Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal question about cameras on a bike.

• 13-07-2010 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Frankly, I've had enough of nearly being rammed by inattentive car drivers, in-a-hurry mothers who over-take in the same lane or old biddies who don't look where they're going.

I'm considering getting a helmet cam and starting to record my journeys to work and around and uploading the feeds to youtube and noting the reg plates in the description segment.

But before I even buy a camera, is this legal? Would I get done in for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

why note the reg plates in the description?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Wossack wrote: »
    why note the reg plates in the description?

I can send the Gardai the video and they can note the video evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can send the Gardai the video and they can note the video evidence.

Won't be acted on. Might help you the day somebody ploughs into you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

So you want to persue them legally? then the youtube videos will be inadmisable

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Won't be acted on. Might help you the day somebody ploughs into you though.

I find it somewhat depressing that that's a given and not something you can expect to never happen to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

So long as it's handsfree it's legal. As for the reg numbers, better to just show the plate in the picture.

I find it somewhat depressing that that's a given and not something you can expect to never happen to you.

That's not depressing. Depressing is even if somebody hits you and kills or maims you for life for a stupid driving the worst thing that happens to them is a possible two years off the road. And the chances of that are slim and none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Wossack wrote: »
    So you want to persue them legally? then the youtube videos will be inadmisable

I thought they're admissable, just that they can't be used to prove speeding? For dangerous driving, or if you're hit, I've heard of video evidence from a helmet / dashboard cam being used.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I thought they're admissable, just that they can't be used to prove speeding? For dangerous driving, or if you're hit, I've heard of video evidence from a helmet / dashboard cam being used.

In criminal or civil cases? I was under the impression the gardai would not touch it, but your insurance company would jump all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

In criminal or civil cases? I was under the impression the gardai would not touch it, but your insurance company would jump all over it.

I could be confusing criminal and civil cases alright!

My (probably flawed) logic was that if, for example, if you gave the gardai footage of a car driving the wrong way down a motorway, they'd probably act on it, so there might be a chance of them doing something in the case of other dangerous driving?

In my case it's more likely the camera would incriminate me after I finally snap when the next cager talking on their mobile tries to knock me off, and I'd have to pay the hospital bills for emergency rectal phone removal surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

there was a question nearly the exact same as this in the legal forum - have a search...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

jameshayes wrote: »
    there was a question nearly the exact same as this in the legal forum - have a search...

Same thing came up in the cycling forum - come crazy scot almost getting creamed by trucks etc. A point was made that with said camera on board, you were more likely to be involved in an incident and put yourself in dangerous situations that otherwise you wouldn't because you had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

record first, I wouldn't lose any sleep over whether you 'should' or not: in a civil case, say, it'd still be more than useful.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I'd say ,apart from all the legal do's or dont's..you're not going to be concetrating as much as you would without a camera....it might actually cause you to crash...better to just suck it up and get on with it....maybe you need to address your own driving skills....we all feel your pain...just my opinion..;)

...how would having a camera change your riding ? :confused:

There's no monitor, just a cam, so nothing to watch......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    There's no monitor, just a cam, so nothing to watch......

That's not the point.

the point I alluded to earlier was that you "go out of your way to prove its usefulness" whereas you wouldn't if you didn't have the camera.

Here is the cycling thread.

;)
    nereid wrote: »
    That's not the point.

the point I alluded to earlier was that you "go out of your way to prove its usefulness" whereas you wouldn't if you didn't have the camera.

Ditto......it'd be a bit like having a passenger who's a cop with you all the time...:)...its a very dangerous false sense of security..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

If all else fails......you can allways throw the camera at them!

furerer wrote: »
    If all else fails......you can allways throw the camera at them!

:D:D:D..........from the ambulance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

That's not the point.

I've never heard of such nonsense.

Prove it.

• Advertisement

That's not the point.

Nonsense. That truck/car/sheep will still be there, possibly even trying to kill you, and your mode of escape will be no different.

Having a camera on/off/nowhere changes none of the above.

Ode To The Motorist

So youre driving down the road , car pulls out of a junction if front of you , you have time to avoid a collision...BUT in a millisecond you think "if i glance off the car and slide a bit down the road i'll get a few bob and no one gets hurt....luckly i have the camera on my lid....here we go then....

could happen....;)

This thread is going nowhere, i think if the op wants to fit a camera let him, if it makes him feel better/safer/a better rider then thats all that matters...

T-Square wrote: »
    I've never heard of such nonsense.

Prove it.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Nonsense.

You want me to prove that I will put myself in more danger by adding a camera to myself?

There is nothing for me to prove, certainly not to you. I merely pointed out that this discussion has already taken place for over 5 pages and the outcome though inconclusive, indicated the possibility that perhaps it may cause you overreact when otherwise you wouldn't.

My solution to muppets on the road is training. This means that I blame myself rather than other users. It is about being responsible for your actions. I know everyone out there is probably oblivious to me, I don't need a camera to prove it. I just pass them where safe and watch them disappear in my mirrors.

Sid's not said it better than I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

I just pass them where safe and watch them disappear in my mirrors.
    QUOTE]

Are you speeding.......naughty, naughty, naughty! Wanna make sure the old bill dont use your camera as evidence against you.....plus while you're looking in your mirrors some dopy ol' fart has just pulled out in front of you, and because you are looking in your mirrors the camera didn't catch any of it......PLUS....you wanna make sure the camera doesn't come loose...it could end up in someones orifice!!

I take everything back..I WANT one of those Gyroscopic cameras......how cool are they..:cool:

(if you havent been watching the motogp practice you wont know what i'm talkin about..)..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Would it not compromise the safety of the helmet? In an impact the camera might penetrate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

mb1725 wrote: »
    Would it not compromise the safety of the helmet? In an impact the camera might penetrate it.

Yeah, I wouldn't want anything penetrating my helmet :pac:

KTRIC wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't want anything penetrating my helmet :pac:

'specially not a camera.....:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Sids Not wrote: »
    So youre driving down the road , car pulls out of a junction if front of you , you have time to avoid a collision...BUT in a millisecond you think "if i glance off the car and slide a bit down the road i'll get a few bob and no one gets hurt....luckly i have the camera on my lid....here we go then....

could happen....;)

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You seriously think anyone would consider this? Do you have a bike? Would you do it?
    Unbelievable statement!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You seriously think anyone would consider this? Do you have a bike? Would you do it?
    Unbelievable statement!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:.......:rolleyes:

Advertisement