Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Production Course in Dublin...

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any DECENT music production courses in Dublin? I've heard of so many people going these courses and found them to be quite dull, with just the basics being repeated constantly.

I'm an intermediate producer and would like to take it to the next level. There's only so much you can teach yourself. But I haven't found any courses in Dublin that have a great reputation.

Thinking of venturing up north to Sonic Academy. Heard great things about their courses.. But unfortunately they only do two day events, so I'd imagine there's not much you can fit in two days...

Anyone on here have some past experiences, good or bad, with courses in Dublin?

-A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

I too would like some info if anyone has any ideas!

Full time OR part time.

Also, have been recommended online courses from PointBlank etc. Anybody here have any experience with them or someone similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

There's only so much you can teach yourself.

I don't really believe that. I think once you get to a stage where you have a good general knowledge, it's all about learning the details then and lots of practice.

Why don't you get a few books on specific areas and see what you learn? The reason those courses are general and basic is because theres a vast amount of knowledge to learn to create even the simplest of tracks from scratch.

Why don't you ask the forum about things you don't know and you could get better guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I think courses help if someone doesn't have a grounding in an instrument already - where the person hasn't seen a full circle of making a track and playing it out live, but yes, they do go over a lot of basics that you may already know.

If you have time, determination & focus you can probably work out most the basics - ideally making tracks and dealing with problems as you find them - eventually learning the most important skill of how to ask a question about the problem that's in front of you.

There's a lot of lingo to learn, courses would help with understanding that.

Another angle is collaborations, in that way you'd learn and pass on what you know from your experiences in other areas.

Finding a syllabus to follow is a good idea if self teaching - then at least you know you're going to cover all bases and not miss some fundamentals that cripple your development as a musician/producer.

Learning a real instrument is essential if you want to do this seriously - guitar/drums/bass/vocals/keyboards etc... something to give you a grounding in the basics of music - the people that don't do this stand out a mile - and even when they eventually grasp the basics of musical control their music tends to sound generic/flat.

Music is not for slackers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thanks Neurojazz.. Some good advise! I think really my issue is writing melodies, and knowing how to get the sounds I want from synths... I think perhaps maybe piano lessons would be a good idea...

-A

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Theprodigy11

Ive done two of the part time courses in temple bar music centre. Electronic music production and the sound engineering one.

Once you have a basic knowledge of music production you will be ok, but if youuve never produced before you'll be proper lost.

Lectures know their sfuff but sometimes contradict themselves when giving advice about whats the best program etc.

But definately worth it. Its better than sitting at home during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

How much are the part time courses?
    Only thing is that I believe you pay through the nose, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Theprodigy11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 russellcooley

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

http://createsound.ie/

ableton specific courses - intermediate one is prob what yer after

drop Gav a mail he'll let you know all the details

(nb he is a mate, so i be a bit biased !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

http://www.virtustudios.ie/Ableton.php

Cheapest City and Guilds courses in the country. Ableton in groups and 1 to 1.
    There's also discounts on software and equipment for all students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

studiorat wrote: »
    http://www.virtustudios.ie/Ableton.php

Cheapest City and Guilds courses in the country. Ableton in groups and 1 to 1.
    There's also discounts on software and equipment for all students.

Is the skin head lad still there? He's like an older version of Markus Schultz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Learning a real instrument is essential if you want to do this seriously guitar/drums/bass/vocals/keyboards etc...

+ 1 But I suggest a melodious instrument. Speaking as someone with many years drumming experience you're better off with melody and chord theory to easily transfer the riffs in your head into music.

I went out of my way to learn it (still only have the rudiments) but my tracks have improved DRASTICALLY since I did.

Synth programming, while a vital skill for any electronic producer, is only half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bobbuk

I did a beginner production course on reason 5 in the sound training centre (TBMC).
    It was a bit on the expensive side it also seemed there to be some stuff being thought that was a bit unnecessary (in my view).
    But all in all I really enjoyed it, if your clued into what you want or need to get out of the course then you'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

I think you'd be way better off paying a seasoned producer on here to spend time with you working on your tracks over a number of sessions.

Advertisement