Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How realistic is the idea of getting sponsored on a 1 year WHV?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

Apologies of this has already been asked but I cannot find a thread.

Myself & the GF are gonna head over to Australia on a 1 yesr WHV visa early next year. We are both in our late 20's and are looking to get sponsored so we can stay for the long term.

As much fun as trekking around the country sounds, we are going with the aim of not coming back, so would be prepared to just go and work for 6 months for an employer and ask for sponsorship once the 6 months is up. If unsuccessful move city's and try to get sponsored again. But how realistic is this? - Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? Or do people successfully get sponsored on 1 year visas?.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

100% if you have the correct skills and experience.

I basically got a job after 5 weeks and asked about sponsorship in the interview, they give me the job on a 6 month trial (was only 3 month rule then) and got sponsored in the 5th Month.

But also be prepared to be disappointed as many people don't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 William NoMates

Thanks

I work in Finance, have about 7 years back & front office experience but going on what I hear its the engineers that are in demand overe there nowadays. I'd happily do something different if it could get me sponsored

Any idea why people dont make it? Do they just not have the experience or qualifications?

cheers

Any idea why people dont make it? Do they just not have the experience or qualifications?

cheers

Really thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

In order to sponsor a person the company is supposed to prove that they can't find an Australian person to do the job. Therefor it is important you have both the experience and qualifications to do the job you are being sponsored for. Have you looked at other visas such as State sponsorship or skilled migration as sponsorship(457) would be way down most peoples list of preferred visas.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads

I didnt realise they had to prove that they can't find an Australian person to do the job - thats a significiant barrier.

We have taken the online test and my GF has 120 points but I only get 110, so it doesnt work for me... I suppose we could get married as away around it, but thats a whole other discussion! From the research ive done it seems my only real option is to get the WHV and try to get sponsored...

*** additional comment -

Sorry Aido, I just realised that you were referring to a sponsorship visa. I had considered this, but I was underimpression it was better to get over there and then try to get sponsored by a company

It's Same thing for a sponsored 457 visa, basically the employer has to advertise and interview so many locals plus show evidence of training plan to be able to sponsor a non resident.

Thanks Mandrake,

Your posts have been very helpful - One last question, is the only way to determine how in demand your skills education & experience are (if i try for a 457 sponsorship visa), is to actually start applying for jobs or would I take it that if "Financial planner" or "Client relationship manager" isnt on the skilled occupation list then it will be very difficult to get sponsored?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

As your girlfriend is the one with 120 she applys and you go as her de-facto partner. If you lived together for a period of 6 months prior to application?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Get a job in Recruitment. They give visa's away like sweets. I know, Im on one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

would I take it that if "Financial planner" or "Client relationship manager" isnt on the skilled occupation list then it will be very difficult to get sponsored?

Thanks again

If your occupation isnt on the list, you CANT get sponsored. But look into it carefully, any occupations that are remotly connected to your profession might qualify. So check out the definitions of the occupations on the immigration website.

e.g. I thought i couldnt get sponsored because Architectural Technician wasnt on the list, but Architectural Associate was. So i checked into it, and Architectural Associate includes Draftspeople. So i qualified under that. Happy Days :)

But if that doesnt work out, go for what Zambia232 said.

Thanks for all the replies,

With regards to the De-facto route, it turns out the my GF's occupation is on the old list but not on the post july 1st list - so she wont get in under the current rules.

Ill have another look at the list ans see if there are any occupations that are remotly connected to mine profession... if not ill look at recruitment! :)

cheers lads

Here is 457 occupation list attached.

Of course even if you find something on the list that is similar to your occupation you still have to find a job & willing sponsor.

Thanks Mandrake,

That looks to be the post july 1st list though - Thats the mistake i made a few days ago, there is a newer more restrictive list.

I've looked through the current list and I just dont quailfy. Australia doesnt seem to need any more financial chancers! ... ahem

I do however appear qualify on the regional Jobs list.. I had a look at some of the postcodes that are classified as regional and they seem only a short distance from the major citys some only 50km...

I would consider this as an option if there are jobs, as i can become a PR this way without having to live in the middle of no-where. Have you any opinion on the regional situation? for example Avoca ourside Sydney is classified as regional but seems to be reasonably busy place... not a backwater

I suppose what im asking is have you any opinion if there are actual jobs in regional Oz? broadly speaking
    Thanks[/LEFT]

I do however appear qualify on the regional Jobs list.. I had a look at some of the postcodes that are classified as regional and they seem only a short distance from the major citys some only 50km...

I would consider this as an option if there are jobs, as i can become a PR this way without having to live in the middle of no-where. Have you any opinion on the regional situation? for example Avoca ourside Sydney is classified as regional but seems to be reasonably busy place... not a backwater

I suppose what im asking is have you any opinion if there are actual jobs in regional Oz? broadly speaking
    Thanks[/LEFT]

Are you talking about Avoca in Kangaroo Valley?, or Avoca Beach?

Avoca beach - post code 2251.

