Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Annual Review Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It is possible. Just take a gander at my earlier post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66920549&postcount=272

AWESOME!!

I'm going to call this "The Justice add-on". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why do people think that you can't have "banter" on the forum anyway? I have great craic in here more often than not, you just have to think a little about the way you say things. For every serious post i make, I'd say i make two that are tongue in cheek, but I've only been infracted once in the last year and not once in tha last 6 months.

Most times its not so much what you say its the way you put it: you can poke fun at opposition teams, (which is part and parcel of being a football fan, ahuge part of it for me anyway) but not be a total c*nt about it at the same time.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Iago wrote: »
    sigh.......

and here we go again. At some point there will be a thread that actually doesn't go wildly off-topic along the lines of club allegiances.

There are many many hyper sensitive fans from every club on here. There are multiple posters from every club on here that in my view contribute little to the development and smooth running of the forum. this doesn't mean they're a troll.If somebody is obviously trolling then they are dealt with. Just because someone takes a contrary position to you that doesn't make them a troll.

Getting back to a point I made earlier going into an opposition match thread and posting "GET IN" when they concede a goal is all part of the game imo and should be taken as such. We're all bloody thinking it at the time whether it be the lifelong nemesis of your team, a bet you have, or just because you don't like the personalities of the team in question. I have no problem with anyone coming into a United thread and posting "Get In" "Delighted" "C'mon XXx" or whatever at any point, it's part and parcel of the game and maybe it's something we need to discuss further as part of the overall review.

If the right to come into a thread and post something like "YESSSSS!!!!!" or "Get the fuk in!!!!!" when a team you have no connection with scores against your rivals, then the right to reply with "fuk off" should be allowed as well imo.

It is obviously a heated point, and I really have no problem with either, but one should not be allowed without the other, even if it is limited to match threads. To use a comparison, if a mate of mine celebrated in my face when Liverpool conceeded, I'd at the very least tell him where to go, and that is part of the banter as well. It would be unfair to allow triumphalism in this context with no right to reply other than in extremely couched language.

This is not generally the type of thing that causes the main issues though imo, and it is the far more subtle stuff like "Team A is crap, the manager is crap, and as for that donkey in the midfield? He was rubbish tonight and couldn't pass the dutchie, never mind the ball". It is hard to get in context here obviously. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but there is a huge difference from people holding often contrary views and discussing them properly, and those that are intended to needle behind a veil of 'opposing views'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why do people think that you can't have "banter" on the forum anyway? I have great craic in here more often than not, you just have to think a little about the way you say things. For every serious post i make, I'd say i make two that are tongue in cheek, but I've only been infracted once in the last year and not once in tha last 6 months.

Most times its not so much what you say its the way you put it: you can poke fun at opposition teams, (which is part and parcel of being a football fan, ahuge part of it for me anyway) but not be a total c*nt about it at the same time.

I've written posts sometimes and then held back from posting them although its intention is a bit of banter, its that grey area again.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I've written posts sometimes and then held back from posting them although its intention is a bit of banter, its that grey area again.

I do it all the time. If its really something you have to think twice about, in most cases its probably with good reason that you don't hit that reply button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Muppet wrote: »
    Is it only Liverpool fans that are suffering from this persecusion complex or is it more widespread that that.
    ?

It's probably be cause the liverpool thread is one the most active and therefore people tend to be drawn to it do get some discussion.

Personally I don't really give too ****s. If people think the person the are talking to is a troll the just dont respond or use the ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it is.

but it's the written word at the end of the day.

by it's very nature you have to be careful, because it's so easy to misinterpret. so for us to mod it, there has to be some sort of 'line' drawn for the banter, in terms of the language used and such.

otherwise it becomes impossible to guess.

so should the responsibility not lie with the poster mostly, to be careful with his/her choice of words, rather than the mod guess if it's 'banter'?

SlickRic wrote: »
    it is.

but it's the written word at the end of the day.

by it's very nature you have to be careful, because it's so easy to misinterpret. so for us to mod it, there has to be some sort of 'line' drawn for the banter, in terms of the language used and such.

otherwise it becomes impossible to guess.

so should the responsibility not lie with the poster mostly, to be careful with his/her choice of words, rather than the mod guess if it's 'banter'?

I supposed so, as mentioned if you have to think twice about it then maybe its best not to post it or delete the post.

I would say mods get so many posts reported though that really shouldn't be but you guys obviously have to go through each reported post.

