET IN" when they concede a goal is all part of the game imo and should be taken as such. We're all bloody thinking it at the time whether it be the lifelong nemesis of your team, a bet you have, or just because you don't like the personalities of the team in question. I have no problem with anyone coming into a United thread and posting "Get In" "Delighted" "C'mon XXx" or whatever at any point, it's part and parcel of the game and maybe it's something we need to discuss further as part of the overall review.

Incidentally, there are a number of users toeing a very thin line here regarding attacking posters rather than posts. We want honest and forthright feedback, but the same rules apply to this thread as to all others. If we feel that certain people are using this thread to take potshots at posters they don't like then we will infract and ban as a result

?

I don't think so. Seen a couple of clubs supporters being a bit precious in the past, don't think it is any one club predominantly. Because Pool and indeed United have more supporters and busier threads, it may seem that way.

I'd agree we are arguing over six of one, half a dozen of another at this stage.

I'd say the most common post on this thread is how well the forum is run and far better than a couple of years ago.

PS. On the club thing, there are probably more Pool posters accused of trolling on the super thread than others.

On the 6 yellow cards, no matter what ban system you have, there will always be critics, hence the changes last year because it was too strict.
    Prefer the older system and I think this one is too lenient. To me, the current system facilitates the low level trolls far more, because the yellow cards are meaningless really, until the sixth one.

The other system gives you a few of chances before a ban and really, if you are still accruing cards after that, well.................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

personally i think everyone knows its plain as day when someone is intentionally being a prick in a thread. maybe the mods just need to more frequently need avail of the boardswide, 'don't be a dick' rule

Arguing over "GET IN" is silly. It's going to happen, especially near the end of the season when a team losing may be the result you want for your team. Hell, I was shouting for United in a few games near the end of the season.

personally i think everyone knows its plain as day when someone is intentionally being a prick in a thread. maybe the mods just need to more frequently need avail of the boardswide, 'don't be a dick' rule

They have no interest in doing so.

They have no interest in doing so.
    Then a thread like this, although done with good intention, is a bit of a waste of time

When it boils down to it it's basically the superthreads and match threads that see almost all the problems.

Match threads are generally pretty well moderated imo. Usually an on-thread warning is enough to stop most of the trolling.

The superthreads are another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I wouldn't say it's limited at all.

A huge percentage of posters post things that they know verey well will rile up someone or other.

Because of how thier post maybe worded or based on their history it gets overlooked or not percived as trolling.

Some people post "witty" pictures knowing it's going to get a big reaction, even mods have history of it.

I can't recall ever hearding any football discussion where there's rival fans involved that didn't involve some sort of "trolling"

very few posters could claim they have never trolled or dont so on a regular basis

People are always going to get wound up by something, take the Thierry Henry incident, the abuse he got on the night and in the aftermath was OTT, a lot of the posts and signatures people used after did wind me up, though I fully understand why people were upset even though it was all double standard imo, but I didn't go reporting posts, why would I?

Talking of users signatures can mods clarify what is and what is not allowed with regards attacking players/clubs, I think I know the answer to this myself but why was it acceptable in the Henry incident to have certain signatures that would not be tolerated normally.

Not sure if it is but is it possible if you choose to ignore a poster that you won't see their posts if someone else quotes them?

That would solve alot of problems.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not sure if it is but is it possible if you choose to ignore a poster that you won't see their posts if someone else quotes them?

From what I know of the vbulletin software, this isn't possible (though boards.ie obviously use a more advanced version).

From what I know of the vbulletin software, this isn't possible (though boards.ie obviously use a more advanced version).

Tis a pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Tis a pity

It is possible. Just take a gander at my earlier post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66920549&postcount=272

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement