Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the tunnel opening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    If she's stuck for anymore double-entendres I'll give her one

back on topic boys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Never heard so much excitment about a tunnel opening before :)

Sure when was the last tunnel opened in ireland? Cork?
    Long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

back on topic boys

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phill106 wrote: »
    Sure when was the last tunnel opened in ireland? Cork?
    Long time!

The Dublin Port tunnel was opened in 2006 or 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Dublin Port tunnel was opened in 2006 or 2007.

Ah yes, forgot that one. Wonder do the supertrucks fit in the limerick tunnel?

• Advertisement

Well the opening was about 90 minutes ago.

But will not be open to the public for another 90 mins to two hours from now.

Cowen and Noel Dempsey claimed that by the end of this year, every major town and city in Ireland will have a world class road system between them, that links the entire country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kess73 wrote: »
    Cowen and Noel Dempsey claimed that by the end of this year, every major town and city in Ireland will have a world class road system between them, that links the entire country.

Yes the Limerick - Cork road definitely qualifies as work class :rolleyes: They must really think we're all stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

It's Open!!!!!!!

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

sign is updated to 5pm. passed on cratloe side at 15.45 and was not open, road was being swept and bollards still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

zuroph wrote: »
    sign is updated to 5pm. passed on cratloe side at 15.45 and was not open, road was being swept and bollards still in place.

Eh,its open.I used it there about 15 minutes ago,very impressive!

They gave me one of the leftover commerative books from the open day too (the cheap ****ers) :p

• Advertisement

gutted, if only I'd been stuck in traffic and gotten home later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Passed at Cratloe side at 4pm and still was not open. Two traffic corps jeeps with Lagan guy waiting to stop traffic but definately not open then although I understand RTE announced it open at 2:30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Used the tunnel today, both directions. Southbound via Clonmacken around 4pm and Northbound all the way from Tipperary Road to Shannon around 6pm.

Great piece of infrastructure with huge time savings.

Pity about the cost but better than not having it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

I live not far from the Cement Factory and the Dock road was always a nightmare. I always had to leave loads of extra time if I had to be in Shannon or beyond for a meeting. Today on the way back from Fanore and zipped through :D

Vid Below!!

:cool:

jesus that toll in the video was painful, especially when the jeep stopped for a chat. Parked up for over a minute :mad: why isnt the easy pass lane open anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What's the deal with "COINS ONLY - NO RECEIPTS - NO CHANGE" (visible in the video @ about 2.10)

FFS, €1.80 is already €840 a year if you use it twice daily going to and from work, without trying to scam people even more!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

I didn't go through the tunnel (tomorrow) but did turn up onto the new road from the Dock road and drove out towards the Dublin side.

Very impressed, and amazed that you can drive through Limerick without even noticing it was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just used it there, twice in fact, quite handy I think.

If you use the Clonmacken toll plaza the basket machine does give change. If you use the cashier at either plaza change is naturally given...

Got to see it as a passenger about 30 minutes ago. Was not overly impressed with the finish on the tunnel, but it will be handy for people who need to travel to Galway, Ennis etc on a regular basis.

I have to say that the toll booth experience was a bit of a clown show though.

The Easy tag lane is closed as you drive from the Dooradoyle side outwards, and the four lanes that were open were all operating on you having to stop and hand the change in to the operator rather than a basket system like on the M50.

Basically meant that every car had to come to a complete stop to hand in the money and then wait for the guy (or girl) to lift the barrier.

Then the four lanes come together in an unmarked wide area that becomes two lanes after about about 100 yards. So on a busy day all the lanes would be competing for two lanes with only a very short run up to it.

The "No change and no notes" bit is a bit rich. Talk about an easy way to fleece people.

And it would not be complete without the ape in the silver golf who was not patient enough to wait in one lane, he had to try and reverse out of his lane and then tried to get across to the lane at another booth.:rolleyes:

On the way in from Shannon I could see a lot of people getting caught for the toll in error as people who would not know the road would end up on the by pass easily as the road that continues on towards Limerick would be easy to miss.

Can see it being very good for Dublin/Cork/Kerry etc to Clare/Galway etc commuters as it will knock a nice chunk off of the journey, especially at peak times, but it does make Limerick city very easy to bypass and ignore now, and I have a feeling it may have a negative effect on businesses that would normally have caught a chunk of the passing traffic before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

zuroph wrote: »
    jesus that toll in the video was painful, especially when the jeep stopped for a chat. Parked up for over a minute :mad: why isnt the easy pass lane open anyone know?

He was looking to get back on to the Dock Road!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was posted on here a few months ago that it was priced €1.80 so people would just throw in €2 and not wait for the change. It would all add up if everyone does that, i know i will be.

just get a tag for yourselves. no messing about with change and the barrier gets up quicker for ye, and the fast flow lane will be open soon.

People probably got very confused at the toll plazas today and will for weeks to come because people dont understand the light up signs.

There is no point mentioning there are signs in advance. People do not read signs.

Im just glad I have had a tag years so will avoid the toll lanes however It is not good that the fast pass lanes were closed today.

I didn't get to use the tunnell today. Maybe tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

have they removed the cones and merging traffic lane in Cratloe it was still there at 4.40 got on to the new road toll was a bit congested but was still home in 30 mins. Will try again later in the week to see my uncongested travel time.... bit expensive to do everyday tho.

How much are the tags?
    I wont be using it all that much so wont be buying one anyway. The new roads are of no benefit to me unfortunately.

I have my tag from http://easytrip.ie/

It works on every toll in the country and also you get into Q-Parks without needing a ticket. Like Dunnes Harveys Quay/Howleys Quay(whatever).

No qeueing behind people at machines, no qeueing at Toll Plazas either. :D

I must be going blind. How much are they?

Melion wrote: »
    I must be going blind. How much are they?

Well if you are reffering to Easytrip they cost 0, Zero, Nada, Zilch.

You load your tag with an amount of money(probably €40) and when you get to less than €10 you get another €40 topped back up(automatically) so you never run the risk of getting stuck in a car park or at a Toll Plaza.

You pay a small admin fee per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Berty wrote: »
    Well if you are reffering to Easytrip they cost 0, Zero, Nada, Zilch.

You pay a small admin fee per month.

Then they don't cost "nada, zilch".

Edit : There's also no mention on their website of a monthly charge.

In addition, there's an interesting twist on their "balance"
    Your low balance warning is the credit level you allow your account to reach before an automatic top up occurs. The minimum level is €12.00 per tag.

So basically they permanently have €12 that you can never use ?

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Then they don't cost "nada, zilch".

They cost nada/zilch to purchase. The admin fee of Tag only(no parking) is €1 per month.

Handy if you don't have to worry about carrying money.

EDIT After your edit here is my edit

http://easytrip.ie/?page_id=37#faq19

Advertisement