Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old car parked outside my house 2 months.

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

Sorry in advance if I have posted in the wrong area , Mods Pls feel free to move to correct area.

There has been a old car (96 civic) parked outside the driveway to my house for the past 2 months now. The person that left the car there gave just enough room to drive my car out of the drive way but its a tight squeeze to say the least.

At the time I didnt mind because its a busy road and now and again people park there but are normally gone in a few days etc. This person has left the car there for the past 8 weeks and it hasnt moved from the spot. The car has no tax and insurance and Im starting to think it might be a case that it was dumped there.

Ive left a note on the car but to no avail. I presume the next plan of action to contact the gardai to move the car or is it corporation that would deal with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

A friend of a friend of a friend had the same problem. One night, strong gusting winds blew the reg plates off the car and down the road, nowhere to be seen. He then contacted the council who removed it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it lost its plates it would go quicker.
    Ring the Council/Corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yeah, if the car has no plates, then you can report it to the council, and they will then come and take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People will often do this if they're going on an extended holiday or keeping the car off the road.

I would drop an anonymous note into the houses on your road saying that the Gardai have been informed and will be removing the car on Friday if it's not moved before then (you don't have to have contacted the Gardai).

If the car hasn't moved by the weekend then you know it's abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stee wrote: »
    One night, strong gusting winds blew the reg plates off the car and down the road, nowhere to be seen.

Amazing how that happens, always at night too. Strange

Do the note as posted above above, after that, who knows maybe the plates disappear all on their own and somebody calls the council

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cacokicksass

I have the very same problem ongoing. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and cars are constantly being left outside my house for months. I have taken reg plates off and the car is moved the next day, but not by the council.

Some of you may or may not be aware of the laws regarding importation of second hand cars in Nigeria. Basically the Nigerian government don't allow second hand cars to be imported but they do allow second hand car parts. What happens is Nigerians living over here buy large, big engined cars second hand at auction and then park them randomly about housing estates so as not to draw attention. Then when enough cars have been accumulated by a group of individuals all the cars are gathered up and taken away to be partially disassembled, loaded into a container and sent to Nigeria. They are then re-assembled in Nigeria and sold.

Its a bit crap the way the Nigerian government operate in a way that only benefits the wealthier Northern Muslim population but its not really my or anyone else's fault who have to endure this intrusive practice.

Take the reg plates off is unfortunately the only option or else confront the individual, normally easy to find as they will have no car in their garden in case the social welfare inspector makes a visit.

At one point there was a bus left outside my house which was the ultimate in taking the p***. I confronted the lad who had left it there and asked him to move it, he wasn't too keen as he said he had nowhere else to park it, I mentioned getting the gardai up to get it moved and he moved it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I normally give it 2 days then ring the cops, as it could have been a getaway car.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gary_bre

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get onto the corporation/Council this afternoon and see what the story is.

Forgot to mention that I did ask the neighbours but they said they didnt know who owned the car either.

Im fairly relaxed about these kinds of things but 8 weeks is a bit much now and the local kids (6-10 years old) are running/playing around it and it wont be long til they are up jumping/bouncing on it.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

gary_bre wrote: »
    Hi All

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get onto the corporation/Council this afternoon and see what the story is.

Forgot to mention that I did ask the neighbours but they said they didnt know who owned the car either.

Im fairly relaxed about these kinds of things but 8 weeks is a bit much now and the local kids (6-10 years old) are running/playing around it and it wont be long til they are up jumping/bouncing on it.

cheers

make sure those plates are gone before you ring or itll be a waist of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

We had the same problem on our road. The reg plates were still on but no tax or insurance discs. If you can get a name and number for your local council and get as many of your neighbours to ring and complain it will be moved.
    When calling say that kids are messing with it and it could become a health and safety issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tskk wrote: »
    We had the same problem on our road. The reg plates were still on but no tax or insurance discs. If you can get a name and number for your local council and get as many of your neighbours to ring and complain it will be moved.
    When calling say that kids are messing with it and it could become a health and safety issue.

Council won't care- unless the plates are removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭sickofwaiting

Some of you may or may not be aware of the laws regarding importation of second hand cars in Nigeria. Basically the Nigerian government don't allow second hand cars to be imported but they do allow second hand car parts. What happens is Nigerians living over here buy large, big engined cars second hand at auction and then park them randomly about housing estates so as not to draw attention. Then when enough cars have been accumulated by a group of individuals all the cars are gathered up and taken away to be partially disassembled, loaded into a container and sent to Nigeria. They are then re-assembled in Nigeria and sold.

I dont get this. Cars here are wwwaaayy more expensive than in nigeria. Then you have to take into account labour costs for collecting dismantling/reassembling the cars, and also transport costs. How exactly does this procedure turn a profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cacokicksass

I dont get this. Cars here are wwwaaayy more expensive than in nigeria. Then you have to take into account labour costs for collecting dismantling/reassembling the cars, and also transport costs. How exactly does this procedure turn a profit?

Second hand imported cars are cheaper than brand new cars, the problem is getting second hand cars.

Corrupt government that can't get away with simply killing the christians that don't fit into their idea of a Muslim Nigeria, so make laws that force them to leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I remember there was a car parked for ages in front of an apartment behind the apartment I used to live in. It was there for so long there was moss growing under it. I didn't mind as it wasn't parked in front of our apartment but I noticed the woman behind us left a note on it at one time to no avail. Eventually, the car was removed. I'm not sure if the reg plates had been carried away by the wind before that. The road that I was living on was fairly secluded so it was an ideal place to ditch a car for a prolonged period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Guys, removing someone's registration plates is criminal damage, stop advising it.

The council will normally act if there is no current tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Victor wrote: »
    Guys, removing someone's registration plates is criminal damage, stop advising it.

The council will normally act if there is no current tax.

They can surely trace the owner via the reg plates?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graces7 wrote: »
    They can surely trace the owner via the reg plates?

Not if they have skipped the country. Over 120,000 left last year- and this is accelerating. Once a car is 12 years of age or more- very often its cheaper to abondon it than to service it and bring it to a reasonable state of repair in order to sell it. Its not uncommon for it to cost more to service an older car- or to change its tyres, than the car is actually worth (market value).

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you contact the waste enforcement unit of your county council, they will sort it. Had an abandoned car at the top of my road for a few months. No tax or insurance. They'll put a sticker on it saying that it'll be towed in a week if not taxed, then it's gone.

No need to remove plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Please don't remove the plates- it could be a car that has been stolen, or plates swapped etc. The last registered owner can be traced by the council by the reg number, if there are no plates can be done by the reg number on the tax disc etc. The registered owner is contacted and given a time frame to resolve the issue- move the car if its theirs, inform the motor tax people that they no longer own the car. Details of these are always forwarded to the Gardai so they can check their system to see if there are any matches with cars being reported missing.

The council MUST attempt to contact the last registered owner if they can trace who it is, and wait for them to reply within the time frame given. However, I think if it has expired tax/insurance they can shift it anyway.

Advertisement