Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the tunnel opening?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Seems very handy, id probably get one if i needed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

OK, so it costs €1 per month.

That's not bad, tbh. But it's still not "nada".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    OK, so it costs €1 per month.

That's not bad, tbh. But it's still not "nada".

Put it another way so. If you were using the M50 Toll it is cheaper to pay by using a Toll tag than by paying over the phone or in a shop meaning you would save money.

I spend around €20+ in Tolls/Parking on my Tag so it goes a long way for me.

Berty wrote: »
    Put it another way so. If you were using the M50 Toll it is cheaper to pay by using a Toll tag than by paying over the phone or in a shop meaning you would save money.

I spend around €20+ in Tolls/Parking on my Tag so it goes a long way for me.

What are you saying - that they have special treatment for those who use the M50 ?

If so, yeah - it's good for Dubs; kindof irrelevant in a thread about the Limerick Tunnel, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

What he's trying to say is that Tags are cheaper than paying the toll by hand on the M50 - this is because of the costs involved in tracking the non-tag drivers...
    Not a special treatment thing at all - in fact if you have a tag for limerick tunnel you can use it on the M50 and get a much cheaper toll that if you pay later.

Anyways...
    Went through it this morning - heading to Shannon.
    Was pretty good. Knocked 10mins off my time even despite going the long way round to come on via the Rosbrien interchange (wanted the full experience :)).

Overall good, but the Express lane is still closed and tolltag.ie tags still not working.

Hope they sort this out soon... Luckily I had a cash to pay it just in case after reading up here last night - thanks gusy for the heads up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

My tolltag.ie tag didn't work yesterday, but worked perfectly in the cash basket lane heading for shannon this morning. I wonder when the express lanes will be open...

RikD wrote: »
    What he's trying to say is that Tags are cheaper than paying the toll by hand on the M50 - this is because of the costs involved in tracking the non-tag drivers...

Fair point, but my point is that that is only a benefit if you use the M50 regularly, and so isn't much of a benefit to Limerick Tunnel users.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Fair point, but my point is that that is only a benefit if you use the M50 regularly, and so isn't much of a benefit to Limerick Tunnel users.

I use the limerick tunnel, the waterford bridge, the fermoy bypass. the tag is very very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

zuroph wrote: »
    I use the limerick tunnel, the waterford bridge, the fermoy bypass. the tag is very very handy.

Been a fair few years since I drove to Waterford from the Limerick side. Is the main bridge, the one that could open for boats, into Waterford tolled now?

Kess73 wrote: »
    Been a fair few years since I drove to Waterford from the Limerick side. Is the main bridge, the one that could open for boats, into Waterford tolled now?

no, theres a new suspension bridge on this side to allow you access to cork/tramore road without having to go through city.
    4030347668_7b15e77245_b.jpg

• Advertisement

no, theres a new suspension bridge on this side to allow you access to cork/tramore road without having to go through city.
    4030347668_7b15e77245_b.jpg

Never seen that before. It is on the Limerick side of Waterford? So it would be somewher around Newrath I take it. Does it connect onto the newish road between Cork/Dungarven and Waterford which in turn connects with the old Cork road that was at the end of Manor street?

I know Waterford pretty well as I used to rent a place near Manor street once upon a time, but this suspension bridge is totally new to me, and the last few times I was in Waterford I arrived and left via the Dungarven/Cork road.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

What's the deal with "COINS ONLY - NO RECEIPTS - NO CHANGE" (visible in the video @ about 2.10)

FFS, €1.80 is already €840 a year if you use it twice daily going to and from work, without trying to scam people even more!!!!!

That's only in the basket/express lanes which is fair enough. If you want either, you can go the manned lanes - I did, and got change and receipt. Admittedly it was a bit slow yesterday and the etoll lanes weren't open but I presume that will be resolved quickly.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Never seen that before. It is on the Limerick side of Waterford? So it would be somewher around Newrath I take it. Does it connect onto the newish road between Cork/Dungarven and Waterford which in turn connects with the old Cork road that was at the end of Manor street?

I know Waterford pretty well as I used to rent a place near Manor street once upon a time, but this suspension bridge is totally new to me, and the last few times I was in Waterford I arrived and left via the Dungarven/Cork road.

don't know the name of the area on approach into waterford, but its near where the old train track used cross the road, and is a direct link to motorway to dub, and bypass to wexford, and links to the new cork dungarvan road on other side.

don't know the name of the area on approach into waterford, but its near where the old train track used cross the road, and is a direct link to motorway to dub, and bypass to wexford, and links to the new cork dungarvan road on other side.