I just think posters should realise that things are going to be said in the heat of the moment especially in match threads and not be so quick to report posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i was out, and i got thinkin "ya know, 2 threads per match would be good." its like that bit in the simpsons when marge is making a birthday cake and homer comes into the kitchen and was going to go at the cake, but marge had already made a seperate big mess of a cake for homer to ruin instead of the nice one.
    but no, its stupid really as there would be far too many useless threads about which add nothing and those threads would only become a magnet for undesirables to join the forum.

ah well, looks like obviousness isnt welcome here but bureaucracy and blurred lines are. and here was me thinking this thread would be about making the forum run better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally, I don't understand why people don't use ignore more. If you don't want debate and discussion about your team from rival fans, you're on the wrong forum. However, some people I just think are stupid and their opinions I couldnt care less about. There's plenty of people whose opinions I frankly couldn't care less about, many of them with over 5,000 posts, and I have them on ignore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »
    Personally, I don't understand why people don't use ignore more. If you don't want debate and discussion about your team from rival fans, you're on the wrong forum. However, some people I just think are stupid and their opinions I couldnt care less about. There's plenty of people whose opinions I frankly couldn't care less about, many of them with over 5,000 posts, and I have them on ignore.

i dont mind rival fans at all, in fact some of them make the most sense on the whole forum. its the ones that waste time and space that really p1ss me off. the ones that are just there to score points and not add anything with any actual depth other then to laugh at supporters/other boards posters here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That Fire Fox add - on will be getting a lot of use from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

PHB wrote: »

Because a lot of the time that person will be quoted anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That Fire Fox add - on will be getting a lot of use from me.

Tried it before, useful but not really my cup of tea. The User CP notification thingey is handy for new posts. For posters who don't like the super threads you can hide them.

Used with AutoPager :: Add-ons for Firefox which automatically loads the next page of the forum and threads, very handy for Boards. Works on Google and loads of other sites too. Best FF add on ever.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

mars bar wrote: »
    Because a lot of the time that person will be quoted anyway...

Well, you just have to ignore the quote when you see the posters name.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A contribution from Headshot...
    Headshot wrote:
    the mods talk about no bias, well what do you call a pool fan going over ahead of a a fellow mods to give an infraction to utd fan?
    Look at it from my point of view and then given a card from the same mod for a joke, what am i suppose to think?

I applaud the majority of the mods on the sf because they really do a great job, the majority of my infractions were justified, really doing stupid things in the heat of the moment stuff (red card one) but when a user gets a infraction for a joke etc its pretty bad

I want to ask the mods something, is calling someone a lazy bum still an infraction and if so (cant wait to hear this) explain why it is.

Another thing I want to ask is, what are your thoughts on a mod going over another mods head to give an infraction? (absolutely stinks to me)

the sf mods are very inconsistent, iv seen people calling this player twat etc but yet no card, why is that? Dont get me wrong you shouldn't get a card for that but when a previous user got a card for that why isnt another user getting a card?

I could go on and talk about reducing the 6 month ban which is pretty extreme imo but ill probably be wasting my time unfortunately but maybe a progress of reducing the ban and when the user comes back, have them on a newbie probation period or somthing like that

Why i didnt kick up a fuss about some of my cards at the time? I dont like hassle and I dont believe in the appeal process. I did kick up a fuss when i got banned thou but yet a cmod tried to hide behind the charter to justify the lazy bum infraction

****ing nonsense

So, what about moving the super threads to their own sub forum?

Like the idea myself as it frees up the first page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They have no interest in doing so.

That's a bit of a generalisation. Ive no doubt that one or two at least would be more than happy to apply that sort of attitude.

However the problem is that is not black and white and would be solely at the discretion of that mod at the time.

If people trusted the mods enough to act appropriately with that responsibility then definitely bring it in.

I don't think people do trust them though as we've seen lately.

the sf mods are very inconsistent, iv seen people calling this player twat etc but yet no card, why is that? Dont get me wrong you shouldn't get a card for that but when a previous user got a card for that why isnt another user getting a card?

I think Headshot makes a good point in regards to the above, it is either ok to insult a player/set up signatures etc or it is not, if it is ok to call one player a twat/cheat, be insulting etc and set up signatures knocking a player and not get a yellow card then it has to ok for all players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I think Headshot makes a good point in regards to the above, it is either ok to insult a player/set up signatures etc or it is not, if it is ok to call one player a twat/cheat, be insulting etc and set up signatures knocking a player and not get a yellow card then it has to ok for all players.

He really doesn't to be honest.

