Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the tunnel opening?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any idea when the tunnel is opening? I heard the 16th of this month but cannot find anything solid on the offical opening data. NRA site is out of date and local papers recently said towards the end of the month.

Anyone any solid info?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good stuff, looks like this Friday then.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I like the way someone said in other thread no official opening as politicans are on holidays :)

It will be interesting to see if any changes to traffic in limerick. Or are we too poor to pay the toll. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

A price cannot be put on dodging the dock road traffic on a friday. Obviously don;t tell them i said this.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

Does anyone know did the tunnel open this morning?
    I can find nothing about it on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Wasn't open at 9.15 when I passed anyway. I was coming in from the dock road side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Not open this morning, passed it (Condell Road) about half an hour ago and the matrix signs read "tunnel closed". Which is a change from "watch your speed".

Can only guess that this means they're gearing up to open soon, if it is today it'll prob be after lunch time.

Limerick Post ran a small article this week towards the centre of the paper saying it wasn't opening today. No confirmed date as of yet but surely it cannot be much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

Any word on the Limerick to Birdhill section being open I heard they found Subsistence on a section... may take months to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Infrastructure forum says red tape might prevent it from opening today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

dodohert wrote: »
    Any word on the Limerick to Birdhill section being open I heard they found Subsistence on a section... may take months to fix?

Check this thread out dodohert. The lads on here are fairly good with info on the section of road.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055417443&page=119

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Infrastructure forum says red tape might prevent it from opening today...

Have they tried a scissors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Drove back down from galway with the fingers crossed, at cratloe at 2pm and not open. they're still painting lines over there too.
    as fort the birdhill section, apparently the subsistence has slowed and they're just gonna open it, but will require some repairs every ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

zuroph wrote: »
    Drove back down from galway with the fingers crossed, at cratloe at 2pm and not open. they're still painting lines over there too.
    as fort the birdhill section, apparently the subsistence has slowed and they're just gonna open it, but will require some repairs every ten years

I thought the birdhill section wasn't going to open until the end of the year?Have you heard differently?
    I know there's papers and sign offs etc for the tunnel but it seems to be dragging out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Lets start a Facebook page to demand they open it today.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

sleepyman wrote: »
    I thought the birdhill section wasn't going to open until the end of the year?Have you heard differently?
    I know there's papers and sign offs etc for the tunnel but it seems to be dragging out a bit.

second hand info, but they're still repairing a section, but have settled on a course of action. could be end of year i guess before its given the all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm promised that I will receive an invite from the Chairman of the NRA, however as it hasn't arrived yet I doubt it will be the coming week as he's very proper about giving people notice etc. Of course the 3 girls in the office where it would be sent to were on leave yesterday so that may also be affecting the arrival of the invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

The girls being on leave would not have a bearing the arrival of the letter, but it might on the opening of same letter.

lasno wrote: »
    The girls being on leave would not have a bearing the arrival of the letter, but it might on the opening of same letter.
    They'd have to forward it;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

Newstalk hourly newscasts on Sunday had stated that the tunnel will open Friday 23rd, although they did state that it was due to open the previous Friday..held up by paperwork and red tape...

..so nearly there.......

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Newstalk hourly newscasts on Sunday had stated that the tunnel will open Friday 23rd, although they did state that it was due to open the previous Friday..held up by paperwork and red tape...

..so nearly there.......

Passed by on the way to work and there was no workers there, builders holidays I assume. There's still a small bit of work to be done by the radisson so would it be safe to say it'll be over two weeks away yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Roadend wrote: »
    Passed by on the way to work and there was no workers there, builders holidays I assume. There's still a small bit of work to be done by the radisson so would it be safe to say it'll be over two weeks away yet?

I doubt that would hold it up really- mostly cosmetic work they have to do, take away the concrete barriers etc etc

Bit of activity at the Rosbrien Interchange today at around 16:30, they had a cherry picker checking the street lights.

There's still no official date, but likely to be the latter half of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Tuesday 27th according to limerick leader online being opened by brian cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Be funny if this was true after the shyte spouted by the guy in charge about how it ws not being held up waiting for a political figure to be free to open it.

I guess it will be yet another photo op for Cowen to fool the sheep into how he is doing a great job for the country and how this tunnel, despite the fact it would not have been built without a private company investing in the project, is proof of the government doing things for Limerick.

I think I have my cynical hat on today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Kess73 wrote: »
    Be funny if this was true after the shyte spouted by the guy in charge about how it ws not being held up waiting for a political figure to be free to open it.

I guess it will be yet another photo op for Cowen to fool the sheep into how he is doing a great job for the country and how this tunell, despite the fact it would not have been built without a private company investing in the project, is proof of the government doing things for Limerick.

I think I have my cynical hat on today. :)

+1
    You're bang on Kess.

Boloxtions are always around for the good news stories. Where was Cowen when Dell anounced 2000 job losses? Where are they as Shannon Airport goes down the swanny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Might explain the firefighter training that was done - that much hot air and bull**** in a tunnel must be a hazard!

Hope they hose it down afterwards so that it's not polluted by that plonker!

• Advertisement

Would Biffo actually fit through the tunnel?

Advertisement