If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speaker system

Options
  • 13-07-2010 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have an old stereo system, JVC MODEL NO. CA-FSSD550R, SYSTEM NO. FS-SD550R. I bought this system about 7years ago but never used it for some reason. I can hook an ipod to it through the AUX port, I do want to replace the speakers (the old ones were thrown out years ago) and a sub woofer would be good. Can you recommend a speaker and woofer system that would be suitable, it is for a room about 10ft by 12ft?
    Or would I be better to do it some other maybe cheaper way and forget about the old stereo???

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

barnesr wrote: »
    I have an old stereo system, JVC MODEL NO. CA-FSSD550R, SYSTEM NO. FS-SD550R. I bought this system about 7years ago but never used it for some reason. I can hook an ipod to it through the AUX port, I do want to replace the speakers (the old ones were thrown out years ago) and a sub woofer would be good. Can you recommend a speaker and woofer system that would be suitable, it is for a room about 10ft by 12ft?
    Or would I be better to do it some other maybe cheaper way and forget about the old stereo???

Barnes,

thanks for the post - I remember that system - (even though we did not sell it at the time) it was a stylish looking unit at the time.

You could add new speakers to it - I would suggest something like the Eltax Concept Mini at £19.95 or if you really want to inmprove the system quality - the Monitor Audio Bronze Reference One which we have reduced to just £99.95 :eek: here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055964131

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6776

I would be a bit careful about adding a sub as well - at this stage I think that you should start looking at replacing the system as this would represent better value - we have several excellent systems that you may be interested in - if you would like me to suggest a few - just give me the nod and I'll suggest a few Boardie special alternatives for you?

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barnesr

I would like a couple of suggestions of new system so I can play the ipod through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Barnesr.

Sorry for the late reply....I missed this one.

Is there anything else that you would like the system to be able to do or are you just looking to use it with an Ipod ?

If you can let me know, I'll drop a few suggestions.

Cheers

Dave

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

barnesr wrote: »
    I would like a couple of suggestions of new system so I can play the ipod through it.

Barnsey,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you - here are a few ideas:

Denon DM38: http://www.richersounds.com/product/mini-hifi-systems/denon/dm38dab/deno-dm38dab-blk

This is the latest in the multi award winning range of superb micro systems from Denon and it's already fallen from £229.95 to £199.95.

It features DAB+ tuner & both the timer and remote control have also been made easier to use over the already excellent DM37. It may be small, but when it comes to connections, the Denon DM38 has everything you need. In addition to the USB and mini jack sockets on the front, there are also 2 phono inputs and one output on the back - enough for a recorder and iPod dock. There's also a very useful subwoofer output for an active bass unit.

Denon set the standard for stylish mini systems back in the 1990s, and the DM38 shows they've still got it.

If you wanted to step up a little I can highly receommend the Marantz CR502 which is a slightly larger unit but again features iPOD plug in capability - see the review here: http://whathifi.com/Review/Marantz-M-CR502/ - it's not often that I describe something costing £359.95 a bargain but that's exactly what it is..:D The build quality is exceptional and the sound is even better! and again of course it has DAB radio/FM Radio / CD / and Ipod input.

If you really want to spoil yourself (go on you deserve it ;)) I can recommend the Teac CRH500 DNT - this one has it all! (a gifted product) - It get a great review here: http://whathifi.com/Review/TEAC-CR-H500DNT/ at £500 - at our price of £429.95 - it really is excellent value - this one has internet radio & Ethernet added to the list of goodies that the other units feature!

If yuo wanted to add speakers top any of these I can recommend either the excellent Boston BACS26 speakers: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/-CS-26-Bookshelf-Speaker-P259.aspx which normally retail at £199.95 a pair - I can do these with the systems above at £119.95/pair & if you are tempted by a sub the matching Boston SUB10 active - I can also do at £119.95.

Sorry for being so long winded - if any of these interest you - drop me a line or of course you can give me a budget / want list & send me back to the drawing board & I'll do my best!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.