What people seem to forget is that we don't get to read every single post made on the SF. There are threads that I never click into unless I'm sent a reported post to look at, even then I get directed to the post in question and unless I need to reference back and see context I may not read the rest of the thread.

We are very consistent in our modding regarding abuse, what isn't consistent is the reporting of abuse when it happens. If it isn't reported then there's a chance that none of us ever see it, and therefore no action is taken. It's not that we treat posters differently, it's that we can't see everything.

I know for you the Henry incident is the specific example you're talking about. I infracted and removed any abuse I saw. I don't think the word "cheat" is abuse, and there's no doubt that he cheated. I would mod the exact same way if it was Robbie Keane for Ireland, or Wayne Rooney for United who did the same thing. That, to my mind at least, is consistency of approach.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    If the right to come into a thread and post something like "YESSSSS!!!!!" or "Get the fuk in!!!!!" when a team you have no connection with scores against your rivals, then the right to reply with "fuk off" should be allowed as well imo.

It is obviously a heated point, and I really have no problem with either, but one should not be allowed without the other, even if it is limited to match threads. To use a comparison, if a mate of mine celebrated in my face when Liverpool conceeded, I'd at the very least tell him where to go, and that is part of the banter as well. It would be unfair to allow triumphalism in this context with no right to reply other than in extremely couched language.

I agree completely. The issue in the past was giving an inch, like the above, and watching numerous users take a mile. They weren't content to say Fúck off, they had to add personal abuse in on top of it and it escalates from there. Being a poster in that situation isn't a huge deal, you either respond in kind or report the post (or in some cases do both) trying to moderate that though is nigh on impossible.

As it is, with the sanitized version, we can get 25-50 reported posts for each contentious match. Given that we aren't online 24/7 and that most of us are actually at our teams matches all season threads can easily lose the run of themselves before someone can put a stop to it. Not to mention that if we dare to lock a thread while cleaning it up 5/6 duplicates will pop up in the forum while we're at it.

5starpool wrote: »
    This is not generally the type of thing that causes the main issues though imo, and it is the far more subtle stuff like "Team A is crap, the manager is crap, and as for that donkey in the midfield? He was rubbish tonight and couldn't pass the dutchie, never mind the ball". It is hard to get in context here obviously. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but there is a huge difference from people holding often contrary views and discussing them properly, and those that are intended to needle behind a veil of 'opposing views'.

As for this, sometimes Team A is crap, the manager is crap (or has made a series of bad decisions) and the midfielder is a donkey. Granted it's like someone telling you that your missus is a little on the fugly side, but just because you don't like hearing it doesn't mean it's not true :)

While I'd prefer that if someone was making the point that United are shít, they would take the time to articulate the various reasons why they believe it, that's just not going to happen all the time. There will be some users who can articulate themselves very well, and some who can't but make the same point in a blunter fashion. Yes there will also be users who are just looking to rile other posters but is that any different to any group of people you meet in real life?

In real life you ignore, or avoid being around them. On here you have the same options open to you. The danger with subtlety is that bannings on the back of it are going to be very subjective, i.e. the "acting like a dick" rule that's been mentioned a few times is related to either

a) being abusive towards other posters

b) being disruptive for the sake of being disruptive

Somebody posting in a thread that United/Liverpool/Chelsea are shít may well hold that opinion. I can't ban them just because I don't think they've articulated themselves well and they "might" be just looking for a reaction. If we were to go down that route I can think of at least a dozen regular posters from 2/3 clubs that would never get back into the forum again. Some of whom are amongst the most vocal in looking for this to happen, but only towards those that they believe are acting like a dick. As I say, completely subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

put match threads in a sub forum and ban idiots from that forum if they start taking the p!ss, start with 2 days and increase as needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I was just wondering why I recieved a warning for using bad language from yourself iago, but yet nearly every post on this thread had a swear and abusive language in it

niallo27 wrote: »
    I was just wondering why I recieved a warning for using bad language from yourself iago, but yet nearly every post on this thread had a swear and abusive language in it

You see, this is exactly my point.

I'd have dealt with this in private but you've decided you want to make it public.

You received 2 yellow cards from me relating to "bad language" on both occasions it was for calling someone a c""t, now if you can't see the difference between that and somebody saying fúck off as an example in a review thread then I'm not sure I can help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You see, this is exactly my point.

I'd have dealt with this in private but you've decided you want to make it public.

You received 2 yellow cards from me relating to "bad language" on both occasions it was for calling someone a c""t, now if you can't see the difference between that and somebody saying fúck off as an example in a review thread then I'm not sure I can help you.

