Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Economics

Options
  • 13-07-2010 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

Anyone here been offered a place yet? I have accepted my offer. Looking forward to getting started. Has anyone completed the MA in Economics? If so, how did you find it? What are you working at now? Feel free to share any thoughts about the MA in Economics.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bosco101

I work in an investment bank as an intern and everyone here (all the interns) have an MA in Economics. You really need a Phd if you want to progress in the Economic arena though. (All the analysts have one.) Esp if your degree isn't from a top Uk uni, its harsh but true! Depends if you want to work in Econ though I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

bosco101 wrote: »
    I work in an investment bank as an intern and everyone here (all the interns) have an MA in Economics. You really need a Phd if you want to progress in the Economic arena though. (All the analysts have one.)

"Analyst" as in Intern-->Analyst(-->MBA)-->Associate-->VP-->Director-->MD or "Analyst" as in Research Analyst?

Neither of them really fit the bill, analyst covers much more than that and an economic analyst will mainly looks at countries economic indiacators, as oppsoed to companies etc... They get paid really well but you work your bollox off and have to do a year/2 year internship and a Phd after if you're finished if your'e realistic. I'd imagine that'd be what your'e after if your'e an economist in the private sector. In most places an 'analyst' isn't an entry level position and those definitions are way to general and wrong in many cases.

Analyst is a typical entry level title (Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Barclays) but I do understand that it's not what you were refering to when talking about PhDs.

What degree did you do/are you doing yourself? Did you go from the UCD MA to ibanking? What division are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

graw wrote: »
    Anyone here been offered a place yet? I have accepted my offer. Looking forward to getting started. Has anyone completed the MA in Economics? If so, how did you find it? What are you working at now? Feel free to share any thoughts about the MA in Economics.
    Cheers.

Did UCD's in 07/08.

Very much enjoyed it - quite challenging.

Was unhappy with the Stata training but overall I thouroughly enjoyed it.

I now work for a foreign Government.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I now work for a foreign Government.

International man of mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Slippers 2 wrote: »

I couldn't help it...;)

Analyst is a typical entry level title (Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Barclays) but I do understand that it's not what you were refering to when talking about PhDs.

What degree did you do/are you doing yourself? Did you go from the UCD MA to ibanking? What division are you in?

Did a BA in economics in UCD a few years ago, took a year out then went to Warwick and did fiance and economics. Working in a German bank now but haven't a hope of getting a contract extension without doing a phd. The guy who I'm taking over from basically runs the whole office, getting the daily and weekly out, really bright and is probobly a better analyst than most the people working here but hasn't a hope of getting it without either a phd. Would have probobly got it 3 years ago but too much competetion now.

El Siglo wrote: »

Tell no one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Did a BA in economics in UCD a few years ago, took a year out then went to Warwick and did fiance and economics. Working in a German bank now but haven't a hope of getting a contract extension without doing a phd. The guy who I'm taking over from basically runs the whole office, getting the daily and weekly out, really bright and is probobly a better analyst than most the people working here but hasn't a hope of getting it without either a phd. Would have probobly got it 3 years ago but too much competetion now.

I thought that you could start in a bank in an entry-level role (like intern for example) and work your way upwards over a number of years to Analyst or Associate. Are you saying that in order to progress in the current environment, you are expected to undertake a PhD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I thought that you could start in a bank in an entry-level role (like intern for example) and work your way upwards over a number of years to Analyst or Associate. Are you saying that in order to progress in the current environment, you are expected to undertake a PhD?

I doubt it.
    I'd imagine it depends on what you want to progress in/to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Hey does anyone know if you can go from a BSc in Th. Physics to MA in Economics. I know that it might seem totally retarded as the areas aren't related really at all but I read somewhere that people who didn't do economics specifically for their degree can go on and do the MA in Economics. Is this true?

Hey does anyone know if you can go from a BSc in Th. Physics to MA in Economics. I know that it might seem totally retarded as the areas aren't related really at all but I read somewhere that people who didn't do economics specifically for their degree can go on and do the MA in Economics. Is this true?

When I did the UCD one I am certain you needed the BA or equivalent first.

Failing that, they do an MA qualfiier in the summer (but I think that is just for people who didn't manage the required 2:1 in the undergrad rather than for people with no economic knowledge).

Personally, looking at your background, I doubt you'd have too many problems.

Maybe some of the macro fundamentals would be alien to you but the mathematics really wouldn't be anything as hard as Physics (not to say it couldn't be challenging at times).

The website says:

"To qualify for a place on the MA in Economics a student should normally hold a primary degree with at least Second Class Honours Grade 1 (2H1) in Economics or in another degree that has strong theoretical and quantitative content such as Maths, Physics, Engineering or Computer Science."

I applied this year with the first three years of the BSc in Statistics (pass) and the Higher Diploma in Statistics (2.1) from UCD and got rejected but your maths are probably a hell of a lot better than mine (I ended up doing ordinary in the leaving) so I'd say your chances are good.
    noodler wrote: »
    When I did the UCD one I am certain you needed the BA or equivalent first.

Failing that, they do an MA qualfiier in the summer (but I think that is just for people who didn't manage the required 2:1 in the undergrad rather than for people with no economic knowledge).

I'm starting the MA Qualifier in September. It's a one year course made up of five 3rd Year modules and one 2nd Year/3rd Year module, basically half of the HDipEconSc. I've never taken an economics class before, so it's not restricted to econ students.

The website says:

"To qualify for a place on the MA in Economics a student should normally hold a primary degree with at least Second Class Honours Grade 1 (2H1) in Economics or in another degree that has strong theoretical and quantitative content such as Maths, Physics, Engineering or Computer Science."

