Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Misfortunate" in wheelchair begging on Eyre Sq.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

inisboffin wrote: »
    *augmenting* begging power seems a way lesser scam than someone trying to sell you a dud, short change you, or rob your house.
    Agree giving people cash can be an issue. TBH if I give someone money it is up to them what they do with it, as that's the way I would want it if *I were on the streets! A cuppa tea is often appreciated though if you feel like your money is going astray.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

she does canvas salthill as well at the weekends when there is more people about have even seen her in seapoint harrasing the customers for cash, but she gets fecked out every time she goes in, also her wheelchair squeeks, so she is known to some as squeeky. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

GalKiefer wrote: »
    I've seen her several times out at Terryland Retail Park both in the wheelchair and walking around without it so it's obviously not too essential for her. She was hassling me for money in Dunnes' carpark a week ago and I told her no a few times as i was loading things into my van. Went to reverse out and couldn't see her her anywhere so just to be sure I jumped out and she was behind my van waiting for me to clip her (and presumably sue). :mad: She learned a few new words that day.
    This is the very carry on that I would be ver worried about. Is there someone above her that would be making off her, who else could be involved.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I am totally against these scams, but I'd just like to make two points.
    1 If people are foolish enough to give them money it's their hard luck imo. Begging,(seperate issue I know) or any body with their hand out shouldn't be given money. If you do want to do something, buy them some food/tea/coffee, talk to them, maybe do some charity work which would benifit them ect..

2 There seems to be a few references in posts prevoius regarding people getting up out of wheelchairs and walking, and being made out to be benefit fraudsters.. I'd just like to point out that a person may have limited mobility. For example, my father, he can't walk(more of an unstable shuffle) for more than 2 mins before he has to sit again. So if he has to go any distance at all he will be in a wheelchair even though he can get up from it and 'walk' to another seat...
    I'm not giving out to any of the previous posters, just highlighting a fact... And no, my father is not a begger or fraudster:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive seen all these female Roma beggars having a conference with some fat Roma man in the alley down near the library a few times now, the one beside the church with the headshop and cafe in it, its a little business they've got going. Personally I cant stand them, Id sooner throw my money in the river especially if it turns out they're on the dole aswell. Hurry up with the new begging legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thargor wrote: »
    Ive seen all these female Roma beggars having a conference with some fat Roma man in the alley down near the library a few times now, the one beside the church with the headshop and cafe in it, its a little business they've got going. Personally I cant stand them, Id sooner throw my money in the river especially if it turns out they're on the dole aswell. Hurry up with the new begging legislation.

If you know for *sure* that these people are in some kind of scam-gang, and you know for *sure* that it is scamming the system, and taking extra benefits, then that's one thing, but otherwise I don't see how it's any different to talking a business down on boards tbh, and might be just as libellous (never mind the race card as you said it was *all* of them)...

If you feel strongly that they are scamming the dole, and you need to so something about it, why not just take a photo and report them? A business begging scam is different to an individual begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What race card? They're obviously Roma, and yes, it was all of the Roma beggars, the one with the baby near the O2 shop, the 2 fat ones from down at the Amnesty International shop and the one with the horrible teeth that begs on the bridge, they're begging, so that makes them beggars, you see? No racism there that I can see. I think you're really clutching at straws in your attempt to be all self righteous here.

And no, I dont think expressing distaste for what is clearly an organised scheme in there group (and they are a group, as Ive seen them having a group meeting on 3 occasions now) is the same as "talking down" a legitimate business at all, wherever you got that from I dont know, also the idea that this discussion is libellous when I didnt mention anyone is pretty laughable you'd have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thargor wrote: »
    What race card? They're obviously Roma, and yes, it was all of the Roma beggars, the one with the baby near the O2 shop, the 2 fat ones from down at the Amnesty International shop and the one with the horrible teeth that begs on the bridge, they're begging, so that makes them beggars, you see? No racism there that I can see. I think you're really clutching at straws in your attempt to be all self righteous here.

And no, I dont think expressing distaste for what is clearly an organised scheme in there group (and they are a group, as Ive seen them having a group meeting on 3 occasions now) is the same as "talking down" a legitimate business at all, wherever you got that from I dont know, also the idea that this discussion is libellous when I didnt mention anyone is pretty laughable you'd have to admit.

Thargor, I am not trying to be righteous! A dude in Dublin had his eye on a 'Roma' beggar for nicking sweets- turned out she was a legally here Pakistani national who was taking the p*ss! I don't know how you can possibly know they're all Roma and also make sweeping statements like it's *all* the Roma beggars in Galway??? There are a lot of them you know!

The 'characters of Galway' thread is often locked for just this reason - you are describing and accusing (whether there's truth or not) people in Galway without proof to back it up. Begging isn't illegal. But if 'they' are on the dole and meeting en-masse down alleys, then isn't that some sort of organised crime? Or else they are all from the same family and just 'meeting'. It is either legal or it isn't...that's why I suggested if you felt it was that illegal then report it to the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

GalKiefer wrote: »
    I've seen her several times out at Terryland Retail Park both in the wheelchair and walking around without it so it's obviously not too essential for her. She was hassling me for money in Dunnes' carpark a week ago and I told her no a few times as i was loading things into my van. Went to reverse out and couldn't see her her anywhere so just to be sure I jumped out and she was behind my van waiting for me to clip her (and presumably sue). :mad: She learned a few new words that day.

She has done that to me too.
    I got petrol at the pumps and went to park over at the Indian as I was wating to meet someone. She was sitting in her chair on the mini roundabout, Luckily I was going slow as I was just pulling out of petrol station but if someone pulled in from the road junction they would have had no chance to avoid her.
    I motioned to her to move, which she did and I went to park, she moved down the footpath and when I went to reverse into the space she moved again to be directly behind me.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

a123 wrote: »
    She has done that to me too.
    I got petrol at the pumps and went to park over at the Indian as I was wating to meet someone. She was sitting in her chair on the mini roundabout, Luckily I was going slow as I was just pulling out of petrol station but if someone pulled in from the road junction they would have had no chance to avoid her.
    I motioned to her to move, which she did and I went to park, she moved down the footpath and when I went to reverse into the space she moved again to be directly behind me.:mad:

What you and Galkiefer just said is actually shocking stuff. If it turns out as someone suggested she might be a legitimate business I suppose we'll just have to take your input as consumer advice.

I have seen the woman described as well, and she was asking me for money but I did not give her any. Something does not feel right about her and that wheelchair, the way she "maneuvers" it or what you would say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement