Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fidel Castro warns of dire nuclear conflict

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I really liked the pictures of the big ass ships. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Denerick wrote: »
    I really liked the pictures of the big ass ships. Thanks for that.

No problem at all. A picture/s tells a thousand words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I'd say Israel and the US are quaking in their boots:rolleyes:
    I am sure they are
    As general Alexander Haig said when asked by the President, when he was half asleep at a conference" Well what are we going to do about Cuba?"

Haig said"Uuhh ..jus gimme the word boss ...an I'll turn it into a carpark"

:D

So what. If they couldn't take Cuba 50 years ago when the country had something to boast about what hope in hell have they got doing it now when they are bust..
    taking on Cuba would be just lighting the fuze for what would be in store and would be a stupid move. . Cuba has allies.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

I am sure they are

So what. If they couldn't take Cuba 50 years ago when the country had something to boast about what hope in hell have they got doing it now when they are bust..
    taking on Cuba would be just lighting the fuze for what would be in store and would be a stupid move. . Cuba has allies.. :eek:

Im sorry, I honestly cant tell your posts are serious or not :P

I agree "taking" Cuba would be a stupid move, not because of massive repurcussions, but there I cant imagine any realy gain.

Castro is and has been a bit of a quack with his theories, I do agree that he is certainly not the worst dictator in Latin American histroy, but a dictator he is.

We have new, trendy, borderline-dictator, left wing latin american politicians to say crazy, albiet interesting things.

With regard to the destruction of all nuclear weapons by the US and its allies, I really cant imagine why they would even consider doing it unilatrally. Like a poster said, the knowledge is there and the benefits obvious. Since when has the "moral high ground" helped anybody on the international stage in anything but the most superficial ways?

Ditto with a country/ government acting "hypocritcally" why does it matter? Why does anyone expect them to look out for any interests but their own and (best case scenario) their allies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Did the Nazis use nukes in any of their conflicts?

You win todays Godwin award.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i honestly thought he was dead there for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Ditto with a country/ government acting "hypocritcally" why does it matter? Why does anyone expect them to look out for any interests but their own and (best case scenario) their allies?
    So you're perfectly ok with governments being hypocritical then?
    Rather odd position.

Insofar as just looking out for no1, well that is selfish and immature.
    We all inhabit the same little rock in space that has a limited number of resources. Places like the USA can pretend all they want that the world stops at their border but it doesn't. Infact they've created a very integrated economic system that is dependant on dealing with dastardly others like China.

Like it or lump it radiation, like any other pollutant doesn't remain in a bubble.
    It drifts with particles carried by the wind and water; and that means if they just "bomb Cuba" there's a good chance the radiation will also hit mainland USA.
    For that at least we can be grateful.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

BluePlanet wrote: »
    So you're perfectly ok with governments being hypocritical then?
    Rather odd position.

Insofar as just looking out for no1, well that is selfish and immature.
    We all inhabit the same little rock in space that has a limited number of resources. Places like the USA can pretend all they want that the world stops at their border but it doesn't. Infact they've created a very integrated economic system that is dependant on dealing with dastardly others like China.

Like it or lump it radiation, like any other pollutant doesn't remain in a bubble.
    It drifts with particles carried by the wind and water; and that means if they just "bomb Cuba" there's a good chance the radiation will also hit mainland USA.
    For that at least we can be grateful.

:)

Thats not what I said, I said im surprised anyone expects any country to act any other way than hypocritical when their own interests are at stake.

From what your saying, you are somehow surprised countries dont want an enemy state to have nuclear weapons, but are alright with they themselves having one? Ridiculous. If said country acted like it was alright just because it would be hypocritcal to object, I would not be impressed by their morally upstanding behaviour, I would be stunned at the stupidity of it.

Its "selfish and immature" in an individual, but you are personifying an organization which may be looking out for the interests of (in theory) in some cases a billion people.

Interesting you should argue the US is to introspective, most people would argue the exact opposite.

Sure, it would be good for no one if there was a nuclear war, however, looking out for your own countries interests can stop well short of nuking another neighbouring country, or even invading / embargoing it.

I also seriously doubt the main reason the US hasnt nuked Cuba recently is because they are frightened radiation will blow back into the mainland.

Also, it probably wouldnt, depending on what kind of nuke was used... at least I think :P

Advertisement