Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-wiring time/costs ?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys,

My house needs to be completely re-wired. How long do you think it would take ? The house is a 3 bedroom semi-detached. All circuits will need to be replaced.

I've priced it at about 5,000 euro.

Presumably, the circuits required are:

Radial circuit/ring main for down stairs
    Radial/ring main for up stairs.
    Dedicated circuit for power shower.
    Dedicated circuit for cooker.
    Lighting circuit downstairs.
    Lighting circuit upstairs.

Physically does the electrian lay the power circuit in the floor slab for Ground floor, and ceiling void for upstairs ? Or is every aspect of wiring contained in the ceiling void ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

You also need
    immersion circuit
    2 radial socket circuits kitchen
    freezer circuit own rcd
    radial circuit dishwasher/ wash machine
    seperate light circuit bathroom on rcd
    Seperate circuit for fire alarm(3 smokes/hall/landing/main living area and heat detector in kitchen)this is minimum requirement.
    should take 4/5 days
    wires underfloor and in attic
    you may need plasterer to make good all chases

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LazyPianist

Thanks very much.

"freezer circuit" - a refrigerator has to have it's own dedicated circuit ?

Specifically freezer. To prevent loss of frozen items if house rcd trips. It can have it's own rcd or on a fused spur outlet with no rcd protection.
    Your welcome. Thanks

meercat wrote: »
    Specifically freezer. To prevent loss of frozen items if house rcd trips. It can have it's own rcd or on a fused spur outlet with no rcd protection.
    Your welcome. Thanks

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

You also need 3 smokes (hall,landing,main living area and a heat detector in the kitchen on their own circuit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you,ll need a new fusebox/consumer unit, a earth rod is buried and connected to fusebox, usually outside front door,or where its easy to bury one .rod is about 5ft long.1inch wide approx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    You also need 3 smokes (hall,landing,main living area and a heat detector in the kitchen on their own circuit

How do they actually work?

I know they have a 9v flat battery in them,but do all the smoke alarms go off together at once,even say if only 1 detects heat or smoke??

And would they still work if 1 or 2 of the batteries were dead?

Each detector needs permanent feed. The battery is only a back up. Each detector needs an interlink wire so if one operates they all sound. Generally I feed the first with 1.5 t&e and loop 4 x1.5 nymj to the rest. You could use 1.5 t&e and 1.5 PVC/PVC also.

i dont wanna be rude, my friend uses 3 smoke detectors,work off standard 9v batterys, they are not connected in any way, can be bought in any hardware store.cost 12euro each approx.
    they have a test button, press to check the battery once a month.
    1 in kitchen,hallway, 1 upstairs. if house is big get 5 or 6 .
    i,m not an expert in fire safety, get fire blanket,and 2 extinguishers, 1 4 kitchen.
    one upstairs for landing.in a wall holder,bracket.
    if you wanna build a whole fire detector network,thats up to you,

Hi ricman
    on new build or rewire it is a regulation that heat and smoke detectors be powered by mains with battery back up and all interlinked.
    Of course a battery operated alarm is better than none though. Cheers

• Advertisement

So if i get a rewire,how many smoke detectors do i need , does it cost alot more,FOR THE smoke detectors.Thanks 4 the info.

Ricman
    minimum 4 is the regulation
    landing.hall.main living area smoke detectors
    kitchen heat detector
    you could need more, depending on house layout.
    The cost is minimal on the overal job

Anyone know how much a standard house alarm would cost to supply and fit ?

Advertisement