Fair enough if it was a fellow poster but whats wrong with calling an ex player a c''t, it's hyper senstitive in here, you can't even see the word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

niallo27 wrote: »
    Fair enough if it was a fellow poster but whats wrong with calling an ex player a c''t, it's hyper senstitive in here, you can't even see the word

It's in the charter if you cared to read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You see, that Can Liverpool still be called a Big 4 team thread is a clear example of the kind of trolling that should be stamped out. I've seen more than one poster make one line outlandish statements without trying to even make an effort to back up his claims.

There's no point in saying just ignore them because someone is inevitably going to take the bait, which has already happened in that thread.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    You see, that Can Liverpool still be called a Big 4 team thread is a clear example of the kind of trolling that should be stamped out. I've seen more than one poster make one line outlandish statements without trying to even make an effort to back up his claims.

There's no point in saying just ignore them because someone is inevitably going to take the bait, which has already happened in that thread.

Why so sensitive?

Would you have a problem with a Liverpool fan posting a one liner saying that they are going to win the league?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I actually agree with this. I haven't gone into that thread as my instincitive reaction was it is going to be a mess/troll fest. If it had been started by a reg liverpool poster maybe i would have.

I'd agrue that it could have been locked and the poster asked to bring it up in the superthread but i can also see how this would cause problems.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why so sensitive?

Would you have a problem with a Liverpool fan posting a one liner saying that they are going to win the league?

Yes I would find it pretty stupid actually. I guess I'm just wired to always ask why?

I'm not being sensitive, I am not personally hurt so that sensitive accusation that is thrown around is a load of BS. What I want is to come into a thread where god forbid, I would be greeted with a bit of intelligent discussion.

• Advertisement

Yes I would find it pretty stupid actually. I guess I'm just wired to always ask why?

I'm not being sensitive, I am not personally hurt so that sensitive accusation that is thrown around is a load of BS. What I want is to come into a thread where god forbid, I would be greeted with a bit of intelligent discussion.

It's not bs though. You're complaining over a one line post.

It is very easy to ignore it given its size. Skip it and move on to the four paragraph efforts that are more to your liking.

Not everything has to be backed with an explanation just because you like it that way.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I actually agree with this. I haven't gone into that thread as my instincitive reaction was it is going to be a mess/troll fest. If it had been started by a reg liverpool poster maybe i would have.

I'd agrue that it could have been locked and the poster asked to bring it up in the superthread but i can also see how this would cause problems.

but if you haven't gone into it then how do you know it's trolling?

I've just read it there and out of 120 posts or so there were 1-2 that I rolled my eyes at and skipped over. Generally the posts are fine, granted there are opinions that I neither agree with or consider to be particularly well informed, but then that's no different to many threads right across the site.

It's not bs though. You're complaining over a one line post.

It is very easy to ignore it given its size. Skip it and move on to the four paragraph efforts that are more to your liking.

Not everything has to be backed with an explanation just because you like it that way.

As I said, I don't entertain these posts, I never respond to them. But it's inevitable that someone will. They might be good intentioned, with the view of trying to make the troll look like the idiot that he is, but what often happens is that the original CRAP statement of the troll becomes the central topic of the thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't every poster to look past the troll, so you might as well get rid of the troll.

As for your final point, we are all adults after all, if you're going to say something you might as well give a decent reason.

As I said, I don't entertain these posts, I never respond to them. But it's inevitable that someone will. They might be good intentioned, with the view of trying to make the troll look like the idiot that he is, but what often happens is that the original CRAP statement of the troll becomes the central topic of the thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't every poster to look past the troll, so you might as well get rid of the troll.

Are they a troll though? Or are they just wrong/misinformed?

The point is it is often impossible to distinguish between the two especially in a forum where being black and white is paramount.

As I said in a previous post, if posters fully trusted the judgement of mods then happy days. But they don't, otherwise this thread would be half the size it is.
    As for your final point, we are all adults after all, if you're going to say something you might as well give a decent reason.

Well it is summer holidays ;)

Are they a troll though? Or are they just wrong/misinformed?

Wrong or misinformed doesn't come into it really when we're talking about such low level stuff. If they gave a reason for what they believed but were in fact misguided in their thinking, then they would be wrong/misinformed. I don't see how being wrong/misinformed comes into it with such posts as

"Liverpool just have to focus on not getting relegated next season, and then try get a mid table finish the season after.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again, Liverpool are the new Leeds/Newcastle."