I applied this year with the first three years of the BSc in Statistics (pass) and the Higher Diploma in Statistics (2.1) from UCD and got rejected but your maths are probably a hell of a lot better than mine (I ended up doing ordinary in the leaving) so I'd say your chances are good.

I'm starting the MA Qualifier in September. It's a one year course made up of five 3rd Year modules and one 2nd Year/3rd Year module, basically half of the HDipEconSc. I've never taken an economics class before, so it's not restricted to econ students.

Thanks for that.

As I said, it should not (imo) be beyond the means of anybody with a semi-decent quantative grasp an ability to work.

This isn't the correct step in my opinion. You are far better off going into a Financial Maths course from a BSc in Th. Physics.

You would be far better suited, and would be find as many, if not more doors open to you in IB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You can get in with a degree like that. Admission depends on your grades etc., aka whether the admissions committee think you'll do well. The maths should be a doddle to you, though you may struggle with the application. I like the phrase "maths is to economics as sprinting is to football." It gives you the right idea: it's not very difficult mathematics, but it can be difficult to use it well.
    This isn't the correct step in my opinion. You are far better off going into a Financial Maths course from a BSc in Th. Physics.

You would be far better suited, and would be find as many, if not more doors open to you in IB.
    Only if you like finance of course, which an awful lot of people don't.

You can get in with a degree like that. Admission depends on your grades etc., aka whether the admissions committee think you'll do well. The maths should be a doddle to you, though you may struggle with the application. I like the phrase "maths is to economics as sprinting is to football." It gives you the right idea: it's not very difficult mathematics, but it can be difficult to use it well.

Only if you like finance of course, which an awful lot of people don't.

I've taken economics electives before and I haven't found them that difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I've taken economics electives before and I haven't found them that difficult.
    Undergraduate economics modules aren't a good indicator of mathematics used in graduate courses. If you're around your university, look up this book in the library for an idea of what you'll see in a first-year graduate microeconomics class. For macroeconomics, try this and this. For (quant) finance, Steven Shreve's book is a good introduction.

Undergraduate economics modules aren't a good indicator of mathematics used in graduate courses. If you're around your university, look up this book in the library for an idea of what you'll see in a first-year graduate microeconomics class. For macroeconomics, try this and this. For (quant) finance, Steven Shreve's book is a good introduction.

Thanks, I'll make sure to look at those books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

I work in an investment bank as an intern and everyone here (all the interns) have an MA in Economics. You really need a Phd if you want to progress in the Economic arena though. (All the analysts have one.) Esp if your degree isn't from a top Uk uni, its harsh but true! Depends if you want to work in Econ though I suppose

Depends what area of an investment bank you want to work in- currently doing an internship in a big IB as well and a lot of people in my dept (risk) only have undergrads with a few having post grads. None of them have PHD's.

Although if you work in a specific area related to economics (Economic research etc) you will probably need at least a masters.

Also a lot of people working in the actual investment banking dept have random degrees from maths- philosophy - engineering- chemistry so economics isn't the be all and end all of getting a job in an IB

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marge2007

Hi Everyone

I know this is off topic, but I'm just trying to help a friend. How is everyone settling in? Are you finding it easy to meet other MA and Dip students of Economics?

My friend started this course last week, he is finding it hard to meet up with students that are postgrads as opposed to undergrads that share his modules.

I know it is early on and many are probably in the same situation but I wondered how everyone else is finding it?

Marge

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ledmanroy

Does The MA in Economics provide a ggod steeping stone to enter a a good Phd Programme In Europe. Planning on doing the GRE's during the year and just want to ensure the course in held in the right esteem across europe to allow entry into a phd in amsterdam, paris or barcelona.

Any MA graduate taken this route at all? is it possible

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Here is a guide to applying to the world's top economics PhDs when you're coming from Ireland. It mentions the UCD MA.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~mkolesar/advice.pdf

Patrick Honohan did the UCD MA then a masters and a PhD in LSE but it was a long time ago.

Edit: Ha, I just noticed I already gave you the same link in the Economics forum, not much help then. I'll leave it in case others haven't seen it.

This is a forum for econ PhD applicants: http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics
    Might have something useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ledmanroy

decided to go for the UCD course. Got my offer today, but bit worried ive forgotten a lot of what I learned on my undergrad. serious summer revision called for.

any advice on any on what material would be best to cover.

ledmanroy wrote: »
    decided to go for the UCD course. Got my offer today, but bit worried ive forgotten a lot of what I learned on my undergrad. serious summer revision called for.

any advice on any on what material would be best to cover.

I did an MA in a different discipline after my BA so I had a full year without doing any economics.

Tbh, the only thing that threw me was econometrics as I hadn't done it as an undergraduate. The Micro was difficult for me to follow but I think it may have been a class-wide issue and I'm not sure how to recommend a brushing up in this area - Macro I found to be a piece of piss (then again though - Macro is the one you are most exposed to in everyday life).

So tbh Econometrics:

1) Try and get a copy of Stata if you can

2) If you never did the subject as an undergrad then find out what it is all about generally (I'd say I studies it for nearly a month before realising what the point was in a applied sense)

3) Review how to read output tables (ucla have some excellent tutorials in this regard on how to interpret stata output - just google)

I can't emphasise the Stata enough - in my hunts for employment afterwards the most employable aspect of the course seemed to be your skills with a statistical softare package and mine was badly lacking (try to make a special effort here because I kind of found I was starting from scratch when the research part came along).

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

We're going to have three exams at Christmas. Here are the same three from this year: Macro Micro Metrics

There will be a Quantitative Techniques exam after the first three weeks but I can't find a past paper for that. Infomation on this year's modules, including Quantitative Techniques, here.

The fifth module in Semester 1 is Research Skills. Here is some information on that: http://karlwhelan.com/Teaching/ma1011info.htm

Advertisement