Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite older Springsteen song

Options
  • 13-07-2010 6:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I just saw a thread where someone was asking if anyone knew what song started with the line: "Take me now baby here as I am"

It didn't take long for someone to respond it was Springsteen's song. It got me into a Springsteen frame of mind and I thought it would be appropriate for this Jersey boy to start his first ever thread by asking what is everyone's favorite "older" Springsteen song. I always liked this version of "For You" live at Hammersmith Odeon in 1975:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I love The River... There's a live version that's nearly 12 minutes long :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

The River for me too +1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Jungleland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Track from 1973, show from 1978

Spirits in the night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that gig seems to have been insanely good - check out the version of not fade away from the same night, or thunder road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Legendary gig. I have DVDs of the whole show, but the quality of the video is what you see in the clip, though the audio is great. It was pro-shot, so I imagine there is a high quality version somewhere. I am hoping it will surface with the Darkness re-issue in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle is my favourite Springsteen album. I also like a lot of the early unreleased stuff that ended up on the Tracks box set, like Thundercrack, Santa Ana and Seaside Bar Song.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Fade To Black was a good one, and If I Was The Priest, or Back In Your Arms, or Brothers Under The Bridge,

way too many to just pick one,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIwcMp6s3g If I Was The Priest, very rare but brilliant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like 4th of July (Sandy) from The Wild, Innocent and The E Street Shuffle but I also love Working on the Highway and Darlington County from Born In The USA.

He does an excellent version of Chimes of Freedom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

anything from born to run. I love thunder road

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

So many great songs, but for me, it has to be Backstreets.

Check out the live version from the famous Winterland bootleg if you can - amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I have a good few favourites but this week i'm liking these two a lot. I used to lay on our sitting room floor playing a hand-held racing car game while i listened to my brothers Springsteen albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Smort Kid

SPIRIT OF THE NIGHT!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

Atlantic city(live version New York). Hungry Heart. But to really shake the foundations Detroit Medley from live at hammersmith 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Thanks everyone for some great choices! - definitely some new finds on the list for me. As the Spirit is still moving me, I thought I'd add one more from the show Nipplenuts and Magicbastarder were talking about - Capitol Theater Passaic New Jersey 1978.

Summer's here and the time is right
    For racing in the Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Blinded By The Light or Born To Run for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Can't get much older than this. Vintage stuff from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

never really a fan of Bruce but i always liked the bassline in this

Advertisement