Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhead power line

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping to put up one of those steel kit sheds up in my back garden but I have power lines overhead. The shed would work out around 3.5m high, 4m at the very most & I'm guessing the line is about 8-9m high. Safe enough to continue or get the ESB out?

Thanks, Rob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You need to know what type of voltage it is. If its just 230/400v you would be fine. If you don't know what it is, take a picture, and someone will tell you what voltage it is, and if its insulated or not. A close up of the pole top, and one of the wires itself should make it clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Photograph it anyway I reckon, even if it's LV.

Clearances are different, depending on the voltage, and many aren't aware that a line will sag depending on temperature (due to ambient conditions or load), due to expansion :)

Worth noting that networks won't charge for a site visit in cases like these, better to know about such things now, rather than deal with an accident later :)

Here's one I found a while back, although it was a very warm day, the line wasn't fully loaded; the guy putting up the MDS aerial was waving a ten foot pole within less than a foot of a 10kV line. Apologies for the image quality, it was taken directly into the sun.

34346_407130697002_515617002_5181807_7932778_n.jpg

Doesn't sound like a very smart fella

No, he was lucky though!

Those aerials went up in the mid to late 90s, so it's been there for quite a while...

The picture doesn't show it very well, but it's a high chimney, near the apex of the roof, so while there was enough clearance over the house, even the colourking aerial is barely outside the proximity zone (.75m, even for us chaps with the blue helmets).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rob555mark

Hi, its a 10,000v line. I had a guy from the ESB out. He told me that I was going to get hassle. The shed itself may not be a problem but the building of it would be as they would have to cut the power while work was being done just in case. He advised me to get the pole moved & would cost me an arm & a leg. Not what I wanted to hear because it needs to be moved onto someone elses ground. He was not an official engineer but he will get him out for a site visit and I will get all the answers I need including the price of moving a pole.

He told me not to lay a block or the ESB will issue me with a letter to halt any work. I asked him about all the other shed/garages/trees etc in the country that were near power lines & he said that the ESB are taking a tougher stance on these things in view of recent deaths on sites etc.

He was really nice about it & I had no problems with what he was telling me but I'm screwed as I cant put a garage anywhere else and money tight these days.

• Advertisement

Strictly speaking, ESB may commit to carrying out a line diversion free of charge on receipt of planning permission for a development underneath the line. The engineering officer who visits you will be aware of this, and the clearances involved.

It's possible, but unlikely that you will be able to get a switchout on the line for the duration of the work, again the EO will be able to advise you on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Strictly speaking, ESB may commit to carrying out a line diversion free of charge on receipt of planning permission for a development underneath the line. The engineering officer who visits you will be aware of this, and the clearances involved.

It's possible, but unlikely that you will be able to get a switchout on the line for the duration of the work, again the EO will be able to advise you on this.

That was some photo of the lines over the house, unbelievable he did`t switch out the line himself with his aerial pole, and lights out for himself.

Reminds me of this:

newschool_170143t.jpg

Was pictured in the independent few years go

Advertisement