Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico/Vodafone 3Mb -> 8Mb

• 13-07-2010 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Got a letter about 6 weeks ago from Perlico saying we would be upgraded soon from 3 to 8Mb at no extra charge. I presume this means we're going from ADSL to ADSL2+ (eircom have already upgraded the exchange, Leixlip).

Two questions:
    1. Anyone been upgraded yet? (ie Perlico/Voda customers)
    2. What is the upload speed when on 8Mb download?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I got upgraded recently. Upload is a nominal 512Mb. My download is listed as a nominal 6700Mb (or thereabouts) but I'm not getting anything like that at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You're on Perlico (or Vodafone)?

I emailed Perlico - reminding them I've less than a month left on my Perlico contract - and asked when can I expect to be upgraded and what is the upload speed only to get a reply 2 days later telling me they don't know the answer to either and they finished the email with "we trust that is in order". FFS!

Perlico customer support is garbage and I suspect it's gotten worse since Vodafone took over (along with new problems they bought in from BT).

Aside from numerous billing problems and uncompetitive pricing I miss Digiweb!

Next stop UPC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

vodafone/perlico = resold eircom products so id say the 8mb profile is eircom's so called "next generation broadband" and if it is that, its ADSL and you will never see that speed unless you live next door to the exchange

whats you line attenuation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

JHMEG wrote: »
    You're on Perlico (or Vodafone)?

Vodafone, Priory Exchange

Appear to have been upgraded some time yesterday.

8128 down and 512 up -- is 8128 not an ADSL1 speed?
    dazdrog wrote: »
    vodafone/perlico = resold eircom products so id say the 8mb profile is eircom's so called "next generation broadband" and if it is that, its ADSL and you will never see that speed unless you live next door to the exchange

whats you line attenuation?

I live about 2 miles from the exchange.

Router doesn't show me attenuation etc.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 8128 kbps 512 kbps
    Line Attenuation 36.0 db 22.0 db
    Noise Margin 6.9 db 23.0 db

• Advertisement

yes thats a ADSL speed, its the max speed for a line attenuation of 29dB, snr could be a little better then 6.9dB but that should hold the connection fine

what speeds are you reciving with that

Pretty much what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how do u know if yr near the exchange area?

Placebo wrote: »
    how do u know if yr near the exchange area?

a low line attenuation is one way to tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im not sure what its meant to be in comparison to what it is now
    what indicates low?

• Advertisement

Phone eircom and ask them what exchange you're on.

Irony about this is I got an email from Perlico yesterday telling me they don't know when I'll be upgraded, despite the fact that I already have.

I think when my contract is up next month it'll be time to move ISP.

Advertisement