Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old retriever peeing in his bed

Options
  • 13-07-2010 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭

Our 3 month retriever has started peeing on his beds lately, he is nearly house trained bar the odd piddle, but in the last few days he has Peed on his bed, his cushion and an old pillow he had, it's very adkward to clean these beds so I was just wondering does anyone know why he is doing this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long is he left in between toilet breaks?

Pups of 3 months cant hold it for very long, prob 2-3 hours max so if hes left in over night theres no way he will be able to hold it that long as his bladder wouldnt be strong enough just yet.

Is his bed in a crate or just or just on the floor somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It doesn't happen at night, he has training pads and he goes on them, it has happened every time while we are there with the back door open, I just found it strange he would go where he sleeps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you cleaned the bedding properly - if he can still get a scent of the wee he'll keep using the same spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

At three months our pup was holding it for 6 hours at night. Now at four months she holds it for eight.
    Wash the cushions but also the area underneath with a mild vinegar solution to remove the smell. Also try moving the bed to another part of the room.
    The only time our pup has toileted in her bed was a severe case of the runs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I wouldn't think much of it if it was happening at night at night he goes on his training mats, but it's during the day he goes over and hops in and has a pee, he is very good otherwise, I must try a bit of vineger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

As others have said getting rid of the smell is primary to getting him to stop, you could also try some baking soda, after its been cleaned so you cant smell it, clean it twice more to allow for their great sense of smell (esp. for a retriever),maybe even change to a temporary bed (such as a duvet) for a little while to ensure that its not about the smell.
    I just wanted to add...Are there loud noises in your house when he goes in his bed? As their hearing is so sensitive it never hurts to check. sometimes puppies can be easily surprised and either go in their bed out of fright or not wanting to move.
    And the best of luck with your puppy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Vet bed is brilliant, I use it with all our dogs. It's washable at 40 degrees and you can dry in in the dryer or on the line. (check out bronteglen.ie).

It won't solve the problem of course but it will help with leaks so that when he does wet it doesn't sit on the surface.
    It seems pricey at first but some of my vet bed is about 4 or 5 years old and still going strong.

Is his bed plastic or wicker?

Ensure you wash the floor under the bed too, vinegar is great as mentioned.

Advertisement