Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras at the Academy?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Attending a gig in the Academy in Dublin in a couple of weeks time and wondering how they are when it comes to photography?

I have a Digital SLR and won't be using flash, do they allow the use of cameras at the venue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

R0C wrote: »
    Attending a gig in the Academy in Dublin in a couple of weeks time and wondering how they are when it comes to photography?

I have a Digital SLR and won't be using flash, do they allow the use of cameras at the venue?

SLR's or any other professional cameras are not allowed in any venue. Some people have success in sneaking them in but if you are caught they usually ask for the battery which you are not guaranteed to get back.

On a side note, can we get a sticky for "Camera's at gigs in Ireland"?

Also if you would like to take proper photos at a gig get in contact with the band's PR company or the promotor.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

I'm not looking to take professional or sell-worthy photos, I just happen to own a DSLR and want to take a couple of photos without flash at the gig, purely for my own viewing pleasure.

I have encountered problems in other venues in the past in Dublin, personally I've never had a problem anywhere else in Ireland, but I've also had a blind eye turned to the camera while I've been front row (right beside security) in the Point and Ambassador on a couple of occasions, but I wondered if anyone has first hand experience of taking a DSLR into the Academy.

I'm not looking to take professional or sell-worthy photos, I just happen to own a DSLR and want to take a couple of photos without flash at the gig, purely for my own viewing pleasure.

I have encountered problems in other venues in the past in Dublin, personally I've never had a problem anywhere else in Ireland, but I've also had a blind eye turned to the camera while I've been front row (right beside security) in the Point and Ambassador on a couple of occasions, but I wondered if anyone has first hand experience of taking a DSLR into the Academy.

Sorry, I'm not saying you will be taking professional photos but nowadays any SLR or DSLR is considered a professional camera. They don't care about your intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

was told at the Point that i wasnt allowed to take photos and the security would take the camera off me if they saw me.

Said something about a '3meg limit'...lol like they would be able to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

as Dermo said a Sticky for this would be good.......cropping up more and more....

again as Dermo said SLR and DSLR's are considered to be profesional cameras and therefore aren't allowed, irrelevant of wether or not you've gotten in before with them, or if the situation hasn't been the same around the country - the point is they don't have to let you in with one (well not with one that still has the capacity to take photos, so removing the battery etc.......) and I really can't understand why people think they should be allowed.......

I'm sure ROC that you don't want to take pro photos to sell or whatever, but were that to be a valid excuse all the people that would want to do so could also just say it going in the door......
    personally I got a cheap camera with decent zoom for gig photos - and it's done me fine, I'd never think of bringing a DSLR to a gig purely from the point of view that it could get damaged or confiscated, and you can never be sure that you'll get back an item that has been placed somewhere while the gig is on........that's just my personal opinion....but the general rule of thumb from what I've seen around Europe is that anything with a detachable lense is considered a professional camera and isn't allowed, so for some events I've been to Bridge cameras are fine, but detachable lenses no......
    over here, things are different and only in recent years with the explosion of slightly better cameras on phones standard compact digital cameras seem to be fine now........
    I remember being in the Ambassador a few years back and they stopped a mate of mine coming in with a camera, they were specifically searching for cameras and refusing entry.........so bring what you want but people shouldn't complain if they don't get in with something or are asked to incapacitate the camera.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Dermo wrote: »
    On a side note, can we get a sticky for "Camera's at gigs in Ireland"?

You can combine it with a "is venue x strict on id?" sticky too and have the same answer: "maybe". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

was told at the Point that i wasnt allowed to take photos and the security would take the camera off me if they saw me.

Said something about a '3meg limit'...lol like they would be able to tell.

3 megapixel?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BTW The Academy has a thing going where they use their own photographer to take flicks then get all their customers to tag themselves on their FB with the chance to win prizes AFAIK. Great publicity idea.

TBH, if you're not picky you can get decent flicks on a 5 or 8M phone. You wont have the zoom but beggars cant be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I've brought my DSLR into the Academy about 6 or 7 times in the last 2 years and have never been stopped or asked about it. Have a very obvious camera bag around me and have taken pics right up at the stage barrier in front of the bouncer's faces. I only have had the stock lens and a 50mm lens which are both small so perhaps they didn't think it was "proper" professional (?).

What people said is true, you're technically not allowed to bring a DSLR in, but that's my experience if you want to take the chance.

Also, I wouldn't say that's the rule in general for every gig in Ireland. I imagine it's only for MCD / Aiken gigs.

• Advertisement

Jim wrote: »
    I've brought my DSLR into the Academy about 6 or 7 times in the last 2 years and have never been stopped or asked about it. Have a very obvious camera bag around me and have taken pics right up at the stage barrier in front of the bouncer's faces. I only have had the stock lens and a 50mm lens which are both small so perhaps they didn't think it was "proper" professional (?).

What people said is true, you're technically not allowed to bring a DSLR in, but that's my experience if you want to take the chance.

Also, I wouldn't say that's the rule in general for every gig in Ireland. I imagine it's only for MCD / Aiken gigs.

Thanks for the info Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Thanks for the info Jim.
    It's also worth saying that the gigs I was at weren't amazingly high profile or anything, but a few were sell outs. I'm kinda paranoid now you'll bring your cam to the venue based on my experience and not be allowed in with it.

I can't take the guilt! :pac:

Jim wrote: »
    It's also worth saying that the gigs I was at weren't amazingly high profile or anything, but a few were sell outs. I'm kinda paranoid now you'll bring your cam to the venue based on my experience and not be allowed in with it.

I can't take the guilt! :pac:

No worries at all Jim, I won't hold you liable! If I can't bring it in then that's fair enough.

It's not in any way high profile, and won't be selling out.

I've now made contact with the band's manager to see what they think on it, just in case, but I was seeking a reply here from someone who's actually been to the venue and their first hand experience. I know what the MCD/Aiken rules say, but sometimes these things can be enforced at different levels when you actually go there.

And this is certainly not a nationwide thing, I personally have never had a problem in other parts of the country, even when taking in a video camera and filming large parts of gigs for youtube. In two cases the venues actually contacted me to use my footage on their website afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

No worries at all Jim, I won't hold you liable! If I can't bring it in then that's fair enough.

It's not in any way high profile, and won't be selling out.

I've now made contact with the band's manager to see what they think on it, just in case, but I was seeking a reply here from someone who's actually been to the venue and their first hand experience. I know what the MCD/Aiken rules say, but sometimes these things can be enforced at different levels when you actually go there.

And this is certainly not a nationwide thing, I personally have never had a problem in other parts of the country, even when taking in a video camera and filming large parts of gigs for youtube. In two cases the venues actually contacted me to use my footage on their website afterwards. :)

generally there's never issues with smaller profile gigs anyway.........but it's also worth trying to do what you have with regards contacting the bands management - I have been to a couple of gigs where there are absolutely no cameras allowed, with the threat of being ejected from the gig if caught taking photos.......so it is worth keeping in mind that the wishes of the act is a possibility too.... (and one was a small venue gig....)

I always worry about this stuff more when I head over to the UK - definitely don't want to head all the way over and have hassle getting in.......there was a recent post either here or in the Rock/Metal board from someone that was refused entry to the O2 London with a DSLR is my memory serves me, they were allowed to store the camera in a room like a cloak room - and it was basically just put in a drawer for them to collect later - they got it alright, but I'm sure with equipment that expensive you don't want to be in that situation........

Advertisement