I mean these kind of statements, they are nothing. Neither right or wrong, but rather simply designed to piss people off.
    The point is it is often impossible to distinguish between the two especially in a forum where being black and white is paramount.

As I said in a previous post, if posters fully trusted the judgement of mods then happy days. But they don't, otherwise this thread would be half the size it is.

Well I think you underestimate the amount of faith people have in the mods of this forum. It comes down to the old cliche of "You only get feedback when you're accused of doing something wrong, but never when you get it right." I do believe that the mods of this forum nearly always get it right, and I would totally trust their judgement to implement what I want to see done.
    Well it is summer holidays ;)

True enough I suppose. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wrong or misinformed doesn't come into it really when we're talking about such low level stuff. If they gave a reason for what they believed but were in fact misguided in their thinking, then they would be wrong/misinformed. I don't see how being wrong/misinformed comes into it with such posts as

"Liverpool just have to focus on not getting relegated next season, and then try get a mid table finish the season after.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again, Liverpool are the new Leeds/Newcastle."

I mean these kind of statements, they are nothing. Neither right or wrong, but rather simply designed to piss people off.

To get riled up by them, no offence, but you'd have to have sheet thin skin.

I reckon aswell alot of them aren't looking for a reaction. Lads in my local come out with such stuff all the time while stroking their chins and thinking it's really insightful stuff.

Some people genuinely believe this kind of stuff though - in fact a lot of people do. You have to realise that some people are just stupid and stupid people (ridiculopus and all as their iopinons are), are entitled to their stuipid opinions. Taking the line that everyone that airs a stupid opinion is just on a wind up is just as counter productive as actually being on a wind-up, especially when you voice that opinion on-thread.

If someone's argument is reallty that wafer thin then it'll be pretty easy to provide a well articulated, well informed counter argument that shows their stipidity up for what it is. In fact thats what I regularly see the posters that I respect the most doing on a regular basis: the likes of Slick Ric, redout etc etc - they give well balanced arguments that ultimately make the ridiculopus sh*t look exactly that - ridiculous, but they do it in a fairly polite non abusive way.

Ush1 wrote: »

I reckon aswell alot of them aren't looking for a reaction. Lads in my local come out with such stuff all the time while stroking their chins and thinking it's really insightful stuff.

exactly I have heard a lot of people comparing Liverpool with both of them

Look at this way most people would have been accused of trolling last summer if they suggested Liverpool would finish 7th and that Rafa would be gone.

Just because you think a post is nonsense doesn't mean its trolling. People are allowed disagree with the norm.

Ush1 wrote: »

I don't think I'm thin skinned to be honest, I've already said in this thread that I'd be one of the few Liverpool supporters who called a spade a spade last season. I am not a Liverpool fanboy and will criticise the manager and team when I feel it's warranted. I do not and did not have blind faith in this team, and the ones that did, well to me they would be the ones who are thin skinned.

As for me, as I said, I just like to see intelligent discussion from people who know what they're talking about. Your mates that you mentioned, who think they are coming out with such insightful statements, would be the exact opposite of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't think I'm thin skinned to be honest, I've already said in this thread that I'd be one of the few Liverpool supporters who called a spade a spade last season. I am not a Liverpool fanboy and will criticise the manager and team when I feel it's warranted. I do not and did not have blind faith in this team, and the ones that did, well to me they would be the ones who are thin skinned.

As for me, as I said, I just like to see intelligent discussion from people who know what they're talking about. Your mates that you mentioned, who think they are coming out with such insightful statements, would be the exact opposite of that.

Yes but it's a public forum, what are we gonna do, vet people based on their IQ?

The idea is everyone can have their opinion, you don't have to absorb or entertain it all.

Those lads wouldn't be my mates either.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Trolling is posting looking for a bad reaction.

The big problem is that soccer fans react badly when their team is the one being posted about negatively. Add in the fact that there's lots of teams, lots of different supporters, and very passionate people, and everyone takes offence to everything. "Are Liverpool in the big 4" is a decent conversation, are they going to fall more, will they turn into Leeds, will they turn it around, how do you measure the "big 4" etc. If you take offence to that, you really need to stay away from internet forums completely.

astrofool wrote: »
    Trolling is posting looking for a bad reaction.

The big problem is that soccer fans react badly when their team is the one being posted about negatively. Add in the fact that there's lots of teams, lots of different supporters, and very passionate people, and everyone takes offence to everything. "Are Liverpool in the big 4" is a decent conversation, are they going to fall more, will they turn into Leeds, will they turn it around, how do you measure the "big 4" etc. If you take offence to that, you really need to stay away from internet forums completely.