Closer to Grannagh than Newrath then if it is by the main route to Dublin from Waterford. Must have a spin out by that bridge next time I am down that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

What's the deal with "COINS ONLY - NO RECEIPTS - NO CHANGE" (visible in the video @ about 2.10)

FFS, €1.80 is already €840 a year if you use it twice daily going to and from work, without trying to scam people even more!!!!!

It's not a "scam". If you go to that particular lane, the machine is automated. You toss the exact amount in the basket and the barrier opens. If you put 2 euro in the barrier will open too, but you'll get no change. If you want change, then you go to a manned lane. Simple as that. People are debasing the word 'scam' by using it willy-nilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Berty wrote: »
    I have my tag from http://easytrip.ie/

It works on every toll in the country and also you get into Q-Parks without needing a ticket. Like Dunnes Harveys Quay/Howleys Quay(whatever).

No qeueing behind people at machines, no qeueing at Toll Plazas either. :D

Do you have the "Hire" or "Own" option on that, Berty?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I heard this morning that whatever they use to recognise whether its a car,van or truck at the unmanned booths was incorrectly identifing some cars as vans. Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Roadend wrote: »
    I heard this morning that whatever they use to recognise whether its a car,van or truck at the unmanned booths was incorrectly identifing some cars as vans. Just a heads up.

Can confirm that. it picked mine up as a transit van today(treied to charge me 3.20), had to go manned booth(no traffic tank god) and show the backseats in the car to prove it was'nt a transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Can confirm that. it picked mine up as a transit van today(treied to charge me 3.20), had to go manned booth(no traffic tank god) and show the backseats in the car to prove it was'nt a transit.

They could have just checked the badge on the back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Roadend wrote: »
    They could have just checked the badge on the back :)

That nothing they thought my mates was a hiace and charged him 2 crow guards and an old rug.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Do you have the "Hire" or "Own" option on that, Berty?

I own my own as when I opened the account you could only own your own tag. Years ago.

Furet wrote: »
    It's not a "scam". If you go to that particular lane, the machine is automated. You toss the exact amount in the basket and the barrier opens. If you put 2 euro in the barrier will open too, but you'll get no change. If you want change, then you go to a manned lane.

Check the video again. That sign was above a manned lane.

If the video is misleading, then fair enough.

Check the video again. That sign was above a manned lane.

If the video is misleading, then fair enough.

theres a basket AFTER the manned box, sometimes the box will be manned, sometimes it'll be an automated basket. if its manned, you get change. if its not, you don't. the signs above the lane will tell you in advance which boxes are manned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Richard Harris, JP McManus and Sean South are among the famous Limerick names people would like to see associated with the new Limerick tunnel!

Ugh Seán south. At least theres no window in the tunnel to spy him through.
    and JP, if he paid for it maybe :p
    Harris I could muster some enthusiasm for.

The Anglo Irish Bank tunnel ; since it cost us a fortune to sink into its current position.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Anyone using Tolltag for the tunnel? I went through yesterday and today after work, barrier opened no problem but my balance has remained the same :p

Will chance my arm tomorrow again! we like this new road :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

went through for a look eariler...some job in all fairness though...very well finished...

but €3.40 for me jeep....feck that for a came of soilders...

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Anyone using Tolltag for the tunnel? I went through yesterday and today after work, barrier opened no problem but my balance has remained the same :p

Will chance my arm tomorrow again! we like this new road :D

It happens sometimes. My easytrip tag is supposed to beep but sometimes it does not beep. On the M50 if it does not beep the cameras will check your reg for non payment then realise you are tagged and charge you.

BUT

Yesterday I went through the Watergrasshill Toll Plaza(same company as Limerick) and there was a queue for the Express Lane and it didn't beep but the barrier raised.

No charge for me. :D Has happened before a number of times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Used the tunnel for the first time yesterday, going from Raheen to Kilkee. Left the industrial estate at 6.00PM, was at the Radisson about 5 mins later.

Up and down to Kilkee took 65 mins each way.

Superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Richard Harris, JP McManus and Sean South are among the famous Limerick names people would like to see associated with the new Limerick tunnel!

'The Limerick Tunnel' is an issue for you?

Advertisement