Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contraception after pregnancy

• 13-07-2010 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm looking information about contraception after pregnancy. Im due very soon and going to be breastfeeding, but also would like to "rest" a bit from getting pregnant again.
    Im thinking of oral contraception but would like to know what is safe and effective for me and baby while breastfeeding.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You should be given information about the contraceptives available to you in your discharge pack from the hospital which will list all of your options and which are safe while breastfeeding.

Your GP will then discuss contraception with you at your 6 week check. Its unlikely that you'll be up to any mischief before then. Apart from the fact that you have just given birth, you may still be bleeding and I found that breastfeeding completely surpressed my libido anyway!

You are also entitled under the combined care scheme to a 2 week check up with your GP. You can also discuss contraception at this time.

From what I remember there are a few oral contraceptives you can take whilst breastfeeding, and until you get yourself sorted, there are always barrier methods

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkmar

Hi I was wondering about this myself actually, sorry to jump in but I was wondering if anyone knows how long after having a baby can you get a coil or is there much of a waiting period as I know it takes time for all your bits to shrink back into shape. Also does anyone know of any reason why a coil should interfere with breast feeding as I also plan on breast feeding. Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't think I will be going down the road of the pill again as for me personally it messed up my hormones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

your options really are barrier methods or progesterone-only pill (normal pill is not ok for breastfeeding).

if you are thinking something long-tern, there is coil or contraceptive implant.

don't worry, I think most of your 6week check up will be about that :)

I'm breastfeeding for last 4 months and went on mini-pill for a couple months before ttc again. Didn't have any problems with milk supply while on the mini-pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Arkmar wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering about this myself actually, sorry to jump in but I was wondering if anyone knows how long after having a baby can you get a coil or is there much of a waiting period as I know it takes time for all your bits to shrink back into shape. Also does anyone know of any reason why a coil should interfere with breast feeding as I also plan on breast feeding. Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't think I will be going down the road of the pill again as for me personally it messed up my hormones.

you can get hormone free coil (copper coil). That is my plan after no.2 anyway. Not going with anything hormonal ever again as it messes me up also.
    I'm sick of paying for contraception while it makes me go into zero libido mode. too pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Hi all. thanks for info.
    I have prenatal classes and midwife for some reason didn't want to give an answer :)
    I will find out more after birth as you mentioned.
    I presume its good to check your hormones level before.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

Other posters have mentioned the options available when breastfeeding-
    1.barrier methods eg condoms
    2. Progestogen only methods ie minipill/progestogen only pill, depo provera, implanon and mirena coil. The mirena coil can be put in once you reach 12 weeks post-natally. Any earlier than that and there is a risk of perforation as the womb is still all soft and baggy. ( I insert mirenas).
    No need to check hormone levels though.

Advertisement