Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC V TNS - Champions League KO 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You have to feel for the Bohs fans. From what I heard, they outnumbered and out-sung the TNS fans in their own backyard, yet were thoroughly trashed.

I don't think we'll have too many LOI fan-boi's comparing the league to the English Championship or Celtic and Rangers after this!

You have to feel for the Bohs fans. From what I heard, they outnumbered and out-sung the TNS fans in their own backyard, yet were thoroughly trashed.

I don't think we'll have too many LOI fan-boi's comparing the league to the English Championship or Celtic and Rangers after this!
    Funny you mention Celtic because......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Run along now.

We're gloating about a team in our league.

Your presence isn't required as it's none of your business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

/sticks hand up.

My team won more games in Europe in the last 2 years then Scotland and Championship combined.

Now i have to watch as every other team in the league undos the ranking we won them.

Whos next on the embarassing us trip? oh its Rovers cmon the Hoops do us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Spoilt bastards is what they are.

Lay off. I've been a Bohs supporter for years and I feel embarrassed by this result, but I'd never gloat at another Irish team's failed efforts in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Same team or not, the LoI is getting worse by the year
    Which would explain why the LOI has been climbing the UEFA rankings over the last few years.
    Let's face it thats a pathetic result. I think the glory days for Irish clubs are now over and we'll see more cricket scores in the years to come.:(
    It is a pathetic result, but it's just that: a result. We can no more judge the standard of the league based on Boh's performance tonight than we can based on Pats win against Krylya Sovetov last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

eightyfish wrote: »
    Lay off. I've been a Bohs supporter for years and I feel embarrassed by this result, but I'd never gloat at another Irish team's failed efforts in Europe.

I didn't gloat.

I was referring to the thread on the Bohs forum.

No team has a divine right to win a match, especially in the Champions League and even more so if you are an Irish team in the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

eightyfish wrote: »
    Bohs fans have spent the last few years gloating about everything under the sun, including celebrating the near extinction of Rovers and Shels, glorifying Louis Kilcoyne, supporting the GAA against us, the loss of Milltown, homelessness etc. ad infinitum.

Honestly, dont expect much sympathy. Youd be better placed figuring out how you are going to pay off the overdraft that paid for your fleeting success.

• Advertisement

No team has a divine right to win a match, especially in the Champions League and even more so if you are an Irish team in the Champions League.

I see what you mean from that thread. I was hesitant to talk about the Belgian team until we got past total network solutions, which most people presumed would not be a problem. Boy were they wrong.

Feels like such a let-down, after so many nights spent as a paid spectator. Not just to be defeated, but to be defeated so embarrassingly. I presume we'll get over it, but not for along while.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Honestly, dont expect much sympathy

Of course I don't expect sympathy, but don't judge all the fans by the vocal ones. I'm going to support every Irish team in Europe be it us or Rovers or anybody else. We are enemies when we play each other but clansmen when we play abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

some of the comments are fcuking priceless and really makes ye wonder do people understand football atall.

firstly i seen TNS in dublin last week and they are a good side but bohs should have had enough to beat them by more than one goal in the home leg.
    players have been moaning about their bonus all week very suspicious that it happens to be in the same week as a very important CL game imo they can all go in sh1te if they had a brain they would have waited til after this game.
    as i mentioned above i think this had an effect on the game tonight,i dont think the players give a **** anymore and pat fenlon looks set to leave another club royaly fcuked finacially.the result tonight was an embarrassment and an insult to every person that works so hard at bohs and every fan that goes week in week out.

on a positive note bohs should have a very big away support in bray on friday.:mad:

major bill wrote: »
    some of the comments are fcuking priceless and really makes ye wonder do people understand football atall.
    Like which?

cos celtic and rangers have never lost heavely to so called ''bad sides'' in europe kaunas and artmedia come to mind.

ye cant compare one off day result and make assumptions on a league as a whole.

CSF wrote: »
    Like which?

some people seem to think bohs should have strolled by them cos they were welsh.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

some people seem to think bohs should have strolled by them cos they were welsh.:rolleyes:
    They should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Like I said earlier, it was a reserve Gretna.

They should have.

