Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC V TNS - Champions League KO 7.45

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cmon lads believe!!!! i know its one 1-1 from the 1st leg but you have the away goal now finish the tie

We f*cked it up. Good luck to you guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not saying we can't pull it off, but I can't see it.

Sick with excitement nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I must admit that I was very surprised with the result. It was a very bad loss.

Irish teams need to do well, to bring up the league coefficient.

Hopefully Bohs will recover and be stronger in Europe next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The whole idea of the LoI being a full-time professional league just isn't working out. It's not bringing in the crowds or the kind of TV money that you need to justify full time status. And this result for Bohs doesn't exactly help the counter argument much. How could they lose 0-4 to TNS???? It's a shameful result and the few Bohs players who are let go probably deserve their fate, as you can't seriously call yourself a professional footballer if that's the best you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

aidan24326 wrote: »
    How could they lose 0-4 to TNS???? It's a shameful result and the few Bohs players who are let go probably deserve their fate, as you can't seriously call yourself a professional footballer if that's the best you can do.
    Well that's kind of the point, isn't it? It's clearly not the best they can do, hence the widespread mixture of anger and embarrassment.

Brian Shelley's take on the game:
    “It was the most disappointing night I’ve ever had in my career and I’ve been relegated once or twice,” said Shelley.

“It was gut wrenching to walk in after being beaten by four goals. I think too many took it for granted.

“From the start they out-muscled us and bullied. But they haven’t started their season yet and we’re mid flow – there are no excuses.

“Over the last couple of years Irish clubs have made progress, but this is a kick in the teeth for the whole league.

“Any player sitting in that dressingroom before the game who thought we didn’t have to win this game for financial reasons was fooling themselves.

“We all knew going into the game that we needed it – to what extent I don’t really know. But we know financially that it’s going to have a big impact on us, for the rest of the season and the seasons ahead.”

“We will probably never get another chance like that again,” admitted 28-year-old Shelley. “It was the first time in a long time that a League of Ireland team goes away from home and are the favourites to go through. Maybe that’s where the problem was.

“We’ve just let Pat and the staff down big time. It was hard as you are trying not to notice them (the fans) but I was getting it in the ear by numerous fans. It was like a home game with all the fans who went out of their way to come and support us. We let them down.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0722/1224275196054.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

djpbarry wrote: »
    Well that's kind of the point, isn't it? It's clearly not the best they can do, hence the widespread mixture of anger and embarrassment.

Anger, embarrassment, shock, massive fall-out of the dream of progression for the fans. All the work last season was to get us queued up for Champions league football this season. We got a favourable draw. We won over here an we went into the second leg as favourites. Then it all dramatically fell apart. They made a total show of themselves, judging by the commentary on BBC radio and the returning fans. Disgraceful. Something is wrong deep within the team. The long term fans, members and season ticket holders who go up there week on week, the back room staff, the office staff, the volunteers who give their free time to fund raising for the club they love, never mind the 600+ fans who took time off work and travelled to Shropshire - everyone is totally gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/bohs-ready-to-revert-to-parttime-2268463.html
    BOHEMIANS could decide within days to abandon full-time football and revert to a part-time status as the implications of Tuesday's disastrous exit from the Champions League hit home.

This summer could be the last in Europe for Bohs for some time. The club are today assessing the damage of that dismal 4-0 defeat to Welsh side TNS and even this morning it was suggested that the playing squad would be made available for transfer.

The Bohs board will meet tonight to count the cost. Bohs boss Pat Fenlon may sit in and the club will then summon their 500 members to a meeting as early as next week to let fans know just how serious the financial plight is.

Defeat to TNS cost Bohs at least €500,000, but the club could have landed up to €1 million, even if they lost to Anderlecht but drew a big side like Liverpool in the Europa League.

Today, there was a body of opinion on the board that full-time football can no longer be sustained without the injection of European cash and unless members are willing to contribute an immediate cash injection in the form of donations or loans, the club could be forced to go part-time.

"We can't afford full-time football and if the board agree on that tonight, we will put that to our members in the next few days. We can't go on like this on our gates and with our income," one Bohs director told the Herald today.

Captain Owen Heary said: "It could be the end of the road for some players at Bohs and I think the players don't realise that."

Bohs boss Fenlon has already admitted that Bohs need to decide what direction to take now.

- Aidan Fitzmaurice

Advertisement