Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Anyone Identify These?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

Found these flies lying around at home. I'd be grateful if you could tell me if there wet or dry flies and if possible name them? Thanks, can't wait to try em' out. That is if there good! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

4 more haha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Looks like fly tying early days ....

1 Olive greendrake (mayfly) flashy experimental type dressing
    2 indistinct photo ... some kind of Invicta, a sedge emerging imitation
    3 Daddy long legs or crane fly, dry, dark version
    4 Golden Olive nymph, more a sedge pupa imitation, than an olive imitation
    5 Crane fly/daddy - brown variation
    6 Duck fly, the black buzzer, a chironomid, dry version
    7 Dry iron blue dun, experimental type dressing, usually the red is at the rear end and smaller in proportion to the white area
    8 Claret bumble, a bob fly, it's overdressed and will work better if 1/3rd of the blue stuff is stripped off, leaving just a thin veil of blue over the claret
    9 some sort of beadhead dry fly with legs, not quite sure why a dry fly is weighted, but will bottom crawl if used that way and represent general buggy things

Holy crap you know your stuff, are they any good? If so which are the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Holy crap you know your stuff, are they any good? If so which are the best?

i think no 2 was an attempt at a golden olive bumble....some of them are not great to be honest....might do for stockies

That's a shame really.

• Advertisement

With flies under the surface, more than 50% of success is the way/speed it moves.
    Most of the rest is silhouette outline, long & skinny or short and fat, overall size.

A trout sees one item with weeds behind (movement/flash making it stand out from a camo background), the next with the sky behind (outline only), the next sideways on (big hook bend hanging down out of it) , and the next from behind (a dot swimming away as fast as it can), the next in the surface emerging (adult fly with a nymph shell attached to it making it look like two).
    Do you think they swim around everything for a close inspection?
    If it moves like a sedge, is kinda fat, and sedges are around ... it's a gonner.
    If it's a slightly wrong colour, well, maybe there is a beam of sunshine on it lighting it up, it's a gonner.

There is not a fly there that won't catch fish. Closer imitations work when stopped, but when moving, it is general impression that counts, and not seeing the angler.
    All you have to do is look at the real ones and watch them swim, then make your one move that way.

coolwings wrote: »
    Do you think they swim around everything for a close inspection?

yes....sometimes not always, larger fish will pause for a second or two to 'look' at the fly, particularly larger wild trout approaching a dry fly on the surface...i am sure they will do the same for sunk wets just we cant really see it? can we?...we have all rose fish that don't actually take, we see the boil/splash but not a firm take, so why? Answer they see something not natural to them, be it the leader, a poorly tied fly, or the angler. assuming if the fish rose in the first place they are interested so then the speed/method of retrieve was correct and assuming you use good quality line then 80% of the time it is the fly itself the WILD fish refuse. do you chaps not think?

This is what is really making it hard to learn how to fly fish. There are so many things that can go wrong and you don't even realise it. Sure it might be more effective than spinning or worm fishing but only if your feckin good at it, and have the right tackle. In all fairness, how the F**K am I supposed to know if flies are good or not when I go to a tackle shop. I think I might give up on fly fishing.

This is what is really making it hard to learn how to fly fish. There are so many things that can go wrong and you don't even realise it. Sure it might be more effective than spinning or worm fishing but only if your feckin good at it, and have the right tackle. In all fairness, how the F**K am I supposed to know if flies are good or not when I go to a tackle shop. I think I might give up on fly fishing.

ah no its not all that bad...knowledge comes with experience....you just need to do it step by step...it is better to concentrate on finding fish that are feeding rather than worrying too much about flies....we have traditional fly patterns for a reason - because they work - stick to what is tried and tested and don't get too bogged down in technical detail - there is nothing secretive or elusive about fishing.....just enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

When I started out fly fishing about 10 years ago I fished on a small lake in the west. I was told to use black flies around size 12 with a bit of flash or colour. So I got Bibios, Black Pennels and some Kate McClarens and i caught plenty of fish. Now this might not apply to every lake in Ireland but it was a good base to start from. Once your able to recognise what flies are hatching than you can match the flies. Until then keep us general patterns that look like anything but nothing specific. As the others have said its about experience which takes time, keep at it.:D

• Advertisement

I suppose I might keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

i think no 2 was an attempt at a golden olive bumble

ye thaught the same to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

talk to other anglers on the river/lake ,not the shop .those that fish it will share their knowledge ,also when it does go right you'll remember it.
    where are you fishing ? someone reading these may fish there too and be able to help.

Laura Lake Co.Leitrim

Make a point of being there at evening, and when wind ruffles the surface.
    The trout will tell you what they like, and they will be less fussy about it at those times. :)

coolwings wrote: »
    The trout will tell you what they like, and they will be less fussy about it at those times. :)
    "Hello Trout, May I take your order".
    "Yes I will have a size 14 green drake and a size 18 Adams Wulff for desert.
    "Very Well"
    :D;)
    Thanks I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Don't.give up.Use a bibio,hares ear,invicta,fiery brown,black pennel and maybe a watsons fancy.Try them in 14's and 12's.These flies will catch trout on any lake.Persevere and don't be disheartened.Also,get some dry caddis imitations ie.elk hair caddis and drag it across the water in short intermittent pulls.You will catch fish.(fish these mostly in the evening).Keep at it and best of luck.

rtc wrote: »
    Don't.give up.Use a bibio,hares ear,invicta,fiery brown,black pennel and maybe a watsons fancy.Try them in 14's and 12's.These flies will catch trout on any lake.Persevere and don't be disheartened.Also,get some dry caddis imitations ie.elk hair caddis and drag it across the water in short intermittent pulls.You will catch fish.(fish these mostly in the evening).Keep at it and best of luck.

well said.........i would add the green peter to that list...

Grand, I'll go to the shop some day and pick them up.
    All the help is appreciated lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Grand, I'll go to the shop some day and pick them up.
    All the help is appreciated lads :D
    No Problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement