Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800 Hotels??

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, not certain if this is the right place for this or not (apologies if i'm wrong)

Anyways, my parents went to Spain yesterday. They're going to be staying in 2 different hotels while there, both of which they booked on 1800hotels.ie

When they arrived at the hotel yesterday they were told their booking was there, but not paid for. My parents paid 1800hotels, but for some reason the money was never transferred to the hotel.
    My parents have rung 1800hotels, I did too, and there is no answer, ends up going to voicemail. They (and I) have left voicemails, no call back though.

My parents have now had to pay for the hotel themselves for the first 2 nights, and they're worried that something might be up with 1800 hotels. I've had a quick look about the interwebs, can't find anything stating there may be a problem.

Anyone heard anything like this before? Or know anything about what might be going on with 1800 hotels??

Any & all help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

It looks like they have closed up - more in this thread in the Travel & Holidays forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66879110

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From what I'm hearing on Twitter - it sounds as if they have gone bust.

If your parents paid by credit card, they should be able to get their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

1800 hotels was sold a few years back im not sure if its still Irish owned anymore. Looks to be gone bust i would get onto the credit card company straight away and also ring the other hotel to confirm reservation.

I always ring the hotel a few days before i travel just to confirm a reservation in case something like this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Blogschief

Bad news for the people that work there. I always book with travel agent as they are bonded and your money is protected. Prices are no different and even better sometimes because they are searching several suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

On joe Duffy now !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sp_en_ny

Hi,

They have gone, i work in the industry for one of their suppliers. We have cancelled all their bookings and they cannot pay us for previous bookings. I gather all the staff in Ireland were sent home today as well. I think they are working on a rescue package but its unlikely. Call your credit card companies and get your refunds now.

Otherwise you will be arriving at your hotels with no reservation and have to pay direct at a much higher rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jonesy7

sp_en_ny wrote: »
    Hi,

They have gone, i work in the industry for one of their suppliers. We have cancelled all their bookings and they cannot pay us for previous bookings. I gather all the staff in Ireland were sent home today as well. I think they are working on a rescue package but its unlikely. Call your credit card companies and get your refunds now.

Otherwise you will be arriving at your hotels with no reservation and have to pay direct at a much higher rate.

I am in the same predicament. I used my moms laser card to book acc in portugal and my reference says payable through TRANSFAR AGENCIA DE VIAGENS E TURISMO VAT:PT501594175 but there is no sign of this on the internet. Do you know anything about this supplier or what should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Jonesy7 wrote: »
    I am in the same predicament. I used my moms laser card to book acc in portugal and my reference says payable through TRANSFAR AGENCIA DE VIAGENS E TURISMO VAT:PT501594175 but there is no sign of this on the internet. Do you know anything about this supplier or what should I do?

Maybe this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I used my moms laser card

Laser has no protection, so if you can't get the money back from the booking agent, you probably won't get anything at all.

I rang hotel in portugal he knew my name before i told him and our bookin had been cancelled yesterday he knew nothing about refund and nobody at home in 1800hotels!this is lousy!!

• Advertisement

that is just fantastic!!!

I rang hotel in portugal he knew my name before i told him and our bookin had been cancelled yesterday he knew nothing about refund and nobody at home in 1800hotels!this is lousy!!

That is lousy. Sorry mate.

I was wondering if 1800hotels were licenced and bonded agents, in which case you'd be protected, but according to this news report, they are not;
    CEO of the Irish Travel Agents Association Simon Nugent says websites like this are unregulated which leaves customers very exposed.

"One of the strange things about our legislation protecting consumers in travel is that it was written in 1982 before the internet was invented and it hasn't been updated since" he said.

"The result of that is that people who book with a company like 1800hotels aren't protected - there's no bond in place or anything like that".

"They may have a chance to get money back from their credit card company if they paid by credit card; if they paid by debit card though, I'm afraid they better look towards whatever travel insurance they may have" he added.

If paying by Laser, I hope you had adequate travel insurance. Otherwise, the money is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I was wondering if 1800hotels were licenced and bonded agents, in which case you'd be protected, but according to this news report, they are not;

My missus was saying that because they are not bonded there might be difficulty in even getting a CC charge back.

Is this true?

I rang my bank and she said we,d get the money back so im going in there now and hopefully they can do something. She said when a company goes bust there is a way to get the cash back so im hoping she knows what she is talking about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The hotel has nothing whatsoever to do with the booking or refund. - So try not to get annoyed with them.

If you booked by credit card, you will be refunded, though it may take a few weeks.

If flights are booked, then simply pay the hotel directly and enjoy the holiday and let the refund process take its course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Newbee09

Jonsey7, did you have any luck finding TRANSFAR AGENCIA DE VIAGENS E TURISMO? I have my parents booked in hotel for August. The hotel have told me the reservation is still in place however payment is usually paid to them through the agency when the guest departs? They said to check in with them in a few days when they know more about the situation? Should i just get in touch with cc company and try for a refund!?

The way many web hotel agencies work is that they buy rooms from consolidators who buy from the hotels.

My guess is TRANSFAR AGENCIA DE VIAGENS E TURISMO is a consolidator who supplied 1800 hotels. 1800 hotels haven't paid these guys and they have cancelled all the bookings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Newbee09

but the hotel have told me that my reservation has not been cancelled? they have cancelled some agencies reservations but not mine? Could this mean that it might have been sorted before all this trouble started up or am i just being overly optimistic?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

jor el wrote: »

If paying by Laser, I hope you had adequate travel insurance. Otherwise, the money is gone.

Even if they were bonded you would not be covered by the bond for hotel only bookings. The bond only covers "package" holidays e.g. (flight and hotel) bookings.

• Advertisement

Newbee09 wrote: »
    but the hotel have told me that my reservation has not been cancelled? they have cancelled some agencies reservations but not mine? Could this mean that it might have been sorted before all this trouble started up or am i just being overly optimistic?! :)

Seems 1800 used a few different consolidators but had hassle with 2 of them.

Best option is to be prepared to pay when you arrive and reclaim original amount from credit card just in case anything has happened.

Above all don't let it ruin a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Reminds me of the hassle I had last year with Roomsnet.com, although eventually they did refund us the entire amount which was outstanding.

Unlucky to all involved.

Lessons:

1) Always book by CC

2) Take out adequate travel insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Andreafar

I have query regarding 1800 hotels. My dad has voucher for 1800 hotels dating back to volcanic ash earlier this year. He had booked a hotel in Lanzarote but was unable to travel. He requested a refund but only received a voucher for the amount he had paid. What is the situation now? How can he get his money back now that the company seems to have have gone bust. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :confused:

Andreafar wrote: »
    I have query regarding 1800 hotels. My dad has voucher for 1800 hotels dating back to volcanic ash earlier this year. He had booked a hotel in Lanzarote but was unable to travel. He requested a refund but only received a voucher for the amount he had paid. What is the situation now? How can he get his money back now that the company seems to have have gone bust. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :confused:

Very, very, very unlikely. This is not a time for vouchers, or cash for that matter/ All major purchases should be done with credit card.

That voucher question is a good one. The voucher itself is worthless now, but it might depend on how he paid for the original booking as to whether he can get his money back. Best bet would be ring the bank, assuming he paid with credit or debit card. If payment was made with Laser, then the chances of getting his money back are severely reduced. I think it will depend on what happened to the money, was it paid to a hotel or did it stay with 1800hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Andreafar

Thanks for your reply. The original booking to the value of 500 euro was made using his laser card. The reply email from 1800 hotels at the time stated: Our suppliers have agreed to provide a voucher to the value of €507 so that you may rebook for a future date.
    Not sure if the money ever got to the hotel at the time or stayed with 1800 hotels. I am sure lots of people have vouchers from the volcanic ash episode!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you paid them direct by Laser, tough. If you paid a Bonded Tour Operator/Travel Agent by Laser ( and they themselves booked on 1800) you have a comeback through the Bond scheme so read here if the travel agent is being iffy about it.

If you paid by credit card initiate a "Charge Back" for non receipt of goods or service.

If you have both a Laser and a Credit Card....ALWAYS book travel using the Credit Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doubtfire

I can't believe this is happening, my sisters wedding is in 5 weeks in portugal and one of the bridesmaids accommodation has been cancelled, among others in the wedding party, their rooms have been cancelled and absolutely no word from 1800hotels or their other 3rd parties.

does anyone know any information eg, ph number, mailing adress for that website, it's says on there site "bankruptcy proceddings" this doesn't actually mean declared bankruptcy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

doubtfire wrote: »
    does anyone know any information eg, ph number, mailing adress for that website, it's says on there site "bankruptcy proceddings" this doesn't actually mean declared bankruptcy.

It doesn however mean things are uncertain as hell so it will be very hard to get a solid answer to anything at this time

• Advertisement

From a Tampa Bay news site -
    While the 1800Hotels.com website informs visitors it is “performing system maintenance that will affect hotel availability,” 1800Hotels.ie, serving Irish customers, states the company has been forced into bankruptcy proceedings, which may lead to room cancellations.

1800Hotels4U’s estimated assets are between $1 million and $10 million, while its estimated liabilities are between $100,001 and $500,000, according to the bankruptcy filing.

After filing a petition seeking Chapter 11 protection on Monday, 1800Hotels4U LLC and a related Irish company, Happy Duck Ltd., on Tuesday filed a complaint for injunctive and declaratory relief, suing its wholesalers.

These foreign companies, including Gullivers Travel Associates, Hotelbeds SLU, Youtravel.com SA, Travco LLP, Tourico Holidays Inc., The Mark Travel Corp. dba Mark International and HotelConnect Ltd., provide hotel bookings and confirmations, transfer services, excursion and other services to the plaintiffs, the lawsuit says.

According to the filing, 1800Hotels customers pay the company directly for the travel arrangements, while the company pays its suppliers based on the agreements.

Alleging 1800Hotels.com owes them for bookings, Tourico on July 2 began to cancel customers’ travel arrangements, leaving the customers stranded without hotel rooms at destinations, the lawsuit says. 1800Hotels alleges it then rebooked those customers through GTA but that wholesaler started to cancel bookings July 9.

Up to 3,600 customers could be affected, the lawsuit says.
    Hotelbeds has threatened to cancel bookings to offset amounts due and the other defendants may take action to cancel bookings, according to the court filing

Advertisement