Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking Europe

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone!

I'm 20 years old, and am really interested in backpacking around Europe...however im not exactly sure how to go about it! Wouldn't mind hostels/camping etc... cheap n' cheerful as possible! :p
    Any info at all, would be a great help.

P.S.
    I've heard about flying to Berlin train station and getting an unlimited ticket for a set price to travel around Europe and would love to know more about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Yo!

I went last summer for 3 weeks. Its possibly the best holiday ive been on so far.

Got one of those interrailing tickets, was 200 quid or so, gave us 10 days travel within (EDIT)28 days (which is loads, gives 2 days per city, which is about ideal)

Flew to berlin, its a brilliant city, then went to prague, vienna, budapest and then a few cities in croatia.

Ryanair do flights to berlin, and home from zadar in croatia so we organised the rest of our trip around those two points.

I'd highly recommend it, you will meet so many people and drink so much tasty european beer its fantastic!!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MonkeyShoes

Yo!

I went last summer for 3 weeks. Its possibly the best holiday ive been on so far.

Got one of those interrailing tickets, was 200 quid or so, gave us 10 days travel within (EDIT)28 days (which is loads, gives 2 days per city, which is about ideal)

Flew to berlin, its a brilliant city, then went to prague, vienna, budapest and then a few cities in croatia.

Ryanair do flights to berlin, and home from zadar in croatia so we organised the rest of our trip around those two points.

I'd highly recommend it, you will meet so many people and drink so much tasty european beer its fantastic!!

Enjoy!
    Sounds amazing!
    Did you book your interrailing ticket before you left Ireland or after you arrived in Berlin? I'm thinking of going in the next few months or so, did you find you needed much money getting around?
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Booked it before we left. I think you have to, though im not sure!!

Did it all from this site...
    http://www.interrailnet.com/

You could easily go and just buy the tickets as ye go along, thered be no trouble with that at all, and if your not planning on traveliing more than, say, 5 times, it would probably work out cheaper to buy them over there than paying for the ticket in advance.

If your planning on fitting in as many cities as possible, and want the security that if ye dont like a place ye can just pack up and leave, then go for the ticket!

The whole thing (ticket and accomodation and cheap beer and food) came up to a total of €2000 for me. Its expensive, but tis worth it!

I've heard some stories of people spending 4k and upwards but thats definatly going over the top.

The best thing i can tell you to do is to get a credit card, or use a friends or something, and book hostels off of hostelworld. Most of them are cheap and pretty ok(by ok, i mean 'liveable') You wont be in the hostel much anyway. We just booked hostels for the next city we were going to on out list as we went along. Worked out fine for us!!

Oh, and theres a music festival in budapest every summer, its really small and in the city, but its amazing. Think it was mid-late july it was on, not 100% on that either. If its on when ye'r there, i'd recommend it! Crazy ****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Booked it before we left. I think you have to, though im not sure!!

Did it all from this site...
    http://www.interrailnet.com/

You could easily go and just buy the tickets as ye go along, thered be no trouble with that at all, and if your not planning on traveliing more than, say, 5 times, it would probably work out cheaper to buy them over there than paying for the ticket in advance.

If your planning on fitting in as many cities as possible, and want the security that if ye dont like a place ye can just pack up and leave, then go for the ticket!

The whole thing (ticket and accomodation and cheap beer and food) came up to a total of €2000 for me. Its expensive, but tis worth it!

I've heard some stories of people spending 4k and upwards but thats definatly going over the top.

The best thing i can tell you to do is to get a credit card, or use a friends or something, and book hostels off of hostelworld. Most of them are cheap and pretty ok(by ok, i mean 'liveable') You wont be in the hostel much anyway. We just booked hostels for the next city we were going to on out list as we went along. Worked out fine for us!!

Oh, and theres a music festival in budapest every summer, its really small and in the city, but its amazing. Think it was mid-late july it was on, not 100% on that either. If its on when ye'r there, i'd recommend it! Crazy ****!!
    Sziget is the Festival, and its by no means small! We're hitting Amsterdam-Berlin-Vienna-Prague-Budapest

Advertisement