Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A difficult question regarding exchange

Options
  • 13-07-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Yesterday I bought a dress which was half-price in a shop called Bodyline. As the dresses are quite expensive and complicated, they do not permit you to try them on in the shop, but measure you and reccomend a size. I was measured and the girl in the shop said M should fit me. When I tried it on at home it fit, but only just, and it is very tight and uncomfterable. I brought it back today and asked if I could exchange it, but was told that exchange is not possible once it is bought. Am I legally entitled to an exchange, as they told me it would fit and it does not. Oh, the difficult part? This is in Japan, and I`m not sure if consumer rights are the same all over the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You would have no problem if it were Ireland. I don't know about Japanese consumer rights, but I would be surprised if you were not similarly protected: you were promised a dress that would fit, and given one that didn't.

Asserting your rights might be difficult. Do you speak Japanese? Will you be there long enough to fight a couple of rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just don't know about consumer law in Japan.

In Ireland, it would be straightforward as the shop sold you an item that was not fit for purpose (i.e. doesn't fit). The shop took it upon themselves to decide the dress size, therefore they have a responsibility to get it right.

Do you know anyone in Japan, or any ex-pat websites where you can seek more advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭morningpeasant

You would have no problem if it were Ireland. I don't know about Japanese consumer rights, but I would be surprised if you were not similarly protected: you were promised a dress that would fit, and given one that didn't.

Asserting your rights might be difficult. Do you speak Japanese? Will you be there long enough to fight a couple of rounds?

I speak some Japanese, but the girl in the shop wouldn`t listen and just kept saying `sorry, you agreed to buy it and that is our policy` and kept pointing at a little sign at the cash-register that said `no exchange possible`

I`m currently on a home-stay in Japan for another month, but to be honset, I don`t know if it is worth my while trying to fight it. It was about fifty euro, and I`d probably end up spending that much in order to get it sorted. I`m staying with a host-family, so I do have people to help me. The thing is, I don`t know if it technically counts as not fitting, as I can get it on, I just can raise my arms up fully etc. I`m more curious than anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No trying on and no refund? Would you have accepted those conditions in Ireland? Put it down to experience and bring the dress home as a gift for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

looksee wrote: »
    ... Put it down to experience and bring the dress home as a gift for someone.

Another month of Japanese food, and it might fit better!

• Advertisement
Advertisement