Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spancil Hill 2010

• 13-07-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Some fun to be had at the Spancil Hill fair - its a great place for interesting people and photographs. Here are a few from my day out and would appreciate any c&c. Thanks

4741474143_582e108439.jpg

4742063986_e32f8dc6c2.jpg

4742079996_0eb31649d6.jpg

4741435385_d86dc9f5e8.jpg

4742083766_2e0c64e73a.jpg
    4742097922_ecfe33a57f.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Interesting bunch!

Did you shoot in B&W or convert it later? I'd probably have upped the contrast on these to make the faces stand out more.

The third one is the best I think but the stuff in the background makes it look a little cluttered as it's all too much in focus. A nice crop might work better. Or a selective blur if you have photoshop/the GIMP to simulate a shallow DOF.

On 2 and 5, the bright sky is stealing the eye away from the subjects and the treeline in 5 spoils the way your eye moves around the picture. 2 could've used a nice shallow DOF as well to remove the distracting background elements.

What lens and settings were you using? I think this shoot would really have benefitted from a nice fast prime like the nifty 50mm, so that you could really emphasis the subjects and play down the background elements.

For shots like 2, 4 and 5 you might consider dropping to a knee so that you can lose the trees/other elements in the background, just making sure to meter for the dark foreground and not the bright background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I like the first one, and the woman in the third has an interesting face.

They would benefit from a boost of contrast and a lift of the highlights/lights - Do you have lightroom?

They're nice shots, but a little flat and greyish. Looks like you just simply converted straight to greyscale - better to desaturate all the colours and adjust the luminosity/contrast of each individually. In PS later versions the Black and white filter is much better than simple greyscale also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Thank you for the c&c Promac and for all the interesting suggestions. I need to remind myself to look at different angles.

I converted to B&W afterwards. It was a very heavy overcast day. I have a nifty fifty so am kicking myself now and I could have achieved better bokeh with a higher aperture. I have a 28-135mm lens which I used on the day. I tend to stick with manual mode.

Thank you for the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think they are wonderful when considered as a set. Very reminiscent of fair/fun days of times gone by.

While yes they are a little low on contrast, that is a recognisable style (whether you had intended or not). I personally think that higher contrast may work well on them individually but if presenting them as a set like here, then they work really well just as is. Even the blown out skies don't bother my viewing of them. With higher contrast the skies may become overly dominant.

To be critical, the last one is to my way of viewing probably the weakest of the set photographically.

#3 is just so special. absolutely love it.

I really like the these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I think they are wonderful when considered as a set. Very reminiscent of fair/fun days of times gone by.

While yes they are a little low on contrast, that is a recognisable style (whether you had intended or not). I personally think that higher contrast may work well on them individually but if presenting them as a set like here, then they work really well just as is. Even the blown out skies don't bother my viewing of them. With higher contrast the skies may become overly dominant.

To be critical, the last one is to my way of viewing probably the weakest of the set photographically.

#3 is just so special. absolutely love it.

I really like the these.

Thank you so much - No. 3 is my favourite too. I think I will try and re-edit them and work on the contrast. So thank you all for your contributions - I have a lot to work on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement