Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby clothing sizes -

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

0-3,3-9, & 6-9 months generally means something different size wise in every different shop. Different lengths weights, some have no length.:(

Has any seem anything comparing different shops (at least the main ones).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Dunnes Stores could have two baby outfits in the same size side by side and the outfits will be two completely different sizes. Was in a while ago and ended up coming out with 6-9 and 3-6 and 9-12 from my eight month old. Crazy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We found them all more or less the same except for Pennys their heights are normally a size below the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

H&M have great clothes and they are on the large size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I go by how they clothes look rather than the size on the label, however the European method of sizing used in places like H&M and POP in House of Fraser is a better idea than the standard x-x month one.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Based on my "scientific" research into baby clothes over the last two years:

Your baby will be the marker of what age they go in rather than the sizes. My little fella was always the next size up in clothes, i.e. was in 3-6 months from about 8 weeks. This tends to level off coming up to their first bday and clothes start to last them longer than a few weeks.

Penney's and Dunnes are the smallest sizes, and they get even smaller after washing. I would go up to the next size in them.

Marks and Tesco are more generous and wash better than the others.

Next are the most generous and best washing of all. I got a load of 12-18 mth babygros from there last year and he started wearing them around 12 months and they would stsill squeeze on to him now and he's wearing 2-3 clothes!

In European stores like Premaman, H&M and Name It I would err on the bigger sizes again.

• Advertisement

Penney's and Dunnes are the smallest sizes, and they get even smaller after washing. I would go up to the next size in them.

Have to agree about pennys, So nice until you wash them and then you might as well bin them - shrinky and creasey. I have a severe allergy to ironing :p

I do a big sainsburys shop with my mother in law in UK twice a year and get lots of great stuff. The sizes are on the large size and they wash very well and are much nicer than what's on offer in Tesco.

Saying that Tesco babygrows are fantastic, they wash well and are cheap cheap cheap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Grawns wrote: »
    H&M have great clothes and they are on the large size.
    Weird - I've found H&M to be really small! My 5 week old can't fit into their 1-2month size, and she never fitted into the 0-1month. She was 8lb4 at birth and 10lb7oz (4.75 kg) now so not a giant baby by any stretch! But their clothes are very cute.
    I've found Mothercare slightly bigger than Next too.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I thought the same until I realised that clothes made in China or India are much smaller than those made in other countries. I presume it's just down to cultural size differences but the 3-6 months clothes made in China/India fit my little fella (who was only 6lbs when he was born) at 8 weeks, and he had grown out of them by 3 months.
    Also, I definitely noticed that Dunnes and Penneys stuff shrink after one wash. I found Next and M&S quality to be the best.

janmc wrote: »
    Weird - I've found H&M to be really small! My 5 week old can't fit into their 1-2month size, and she never fitted into the 0-1month. She was 8lb4 at birth and 10lb7oz (4.75 kg) now so not a giant baby by any stretch! But their clothes are very cute.

AFAIK 0-1 month or newborn only goes up to 7lbs and 0-3 months is up to 9 or 10lbs. H&M make it confusing as they give length as a guide to size. Like it's easy to measure a baby?

M&S have a similiar size guide here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

janmc wrote: »

8lb4 would be considered a big baby. as grawns said most newborn stuff actually only fits up to 7lb-7.5lbs.

Find mothercares stuff tends to be on the large side, as does next, always wait for the christmas sale and stock up for the year, handbags at dawn style.

Also +1 on tesco's, you cant beat their babygro's, wash well and good quality as well, and so cheap! Really cute bids in there lately as well.

• Advertisement

gogo wrote: »
    as grawns said most newborn stuff actually only fits up to 7lb-7.5lbs.
    All the newborn babygros & vests we have (from Next, Mamas & Papas & Mothercare) are for up to 10lbs. You might be thinking of the Mothercare tiny baby range -they're for up to 7lbs- 7.5lbs.

In case it helps the OP, the newborn ones we have from Next & M&P don't fit anymore, but the Mothercare ones just about still do.

Are you not thinking of 0-3mths (7-10lbs) rather than 0-1mth (5-7.5lbs). A babygro for a 10 lb-er would be swimming on a newborn 7lb-er ( which is an average size). This is all very confusing :confused:

No, I'm positive! I was sorting through them earlier to put away the ones that no longer fit and just double checked the labels. Check herehttp://www.mothercare.com/gp/node/n/49363031/279-1486918-2571415?ie=UTF8&mcb=core if you don't believe me! ;)

24331102._V192204465_.gif

I guess I had a tiny baby then- I thought she was average at 3.37k (7lbs 4 oz).
    ps. I've never bought anything in Mothercare as I can't stand the rubbish assistants.

I had my baby in Holles St and I thought 8lb4 was big, as did all my family/husband's family. But the midwives there said that she was around average these days and that babies in Ireland are getting bigger. There were some monster 10lb+ babies in the nursery alright, but I don't know if there are official statistics showing this or if it was just the midwives impression.

I had some of the Mothercare tiny baby babygros and vests in my hospital bag, but they never fitted her! Luckily I had newborn things as well. I wonder if the people who do have 10lb+ babies have to rush out to buy 0-3mth stuff to fit? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm so glad, I thought it was just me that found the sizing frustrating in aforementioned shops!

Take for example in Next clothes she's in 3 - 6 month size (she's 4.5 months) & they fit fine.
    I have some 3 - 6 month Adam's babygro's & they're starting to be snug on her & in Penneys babygro's she's in size 6 - 12 months! :eek:
    It's so erratic, though I suppose it must be tricky for the manufacture to size the stuff for babies seeing as there can so much of a variation in the sizes of the little ones

Advertisement