Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email response from EA following Daft.ie enquiry..

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Now maybe I'm being overly sensative, but I want to see what the general consensus on this response is i.e. is it normal?!

My wife had sent a daft.ie enquiry - 'Hi, Can we organise to view this property? Thanks.'

They came back with:
    MOVEHOME.IE ... THE LOW-FEE ESTATE AGENT appreciates your recent email and
    your enquiry about this wonderful property. The MOVEHOME.IE team would be
    delighted to show you this great opportunity over the next few days, because
    we showed it this afternoon, so have a look at your busy time schedule and
    let us know what times are most suitable for you. Also we would appreciate
    proof of your mortgage offer or the contact details of your Broker / Bank to
    insure that this property is within your budget.

The MOVEHOME.IE team look forward to meeting you soon,

If I were the owner of the house in question I'd be so disappointed with my EA right now.

Is it normal for you to have proof of mortgage approval prior to viewing a house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

If they see your mortgage approval letter, would they know how high you might be willing to go? which would be bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

connundrum wrote: »
    Is it normal for you to have proof of mortgage approval prior to viewing a house?

It's a bit weird, alright. Myself and Mrs. Wibbler have viewed a number of houses recently and it has not come up (I'd expect it to come up at offer stage). However, in all cases we phoned the EA to arrange the viewing rather than using email. Perhaps they view emailed queries with suspicion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

there was a piece on newstalk yesterday talking about something going on at the moment called 'gazundering'. people make verbal offers, and then when the seller is all set to sell, the person who makes the offer comes back and says they can't get the amount they offered, and will the seller accept a lower amount. the guy talking about it said the only way to combat it was to get your EA to make sure the prospective buyer has the means to buy the property. i know this means the buyer is sorta showing their hand, but you can can always get approval for only the amount you want to spend...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

That's a horrible spammy return email to send all enquiries.

Unless this is some mansion priced at €100 million where they don't want a load of timewasters coming in to just see the pretty house then they should be allowing anyone and everyone who has an interest to come view it.

Give them a ring to arrange a viewing, you might get a different feel of them when speaking to an actual person.

That sort of rubbish would turn me off dealing with such a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I was guessing that the EA would've had a shedload of tyrekickers and is probably sick of it, hence the 'only serious buyers need apply' attitude.

Still, I kind of found the response a bit condescending and rude, not to mention poorly written in the first place. We will try to circumnavigate the EA at this stage, as we would still like to view the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I was guessing that the EA would've had a shedload of tyrekickers and is probably sick of it, hence the 'only serious buyers need apply' attitude.

There is serial people who look at property even if they have no intention of buying or maybe they have but in a couple of years, I'm sure the homeowners would prefer someone who can pay for the house looking at their house and this is certainly one way of weeding them out.

That email response looked very much like spam though and not worded right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

tell the EA he can swing for his proof of mortgage approval.

amazing how phantom bidders will appear bring the price up to your max bid.

Weather you actually have an intention of bidding or not shouldnt make any difference. Could you imagine a shop asking to see your wallet before letting you in incase you were just window shopping ?

Heres your email reply

Dear movehome.ie

Thank you for your poorly constructed reply. In relation to your request for my broker details, and or proof of my mortgage approval, I wish to inform you that I won't be providing this.

You might eventually get some mug to show you what they are approved for so that you can create phantom bidders to push up the price safe in the knowledge of what their limit is, but I'm not going to be part of your underhand decietful way of doing business

P.S its ensure not insure. Perhaps you can use your commision from this sale (if you ever manage it) to take up some professional writing training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

D3PO wrote: »

Weather you actually have an intention of bidding or not shouldnt make any difference. Could you imagine a shop asking to see your wallet before letting you in incase you were just window shopping ?

Heres your email reply

Dear movehome.ie

Thank you for your poorly constructed reply. In relation to your request for my broker details, and or proof of my mortgage approval, I wish to inform you that I won't be providing this.

You might eventually get some mug to show you what they are approved for so that you can create phantom bidders to push up the price safe in the knowledge of what their limit is, but I'm not going to be part of your underhand decietful way of doing business

P.S its ensure not insure. Perhaps you can use your commision from this sale (if you ever manage it) to take up some professional writing training.

I actually just copied and pasted that into an email, and then wrote another letter of complaint to another company about poor customer service.

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 facksake

Heres your email reply

Dear movehome.ie

It's whether not weather

It's in case, not incase

It's deceitful not decietful

Maybe ye could take that professional writing training together??:D

facksake wrote: »
    It's whether not weather

It's in case, not incase

yeah i dont have spell checker on boards though :p email does ;)

good to see the grammar police are out in force though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

It's whether not weather

It's in case, not incase

Meh, its some guy (no offence) giving a bit of advice on an internet forum, not an estate agent's reply hoping to sell a home and earn a commission on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 facksake

Stee wrote: »
    Meh, its some guy (no offence) giving a bit of advice on an internet forum, not an estate agent's reply hoping to sell a home and earn a commission on it

Ya I know I totally agree. I just couldn't help myself!!

Ya I know I totally agree. I just couldn't help myself!!

how dare you be so giddy. You would swear its Friday or something :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Copy your approval letter,remove,cut out the first 3 figures using a knife , so ea knows you got
    xxx000 approval,could be 100k,150k if YOU really want to view this house.
    put in a note say my broker says,its not good practise to give out my max mortgage approval.
    its a buyers market,look at other houses for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Heres your email reply

Dear movehome.ie

Haha, spot on.