Thats a very ignorant comment to make:rolleyes: yes we should have beat them as i still think we were a better footballing side but what were you expecting a walkover, they were a professional team strong at the back dangerous on the counter attack, they would beat most irish sides on there day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

djpbarry wrote: »
    It is a pathetic result, but it's just that: a result. We can no more judge the standard of the league based on Boh's performance tonight than we can based on Pats win against Krylya Sovetov last season.

But we also had Dundalk getting hammered 6-0 last week which does'nt help the league either. But your right it probably should be judged on it's own rather than as a reflection on the league as a whole.

Hopefully Shams and Fingal will restore the leagues pride.

[/B]

cos celtic and rangers have never lost heavely to so called ''bad sides'' in europe kaunas and artmedia come to mind.

ye cant compare one off day result and make assumptions on a league as a whole.

You know what's like. They hate the LOI but have to keep tabs on it just n case a team from the league does a Rosenborg and they're caught short by not supporting them. Then they can spoof down the local to the "Scousers" and the "Mancs" that they always knew the score and Ireland is where it's at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

But we also had Dundalk getting hammered 6-0 last week which does'nt help the league either.
    True enough - it's not been a good European season so far. But Rovers and Fingal are still well in with a shout in their ties and maybe Dundalk can restore some pride on Thursday (although I doubt it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

After seeing this thread had 15 pages I had a feeling things didn't go so well.. But 4-0:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I really really have to ignore the temptation of this thread until Thursday:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Was very disappointed seeing the updates on here with the goals banging in. After going to the first leg I hoped Bohs would at least put up a fight but its a real shame not to see them at least go to the next round.

Thats a very ignorant comment to make:rolleyes: yes we should have beat them as i still think we were a better footballing side but what were you expecting a walkover, they were a professional team strong at the back dangerous on the counter attack, they would beat most irish sides on there day.
    Its not an ignorant comment to make. Bohs are have much better players at their disposal, on a much bigger budget, full-time too. They were the seeded team, they should have knocked out TNS relative comfortably. Thats not to say that the reverse was an impossibility, the opposite was proven tonight, these events are called upsets. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Bohs should have knocked this team out and they'll know that just as much as I do

dfx- wrote: »
    **** it, make hay while the sun shines I say :D

Its not an ignorant comment to make. Bohs are have much better players at their disposal, on a much bigger budget, full-time too. They were the seeded team, they should have knocked out TNS relative comfortably. Thats not to say that the reverse was an impossibility, the opposite was proven tonight, these events are called upsets. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Bohs should have knocked this team out and they'll know that just as much as I do

first of all they are Full time i suspect every one hasnt a clue what sort of budget they have its all persumptions on this board.just cause they were from wales didnt mean they were gonna be easy or that they were a pub team.

If it happens(ed) to us, the gloating would be ten-fold. Fuck it, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Shocking result for the league. Come on Rovers & Fingal, do us proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Trying to figure which reverse was more embarrassing - Longfords effort against Camarthen a few years ago, or this. of course CCFC did not cover themselves in glory against FC Haka a few years ago either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

The big club. Tee hee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The plastic pitch was fingered on radio this morning but I dunno how true that is. Of coure if you know you will have to play on such a surface a bit of training on same would seem like a good idea. Was there anywhere Bohs could have played in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

mike65 wrote: »
    The plastic pitch was fingered on radio this morning but I dunno how true that is. Of coure if you know you will have to play on such a surface a bit of training on same would seem like a good idea. Was there anywhere Bohs could have played in Dublin?

They don't lose 4-0 every time they play away to Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

first of all they are Full time i suspect every one hasnt a clue what sort of budget they have its all persumptions on this board.just cause they were from wales didnt mean they were gonna be easy or that they were a pub team.

I agree with you when you say they were a full time outfit and, as such, couldn't be completely clueless. However, you really need to take into account the fact that they only recently started into pre season training and would be expected to have nowhere near the same amount of match sharpness as a Bohs side well into the grind of their season.

Moreover, in terms of European experience, the Bohs squad were far advanced in comparison to TNS. From a betting perspective when you consider all the factors (coaching / playing ability / fitness / experience) Bohs would have been strong favourites to progress from the tie, and to lose in the manner they did would have been hugely unexpected.

I have no interest in gloating though, I am aware of the seriousness of the potential ramifications of this defeat. But that is always the reality when walking the high wire like Bohs have done the past few seasons. I'd imagine a lot of your frustration will stem from the players not giving an effort commensurate to the importance of the game for the club as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Anyway, I'll be there tomorrow night hoping Sporting Fingal can capitalize on a good away result to a very decent side. If Fingal and Rovers can take both ties down to the wire there will have been some positives from the week as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

disappointing result, will set the LOI european challenge back a bit if results dont go our way in the remaining 3 games.

really feel sorry for bohs and their fans, this is a game they should be winning, must have just had a total off night.

hopefully one of the other teams can pull off a result, Fingal have a huge chance.

gimmick wrote: »
    Trying to figure which reverse was more embarrassing - Longfords effort against Camarthen a few years ago, or this. of course CCFC did not cover themselves in glory against FC Haka a few years ago either.

I still think Longford. They were still winning the tie at half-time at 1-1 and then lost 5-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

I think Bohs will be down in the Graveyard next season...

I still think Longford. They were still winning the tie at half-time at 1-1 and then lost 5-1.
    Maybe if Longford were twice league champions, halfway through their season and shelling out twenty grand a week on wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

mike65 wrote: »

I think Pat Fenlon himself said the excuse of the plastic pitch was bollocks. Although there were questions raised over whether the venue itself was suitable for a CL match in terms of the seating set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

gimmick wrote: »

One of those sides doesn't exist any more, so a coin toss should be all that's required really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Although there were questions raised over whether the venue itself was suitable for a CL match in terms of the seating set up.

Which in itself is no way relevant to the result.

1 day later and theres still only one song that comes to mind when I think of this match.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

disappointing result, will set the LOI european challenge back a bit if results dont go our way in the remaining 3 games.

really feel sorry for bohs and their fans, this is a game they should be winning, must have just had a total off night.

hopefully one of the other teams can pull off a result, Fingal have a huge chance.

don't let it get you down, we'll be back next season* restoring the coefficient and the league's rep in europe :D. . .might end up with a relegation scare again tho

*counting chickens

theteal wrote: »
    don't let it get you down, we'll be back next season* restoring the coefficient and the league's rep in europe :D. . .might end up with a relegation scare again tho

*counting chickens

There is definitely the making of another smug, small-time banner in there somewhere.

• Advertisement

Total No Show

The New Shels - my favourite:)

They'd No Spine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Does this mean Bohemians are about to go the way of Shelbourne, Cork City, and Derry City ? Am I right in hearing that Bohs were hedging their bets on Champions League & NL Prizemoney to sustain themselves ? Now that one source is gone, and the other appears to be going, are Bohs fecked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Het-Field wrote: »
    Does this mean Bohemians are about to go the way of Shelbourne, Cork City, and Derry City ? Am I right in hearing that Bohs were hedging their bets on Champions League & NL Prizemoney to sustain themselves ? Now that one source is gone, and the other appears to be going, are Bohs fecked ?

Not to mention Rovers.

The media are bigging it up big time, Bohs are ok for this season, they just really needed the money from the CL so they can start to pay back the loan to Zurich.

The club would never have been allowed to budget for progression in the CL, just like they were not allowed to budget for 3rd in the league. The only thing I can see happening here is attendances dropping off big time, all the band wagoners and part-time fans will no doubt **** off after this.

Certainly this will harm the club financially in the long term, and it may go the way of Rovers and Shels, but not in the short term.

If the club can't repay the loan the car park across from the Jodi stand will be re-possessed, which will also put a dent in the income.

It certainly looks like the option of full-time football next season is fading away.

frantic190 wrote: »
    It certainly looks like the option of full-time football next season is fading away.

Taken the club long enough to wake up to that pearl of wisdom hasn't it?

And even them it will have been forced upon you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The New Shels - my favourite:)

Hmm where did you see that one ;)

Maldron showing the game tonight for any hoopers.

Cmon lads believe!!!! i know its one 1-1 from the 1st leg but you have the away goal now finish the tie

• Advertisement
Advertisement