Here is the list of postcodes that apply to regional sponsorship visas

http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/rsms_postcodes.htm

Thats Avoca beach on the Central coast definitely not Wall Street when it comes to Financial jobs, nice enough place for a holiday and most of the population live in Sydney during the week and only come up to the holiday house by the beach for the weekend.

Thanks - Its probably the same for multiple costal communities, but i'm surprised thats its classified as rural

I think my point is, is that Rural doesnt seem to necessarily mean farms and bush land. But if there are no jobs its a no go...

Thanks - Its probably the same for multiple costal communities, but i'm surprised thats its classified as rural

I think my point is, is that Rural doesnt seem to necessarily mean farms and bush land. But if there are no jobs its a no go...

Thats RSMS sponsored visa, I think you still have to get sponsored by an employer but because its a regional area they are a bit more lax with other conditions like applicants age being over 45..

Really its a poor mans ENS.

At this point I think i can comfortably classify myself as a "poor man" - ill do a bit more research on it, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

doing some research yesterday and found out about the "Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme" visa (119)

Is this too good to be true:eek:

I'm a Qualified QS, my gf is Level 6 childcare worker, In South Australia both jobs are on there recent skills shortage list... :D

All in need is a job offer etc and hey presto!!!! or is it hard to get, I read only 500 of these visas are available per state(I think):confused:

Anyone like to enlighten me:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

rightyabe wrote: »
    doing some research yesterday and found out about the "Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme" visa (119)

Is this too good to be true:eek:

I'm a Qualified QS, my gf is Level 6 childcare worker, In South Australia both jobs are on there recent skills shortage list... :D

All in need is a job offer etc and hey presto!!!! or is it hard to get, I read only 500 of these visas are available per state(I think):confused:

Anyone like to enlighten me:P

Come out on a WHV
    Get sponsered
    Live happily ever after.
    How much experience have you?
    Where did you study?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

mandrake04 wrote: »
    100% if you have the correct skills and experience.

I basically got a job after 5 weeks and asked about sponsorship in the interview, they give me the job on a 6 month trial (was only 3 month rule then) and got sponsored in the 5th Month.

But also be prepared to be disappointed as many people don't make it.

You don't know any Irish people working in Hotels/restaurants in Oz do ya? Any idea if there are sponsorship opportunities in this industry as so far as I can see most people on this forum who have recieved sponsorship are in finance or engineering

You don't know any Irish people working in Hotels/restaurants in Oz do ya? Any idea if there are sponsorship opportunities in this industry as so far as I can see most people on this forum who have recieved sponsorship are in finance or engineering

Well the whole point of sponsorship is employing someone to fill a postion that cant be filled by a local, restaurant workers and dishwashers would be dime-a-dozen. Maybe if you were experienced hotel manager or event co-ordinator you might pick something up but the best occupations for sponsorship is Engineering, IT & some of the trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well the whole point of sponsorship is employing someone to fill a postion that cant be filled by a local, restaurant workers and dishwashers would be dime-a-dozen. Maybe if you were experienced hotel manager or event co-ordinator you might pick something up but the best occupations for sponsorship is Engineering, IT & some of the trades.

Ha well I won't be washing dishes. I will have an honours degree in food & beverage management, I am currently working as a restaurant supervisor and have pretty good experience working as a waiter in new york, florida and london. However I have never managed a hotel and was wishfully thinking that I get work in a hotel - they'd like the cut of my jib and sponsor me.. :D

..or do ya reckon i'd be better off forgetting that pipe dream?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭betting fool

Just reading this tread and see that an ''insurance broker'' is on the skills list. I have been working in insurance for over 3 years, have a higher cert in business (useless I know) and also have just complete insurance exams so in Ireland I am a qualified insurance adviser.

If I was to find a job in I insurance, would an Australian company be allowed sponsor me??

Also, re the 6 month limit on working for one company, if I get my 88 days done asap and get a second visa, are you allowed work for the same company for 12 months (ie 6 months on each visa)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If I was to find a job in I insurance, would an Australian company be allowed sponsor me??
    More than likely yes, there are a lot of rules around when a company can sponsor etc, but if they are an established company with a sound financial record, then they should be okay
    - just don't ask "what are my chances"
    Also, re the 6 month limit on working for one company, if I get my 88 days done asap and get a second visa, are you allowed work for the same company for 12 months (ie 6 months on each visa)

Yes you can do this
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm
    If you hold a second Working Holiday visa, you may return to work for a further six months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday visa.

Have a read over all the working holiday visa pages, more than likely any question you have will be answered there

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭betting fool

Thanks for the reply, I'll read through that now.

Ha well I won't be washing dishes. I will have an honours degree in food & beverage management, I am currently working as a restaurant supervisor and have pretty good experience working as a waiter in new york, florida and london. However I have never managed a hotel and was wishfully thinking that I get work in a hotel - they'd like the cut of my jib and sponsor me.. :D

..or do ya reckon i'd be better off forgetting that pipe dream?

Well same as anything if you have a skill that an employer requires and they find it hard to fill the postion locally then you could be sponsored, your angle could be that you have international experience in hospitality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement