Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Misfortunate" in wheelchair begging on Eyre Sq.

Options
  • 13-07-2010 8:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was waiting at Ayre Sq for the No 3 bus the other night and I saw this woman across the road in a wheelchair struggling, and I mean struggling to make it up the incline on her own. I was just about to cross over to the other side of the road to give her a hand and I got distracted with call.

When I turned around she was right back at the bottom of the incline again, this time looking closely she was hassling passers and taxi drivers for change as she struggled again up the hill, the process was repeated several times until the bus arrived.

In Dublin a few years back a Roma was caught out by the media walking away normally after spending the whole day incapacitated on crutches begging from paper cups off the longmile road.

Has anyone ever studied the legitimacy of this individual, is it genuine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Was she of Romanian origin? If so she's the same one who is out in the Headford Road direction whose always floating about the N17 superstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I saw that women last year, doing that same thing (this is on the path across the road from number 3, as in outside o'Connells pub). So many people ended up pushing her up the hill, and then having her give her some change because they felt sorry for her. Then she'd free wheel all the way down again :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Was she of Romanian origin? If so she's the same one who is out in the Headford Road direction whose always floating about the N17 superstore.
    Romanian and Roma are two seperate peoples, don't confuse them. Even SNCF have this problem.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1253130/Railway-race-row-SNCF-displays-posters-warning-passengers-report-sightings-Romanians-thefts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This thread will not become a 'Characters of Galway' thread.

/moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Anyone else see that galway character.... *sees PBs moderation*
    Uh oh..

So shouldn't this type of begging be illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Begging was illegal.
    The Vagrancy (Ireland) Act 1847 was introduced during the Great Famine. Section 3 of the Act made begging in a public place an offence and provided for a sentence of up to three months on conviction on that charge.

BUT, then a Dublin man in 2007 won a High Court claim that a law outlawing begging in a public place is unconstitutional because it excessively interferes with his right of freedom of expression. This opened up the floodgates.

New laws are on their way, or may have been introduced already, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Begging is one things, but what this person is doing is on the lines of scamming, making people belive she is struggling wither her disadvantage, and takeing the advantages of people being nice to increase her loose change.

Saying that, It is also hard to know who are the people trying to take advantage of you. Makes me now rethink any good deed I would usualy do, asking myself well have they been doing this all day to try get some sympity money?

Disgrace really. Always had some sort of begging in galway, and thats fine enough to a certain degree but this adds a whole new level onto it, which is a sad day to Galway

biko wrote: »
    Begging was illegal.
    The Vagrancy (Ireland) Act 1847 was introduced during the Great Famine. Section 3 of the Act made begging in a public place an offense and provided for a sentence of up to three months on conviction on that charge.

BUT, then a Dublin man in 2007 won a High Court claim that a law outlawing begging in a public place is unconstitutional because it excessively interferes with his right of freedom of expression. This opened up the floodgates.

New laws are on their way, or may have been introduced already, not sure.
    Yes they are on the way, more should i say nuisance laws, ie begging within 50ft of ATM's 50ft, doorwells of places of work, retail outlets etc which would should cover most urban thoroughfares and taxi ranks.

There should be no excuse for begging in this country, those that are genuinely poor and in need should be eligible for state benefits, those that are begging and in "need" that are not eligible for state benefits should be sent home on the first boat.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0130/1224263434247.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I wish they'd outlaw chuggers while they were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

She's definitely a fraud. I saw her walking with the wheelchair on Sandy road about a year ago.

I always shoot her a dirty look whenever I see her. I'm such a badass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

She is no more wheelchair bound than I am

Not sure about this particular individual but I was in Sri Lanka years back and was sitting outside a bar.
    Over the shoulder of a mate I see a guy walking across the road a couple of hundred meters away, carrying some crutches under his arm.
    Sure enough, a few minutes later he drags himself up to our table on the very same crutches.
    I just laughed.

jamc wrote: »
    She's definitely a fraud. I saw her walking with the wheelchair on Sandy road about a year ago.

I always shoot her a dirty look whenever I see her. I'm such a badass
    Next time have your vid camera ready.

People really need to be vigilante with things like this. If you even catch a glimpse of her getting out of the wheelchair, take a photo or videotape it.

Only thing is where would you go once you've gotten evidence?

Oh - and anyone see Knack- oh wait - those keys were jingling. He means business.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Does she look indian rather than romanian?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

EI111 wrote: »
    Does she look indian rather than romanian?

That's the lady I saw, I would describe her more as Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

That's the lady I saw, I would describe her more as Indian.

Has anyone seen her actually begging?

Roma are a tribe originally from India.
    Romanians are from Romania.
    Romania has the largest portion of Roma living within their borders.
    But they're not the same.

Yes, I saw her hassling passengers and drivers at the taxi rank on Eyre Sq as mentioned in the OP. Most drivers brushed her off as they would have be familiar with her at this stage however tourist passengers may not.

Roma can also have salo complexion, ie dark skin and jet black hair. A video cam would be the business to catch her on the act and then hand the footage over to the authorities.

She looks Roma (the Roma are of Indian origin) - I have seen her around the N17 store / Dunnes Terryland.

I remember a campaign by the mayor of London not to give money to beggars - to give it to charity instead.

If I ever see her walking I will take a picture and send to the Advertiser.

• Advertisement

She looks Roma (the Roma are of Indian origin) - I have seen her around the N17 store / Dunnes Terryland.

I remember a campaign by the mayor of London not to give money to beggars - to give it to charity instead.

If I ever see her walking I will take a picture and send to the Advertiser.
    The Sunday World would be a better bet as the story would get nationwide. They thrive on this stuff like the double jointed beggar that use to drag his feer along the Nulans x / Walkingstown junction. A camera crew followed him around the corner and caught him red handed walking away with his crutches under his arm, same guy was seen with a flash mobile phone making calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

Yes they are on the way, more should i say nuisance laws, ie begging within 50ft of ATM's 50ft, doorwells of places of work, retail outlets etc which would should cover most urban thoroughfares and taxi ranks.

There should be no excuse for begging in this country, those that are genuinely poor and in need should be eligible for state benefits, those that are begging and in "need" that are not eligible for state benefits should be sent home on the first boat.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0130/1224263434247.html

to be eligible for state benefits you need to have a fixed address, and if you are homeless you don't have one, henceforth not eligible for them. For many individuals who cannot stay in homeless hostels, they have no refuge except sleeping on the streets or in squats. for many, staying in a hostel with numerous other individuals all suffering from one issue or another is not viable, so begging is the only option. the arguments will always go forth that they are just going to spend it on drink etc. but in fairness, if you were sleeping outdoors in the likes of the winter we just had, I think you would spend most of your money on drink too.

I see this woman begging everyday at n17 shop, terryland etc. She seems to have her working hours of begging and then in the evening she just stalls around the place. She's always outside that indian take away near the bike shop. not sure what the story with her is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Crap, I gave her a push up the road from Monsoon to the top of Eyre Square. Didn't ask me for money or anything, nor was anything implied. Thought she was just wheelchair-bound and tired. Was raining too, so felt really bad. Definitely her too, I would describe her more as Indian.

Will know better for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Crap, I gave her a push up the road from Monsoon to the top of Eyre Square. Didn't ask me for money or anything, nor was anything implied. Thought she was just wheelchair-bound and tired. Was raining too, so felt really bad. Definitely her too, I would describe her more as Indian.

If she didn't ask you for cash, what harm is done? She could very well be wheelchair bound and tired, whether she is begging or not. I dunno, seems like a hard life either way...

telepylus wrote: »
    to be eligible for state benefits you need to have a fixed address, and if you are homeless you don't have one, henceforth not eligible for them. For many individuals who cannot stay in homeless hostels, they have no refuge except sleeping on the streets or in squats. for many, staying in a hostel with numerous other individuals all suffering from one issue or another is not viable, so begging is the only option. the arguments will always go forth that they are just going to spend it on drink etc. but in fairness, if you were sleeping outdoors in the likes of the winter we just had, I think you would spend most of your money on drink too.
    Still not a good reason to give money directly to someone on the street rather than a homeless charity or whatever.

Did you wait and see if she would go back down to the bottom of the hill again when you left her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I've seen her several times out at Terryland Retail Park both in the wheelchair and walking around without it so it's obviously not too essential for her. She was hassling me for money in Dunnes' carpark a week ago and I told her no a few times as i was loading things into my van. Went to reverse out and couldn't see her her anywhere so just to be sure I jumped out and she was behind my van waiting for me to clip her (and presumably sue). :mad: She learned a few new words that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

From what I can tell, there are at least two women who look similar and one is definitely a genuine wheelchair bound person (my friend works in the hospital). Sounds like there is a second woman who may be a chancer. Just thinking we should be careful who we are judging, based on who it *might* be from a boards discussion.
    It may also be that one of these women has a back injury and is in pain, but is able to walk.
    *augmenting* begging power seems a way lesser scam than someone trying to sell you a dud, short change you, or rob your house.
    Agree giving people cash can be an issue. TBH if I give someone money it is up to them what they do with it, as that's the way I would want it if *I were on the streets! A cuppa tea is often appreciated though if you feel like your money is going astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

GalKiefer wrote: »
    I've seen her several times out at Terryland Retail Park both in the wheelchair and walking around without it so it's obviously not too essential for her. She was hassling me for money in Dunnes' carpark a week ago and I told her no a few times as i was loading things into my van. Went to reverse out and couldn't see her her anywhere so just to be sure I jumped out and she was behind my van waiting for me to clip her (and presumably sue). :mad: She learned a few new words that day.

when i live in limerick city there was this guy that used to beg, he'd go around in crutches all day, then in the evenings he put the crutches away and walk home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, she asked me for money yesterday.

I just smiled at her and said no: I usually say a friendly hello to beggars before they ask me and move on quickly. The regulars get to know it, some keep on asking out of habit, some give up. (I live in the inner city).

Franky, she's less damaging to society than some bankers.

Advertisement