That is an absolutely outrageous reply to get. My God, the lack of professionalism is just jaw-dropping. Your "busy schedule"??? Man, wtf? I would email them back and tell them you simply will not do business with such a juvenile and patronising counterparty. Tell them if they wish to proceed to call you or to send a personalised email. I would also endeavour to contact the seller directly to let them know what is being emailed on their behalf. Whatever happens, I would not show mortgage approval either. No way, no how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Bugger. My partner is using this EA to sell their house! Might send them a link to this thread!

As a matter of interest, Movehome.ie charge a fixed fee so pushing up the price doesn't make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh yes, movehome.ie.

I saw their bumpf on a signpost a couple of years ago when I was trying to sell my late Mum's house in Dublin as I thought the prospect of a fixed-fee EA was a pretty good idea.

Opps...turned out you get what you pay for after all. After several calls to their Santry office, the receptionist said that the 'main man' was out of the office and would return my calls.

He never did and the business (and commission) went to GWD Swords (Vinny Mullen - one of the best around - myself and a few mates have used him to sell).

movehome.ie - great idea, p*ss poor execution.

To add insult to injury, the ribbon on their Santry office was cut by Bertie Ahern.

To be fair to them, they have been pretty on the ball with regards to setting up viewings. She's had 3 offers already and it's only on the market for 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

marathont wrote: »
    If they see your mortgage approval letter, would they know how high you might be willing to go?

A bit surprised it has not being mentioned already but it is also the case that people do not always take out mortgages to buy houses. What happens in such cases, are you asked to provide bank statements I wonder?

Going a wee bit off topic but I have found that Estate Agents don't tend to like using emails. On the one hand I can see that email is not always a fantastic way to communicate, particulary when discussing something as big a transaction as a house sale. On the other hand I don't see why email is not adequate to arrange a viewing and perhaps if Estate Agents don't particularly intend to use email perhaps they should not provide email addresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Does anyone here realise that a mortgage approval letter is only that, a letter of approval ? , no figures have to be on it just your bank saying that a mortgage has been granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

In fairness while that is a pretty cra*py email response to recieve, there is method to the madness. Trying looking at it from a sellers prospective loads and loads of viewings and getting nowhere. Sellers tend to get annoyed and vent towards the EA, at least this way they know you are actually in the market to buy. I've met serial viewers before and its a big waste of everyones time, it happens wwith rentals aswell as sales.

Waste of the EA's time, and the sellers, and if you dont have approval its very very unlikly you'll be buying that house. I've even met people who try to put on offers without approval... I mean seriously, its particularly unfair on the seller. And never looks good for a house to repeatly go 'sale agreed' to 'for sale' again.

There is a happy medium tho, easier to let them view the house and suss them out face to face at that stage.

Doop wrote: »
    In fairness while that is a pretty cra*py email response to recieve, there is method to the madness. Trying looking at it from a sellers prospective loads and loads of viewings and getting nowhere. Sellers tend to get annoyed and vent towards the EA, at least this way they know you are actually in the market to buy. I've met serial viewers before and its a big waste of everyones time, it happens wwith rentals aswell as sales.

Waste of the EA's time, and the sellers, and if you dont have approval its very very unlikly you'll be buying that house. I've even met people who try to put on offers without approval... I mean seriously, its particularly unfair on the seller. And never looks good for a house to repeatly go 'sale agreed' to 'for sale' again.

There is a happy medium tho, easier to let them view the house and suss them out face to face at that stage.

nobody said selling a hosue should be easy or striaght forward. so what if its frustrating ?

Im sure car sales persons are frustrated when people come in to take a car for a test drive with no intention of buying aswell but thats jsut part of sales.

If selling a hosue was easy and no hassle why would there be a need for EA's ?

besides which the email says we want to see the letter so we can make sure you can afford to buy this house. Apart from that being patronising to the nth degree it also indicates they want to know exactly what you can afford.

its none of their Fing business. You have to take them on good faith and they you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

deadduck wrote: »
    there was a piece on newstalk yesterday talking about something going on at the moment called 'gazundering'. people make verbal offers, and then when the seller is all set to sell, the person who makes the offer comes back and says they can't get the amount they offered, and will the seller accept a lower amount. the guy talking about it said the only way to combat it was to get your EA to make sure the prospective buyer has the means to buy the property. i know this means the buyer is sorta showing their hand, but you can can always get approval for only the amount you want to spend...

Someone should have told that EA that it's a buyers market and remind him how many EAs were quiet happy to engage in gazumping during the bubble when many developers/builders pulled the opposite sh**.

"sorta showing your hand"
    What a load of cr**.
    Would you think that one side goes into a contract negotiation outlining how much exactly they are capable of spending ?

OP tell the EA to go forget it and that there are plenty more houses around.

Do some EAs and sellers not get the fact that the glory days of them calling the shots are long gone ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Doop wrote: »

[IMG]http://ken_ashford.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515b2069e201053605c23c970c-800wi[/IMG]

Tyre kickers are a fact of life, no matter what you're selling. EAs and Sellers can just build a bridge and get the f**k over it.

Advertisement