Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars egged on the Dunmore Road?

• 13-07-2010 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭

So I was still awake at about 2:45 this morning and I heard what sounded like a boy racer's car reversing around outside. I took a look. The car was just passing my house and I saw the lad in the back hand something to the driver. My neighbour two doors up has a really nice old Merc ('91) and Porsche ('86). The driver then threw whatever it was and hopped it right off the windscreen of the Merc as he went past it. It gave a right bang and bounced off it so I went to check out if it was a stone or something and if it had done any damage. It turns out that it was an egg that had been thrown and that it luckily hadn't broken when it hit the windscreen.

I'm assuming that they didn't just throw one egg at one car so I was just wondering if anyone happened to wake up this morning to the sight of their car covered in egg. I know it's nothing major but it's the last thing you'd want to have to deal with when heading off to work in the morning. You'd wonder what's up with people that they have to do this kind of thing to amuse themselves.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thats nothing. We had a hiace van full of people with pitchforks chasing a car yesterday evening here in Tramore :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Yea my sister and her friend got egged while walking on the prom yesterday evening. Prob the same little scummers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sully wrote: »
    Thats nothing. We had a hiace van full of people with pitchforks chasing a car yesterday evening here in Tramore :P

frankenstein again... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

pmccormack wrote: »
    Yea my sister and her friend got egged while walking on the prom yesterday evening. Prob the same little scummers.

Fcuk sake. Was it a green Honda Civic with a modified exhaust? Not exactly the most stealthy of vehicles to use in the dead of night. Turns out they got my fiancée's car too. Didn't notice that last night. Little fcukers. I rang the cops and they said they'd send someone out but I'm sure that's just the standard response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I always try to get the reg when things like that happen.

I was walking the dog one night and had a poor attempt at an egg thrown at me. Missed the reg that night tho. So I picked up the nearest rock in case they came back for another attempt.

These idiots dont realise how dangerous it can be to throw eggs out of a moving car. One of the girls in work got hit in the face while out running and it nearly took her eye out. She was left with a black eye and a cut just under the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Be great if someone got the reg and then everyone can report the incident to the Gardai :)

Yeah I'm usually very good for taking registrations but I was 20-30 feet away, looking down from a height at nearly 3am. The reg wasn't visible while he was throwing the egg and he went off at a fair speed. I thought I might have seen a yellow reg on it but that seems unlikely. If I spot the same car out and about, I'll be taking note of it alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yellow reg is likely. Its illegal, but they use Irish registration numbers on yellow plates sometimes.

When did you call the cops?

Sully wrote: »
    Yellow reg is likely. Its illegal, but they use Irish registration numbers on yellow plates sometimes.

When did you call the cops?

No I mean it's unlikely as such a small number of cars on the roads have them.

I called the cops right away. If they went out the Dunmore Road at all I'm sure they'd have spotted them. It's not as if there woud be a lot of cars on the road at that time and the car was very loud too. I wasn't convinced that they were actually sending someone out when I got off the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What age Civic was it could you spot it on say pistonheads (I have it filtered for 1990-2000 models as I'm guessing its not a recent example)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=827&dist=10&pc=&min=&max=&y1=1990&y2=2000&txt=&px=&filter=TP&o=p&Submit=Search

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    What age Civic was it could you spot it on say pistonheads (I have it filtered for 1990-2000 models as I'm guessing its not a recent example)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=827&dist=10&pc=&min=&max=&y1=1990&y2=2000&txt=&px=&filter=TP&o=p&Submit=Search

My eye is being repeatedly drawn to the 1999 hatch. Couldn't say for certain but if I was to guess, that'd be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was it factory green or a dreaded "day glow" custom jobbie?

mike65 wrote: »
    Was it factory green or a dreaded "day glow" custom jobbie?

It looked a kind of a darkish green. That could just be because it was dark outside but it certainly wasn't a mad colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

last friday morning noticed two broken eggs on ground in the drive way as well...dunmore rd area too heard nothing though night before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

sad people really but on the upside the sales of eggs are up so the egg companies are benefitting. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

they should ban eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Its easy take the piss, but they start with eggs and then they see they get away with it, and it quickly enough gets worse. Best thing to do is find the car and feck it up, can't be too hard to spot by the sounds of it. The guards will do nothing, bout time that people start coming together and dealing with problems like this themselves.The little ****es can't do anything if there's no witnesses or if their scared of what'll happen to them. The normal people are the majority if,the scum bags tactics of intimiditatiion are used against them, the country wouldn't be in such a ****ing state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I didn't hear about recent eggings but a while back my son was egged but it just bounced off him and only broke when it hit a wall. This was by the News & Star.

I was in my car and managed to get the registration. They sped up Newgate Street and at the top spun the car around in a complete circle laughing their heads off. I phoned the gardai and reported it and I was able to stay behind them while my son gave the gardai the directions the lads were going. Also told the gardai that they were doing handbrake turns in the middle of the road and driving dangerously.

Gardai phoned me later thanking us for reporting it and that they got them. We didn't hear anymore about it.

There was a report in the papers in recent months of a woman who lost her eye after she was egged. The woman had to give up her career.

deisemum wrote: »
    I didn't hear about recent eggings but a while back my son was egged but it just bounced off him and only broke when it hit a wall. This was by the News & Star.

I was in my car and managed to get the registration. They sped up Newgate Street and at the top spun the car around in a complete circle laughing their heads off. I phoned the gardai and reported it and I was able to stay behind them while my son gave the gardai the directions the lads were going. Also told the gardai that they were doing handbrake turns in the middle of the road and driving dangerously.

Gardai phoned me later thanking us for reporting it and that they got them. We didn't hear anymore about it.

There was a report in the papers in recent months of a woman who lost her eye after she was egged. The woman had to give up her career.

Yeah if I'd have been more awake I think I'd have hopped in my car and gone driving around until I found them, then told the guards where they were. The incident you witnessed sounds very dangerous. It's interesting that you heard no more about it. That must mean that nothing happened as you would have surely had to make a statement, considering you're the one who saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah if I'd have been more awake I think I'd have hopped in my car and gone driving around until I found them, then told the guards where they were. The incident you witnessed sounds very dangerous. It's interesting that you heard no more about it. That must mean that nothing happened as you would have surely had to make a statement, considering you're the one who saw it.

Yeah I thought the same. I know they did speak with them. I'd have no problem being a witness if I report something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

A nice big rock through their back window would make them think twice about doing it again.. not that I'm condoning such behaviour.. :D

Seriously though, do these little scumbags have nothing else to do with their time apart from throwing eggs???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

deisemum wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the same. I know they did speak with them. I'd have no problem being a witness if I report something.

Maybe you could call Ballybricken and inquire about the incident to see what happened?

It's a great advertisement for Neighbourhood Watch, isn't it? You see something that warrants a call to the Gardai and then go above and beyond the call to ensure the Gardai catch up with them, then hear nothing other than a thank-you. Chances are they were let off with a warning :rolleyes:

Good for you though...well done!

Advertisement