You've missed the point. I don't mind people suggesting that we could be the new Leeds or whether we can turn it around. As you said it's a decent conversation to have, as long as the one putting forward such a statement gives an actual argument to back up their claim. Otherwise it's not really a conversation is it? It's just a silly de facto statement designed to annoy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

but if you haven't gone into it then how do you know it's trolling?

I've just read it there and out of 120 posts or so there were 1-2 that I rolled my eyes at and skipped over. Generally the posts are fine, granted there are opinions that I neither agree with or consider to be particularly well informed, but then that's no different to many threads right across the site.

I've no interest in going into that thread. I'd have nothing to say on the matter. In my head i questioned why it deserved it's own thread. As much as i would question a thread called "Are liverpool going to win the league". It's been covered a million times before, no need for it again. (this is just my thinking)

To me this type of thread is put up to get a rise, if i'm wrong so be it but i just don't see the point of it.

You've missed the point. I don't mind people suggesting that we could be the new Leeds or whether we can turn it around. As you said it's a decent conversation to have, as long as the one putting forward such a statement gives an actual argument to back up their claim. Otherwise it's not really a conversation is it? It's just a silly de facto statement designed to annoy.

Don't agree based on this example, its plainly obvious why anyone would think they could be the new Leeds or Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm getting the impression that some users here have the impression that other's are beneath them intellectually, prawn sandwich members if you like.

Perhaps we should have a seperate sub forum for our more intellectual members who feel the need to post a paragraph for what could just as easily be said in a sentence and let the rest of us who can handle the up's and down's of being a footy supporter get on with it. The forum is really running fine, it may need a tweek here or there but nothing major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm getting the impression that some users here have the impression that other's are beneath them intellectually, prawn sandwich members if you like.

Absoloutley,

The funny thing is, a number of them I remember when they first started posting on the forum who had lost interest in football over the years and had very little grasp on the current state of play or never had.

Have become cheer leaders for the anti troll brigrade.

It's fascinating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Perhaps we should have a seperate sub forum for our more intellectual members who feel the need to post a paragraph for what could just as easily be said in a sentence and let the rest of us who can handle the up's and down's of being a footy supporter get on with it. The forum is really running fine, it may need a tweek here or there but nothing major.

I think some people have a problem with some one jumping into a discussion saying "X Manager is rubbish" and not elaborating on it, I can see where they are coming from tbh but that doesn't warrant any censure at all. Best for them to ignore that persons posts in future if that is the sum of their contribution to the forum.

I think the main issue with trolling is context or timing. If someone posts a comment that they know will cause issues then they should really face consequences for it but then again what is the line between banter and trolling? To some here any comment that criticises their team is trolling to others all sorts of abuse is banter, its a fine line and most of the time the mods get it right.

One thing though that has come up time and time again is people getting infractions they felt were wrong and not addressing it at the time. I cannot understand this attitude at all. If you have a problem with the mod that issued it cc all the other soccer mods (if that mod genuinely feels the decision is right they shouldn't have a problem with this). Make sure you use non-confrontational language with them and be reasonable even if you feel the mod that infracted you hasn't been with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gandalf wrote: »
    I think some people have a problem with some one jumping into a discussion saying "X Manager is rubbish" and not elaborating on it, I can see where they are coming from tbh but that doesn't warrant any censure at all. Best for them to ignore that persons posts in future if that is the sum of their contribution to the forum.........

That would cover the majority here and would work fine but there is a small minority who are unable to accept any criticism of their club merited or not.

The highlighting of the Can Liverpool be considered part of the big 4
    as a trollish thread is a prime example. It is a perfect valid topic of discussion . I don't wish to peronalise this but here is my post from that thread which I have no doubt some users see as me trolling them.
    With the money being invested elsewhere I think Liverpool are going to find it extreamly difficult to get back into the top 4.

It's a one liner , not becuase it's an attempt to roil anyone but becuase it's exactly what I and I would imagine a great many other people think, there was no need to dress it up in a paragraph. Does that statement really need to be backed up ?

With the money being invested elsewhere I think Liverpool are going to find it extreamly difficult to get back into the top 4.

You see that right there Muppet? That's your reason right there, I said nowt about writing an essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That would cover the majority here and would work fine but there is a small minority who are unable to accept any criticism of their club merited or not.

You see those guys in the minority haven't figured out what being a football fan means. It means prolonged periods of being miserable and frustrated interrupted occasionally by moments of pure and utter joy ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement