Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary Shift or Shift plus bank holidays

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum

I work a shift pattern in my job, my salary is made up of shift + shift rate for example € 80 K ( i wish :))
    However I work every Irish bank holiday and earn an additional for example €5K
    As per my last years P60 my salary was 85K.

I am now changing to a Monday to Friday role and my employer claims I earn 80K. Is this correct even though my P60 says otherwise? This year everybody in the company is getting a raise ( I know very lucky in this climate), I was told I would get this plus a raise as I am promoted. However, the company are offering me less than 85K.

Is this fair, have I any rights especially since I earned more last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Don't take this as gospel but as far as I know this is how it works;

You get a basic salary plus a shift work allowance (generally a percentage)

If you stop doing shifts and just work normal hours then you just get your basic salary; if they are giving you a pay rise it is not going to be substantial enough to cover what the shift allowance was as it is generally about 30% or more.

IMO they would be entitled to do this as they are not reducing your basic salary. You lose the benefits of the shift allowance for normal working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

My question is...............should the company recognize what is on my p60 as salary or the smaller amount base plus shift rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Your P60 is basically just a statement of what you earned during the previous year and of all the taxes your employer paid on your behalf.

So what the company recognises as your salary is your basic wage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What is on your P60 as your total earnings for the year, is not necessarily your salary.

E.g. in the past I have had jobs where due to bonuses etc my pay could be 10/15% more for the year than my actual salary.

Your salary is what it says in your contract, so if your salary is listed as 80k and you get a shift allowance of 10% that brings it up to 88k.

If you stop working shifts then your salary reverts back to your salary only. It's perfectly legal for the company to do this as you are no longer working a shift, so they do not have to pay you a shift allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

The amount on your P60 is more than likely NOT your basic salary.
    It includes amounts such as benefit in kind, overtime and bonuses.

One example when this distinction is important is for pension contributions. They are almost always made on your basic salary only.

So, no, your employer does not have to recognise your salary as any higher than what is stated in your contract. If you ask for a salary cert he can provide you with a breakdown e.g. Basic salary, bonus for previous year, etc.

Advertisement