Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza Hut "student ID discount" problem

Options
  • 13-07-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Recently, I went to Pizza Hut with a friend, who is a student. They had an offer for 20% off for students. Before we ordered, we asked if this was valid with an Irish student card as the Pizza Hut in question was in China. They took my friends student card to check with a manager, before coming back to us to confirm that yes it was.

However, when it came time to pay, they changed their minds and suddenly said they only accept Chinese student cards, and even those have to be from certain "approved" Chinese universities.

Suffice to say, after having been a Pizza Hut customer in Ireland for years, I do not plan to frequent their restaurants anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

First time I've seen a restaurant in China in this forum :)

I can see their point

Not even Bus Eireann accept student cards, it has to be their own approved card, USIT did it back in my day.
    Irish Rail is the same. That's the rules and we go with them. There is an approved list too to get a card

A company has no way of verifying your student card, they have never heard of Limerick or Waterford or wherever you go to college. Maybe they never heard of Ireland.

Boycotting Pizza Hut Ireland over what happened in Pizza Hut China?
    Calm down, it's a bit much.
    If you've been a happy customer until now, they don't lose out over this incident.

And maybe ask Pizza Hut Ireland if they accept a Chinese student card, they have the same issues with checking it as you encountered in China with an Irish student card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why do people feel the need to use works like robbed when that is clearly not the case? You were not robbed, you were mislead.

Why also would you boycott the presumably good service provided to you by Pizza Hut Ireland (since you've been using them for years) because of a single incident that happened in a foreign country where the language difference could have played a big part in the incident.

If this is how you over react to any such minor incident, I'd hate to see what happens if something serious were to happen. You should calm down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I have no problem with them not accepting Irish student cards.

The issue is that they took the student card and brought it to a manager before we ordered anything, and came back to confirm that yes indeed, they will be accepting it. But when it came time to pay, they changed their minds.

That's my only issue. It's like if I go to a restaurant and accept that I will pay, but than when I finish eating I change my mind.

As far as boycotting Pizza Hut in Ireland, they belong to the same parent company don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Recently, I went to Pizza Hut with a friend, who is a student. They had an offer for 20% off for students. Before we ordered, we asked if this was valid with an Irish student card as the Pizza Hut in question was in China. They took my friends student card to check with a manager, before coming back to us to confirm that yes it was.

However, when it came time to pay, they changed their minds and suddenly said they only accept Chinese student cards, and even those have to be from certain "approved" Chinese universities.

Suffice to say, after having been a Pizza Hut customer in Ireland for years, I do not plan to frequent their restaurants anymore.

Thats normal,

NS (Nationaal Spoorwegen) in the Netherlands, don't accept foreign student cards for rail tickets.

jor el wrote: »
    Why do people feel the need to use works like robbed when that is clearly not the case? You were not robbed, you were mislead.

That's why I put it in quotation marks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 rebel_rebel

god good I cant believe I wasted 30 seconds of life reading that! what a petty argument.whens the book coming out?!

As far as boycotting Pizza Hut in Ireland, they belong to the same parent company don't they?

Pizza Hut is a franchise. Even the stores in Ireland may not be under the same ownership. Even if they were under the same ownership, boycotting them all because of a tiny incident such as this would be rather ridiculous.
    That's why I put it in quotation marks...

So you knew you weren't robbed, but wanted to say it anyway so as to have a more dramatic effect? That makes it even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes but they are franchises.
    If you're happy with Pizza Hut Ireland then use them.

Different owners, different continents even!

god good I cant believe I wasted 30 seconds of life reading that! what a petty argument.whens the book coming out?!

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I asked before we ordered if they accept Irish student cards. They took the card, brought it to a manager to check, and came back to confirm that they do accept Irish student cards and this card in particular.

But when it came time to pay, they backtracked.

That's the issue. Not that they don't accept foreign student cards. I know some places that do, but that's up to every business to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I disagree

misleading would have been if when they produced their student card after the meal that they were told that not just any student card was sufficient

in this case, frankly, they were lied to.....and I cant see how anyone would be happy in this situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Thats normal,

NS (Nationaal Spoorwegen) in the Netherlands, don't accept foreign student cards for rail tickets.

They do if you play dumb. ;)

Riskymove wrote: »
    I disagree

misleading would have been if when they produced their student card after the meal that they were told that not just any student card was sufficient

in this case, frankly, they were lied to.....and I cant see how anyone would be happy in this situation

How does being lied to, or mislead, about the discount equal being robbed? Also, if they hadn't produced the card before hand and just assumed the discount applied, that wouldn't be misleading at all. That would have been a case of the customer falsely assuming their foreign student card would be accepted there.

As it stands, they were mislead into thinking the discount applied when it actually didn't. Nothing more than that. A poor experience, but not the end of the world. Don't go back to that particular shop again, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Op will you let us know which Pizza Hut it was? Just in case I ever find myself to be a student and in China at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Why didnt you "change your mind" and not pay?

Pizza Hut is a franchise. Even the stores in Ireland may not be under the same ownership.

When I go to a Pizza Hut in Ireland, I am still supporting Pizza Hut, Inc, their parent company. The franchisees don't get to keep all the profits.
    So you knew you weren't robbed, but wanted to say it anyway so as to have a more dramatic effect? That makes it even worse.

I am sorry that I offended you.

Why didnt you "change your mind" and not pay?

:D

Also, if they hadn't produced the card before hand and just assumed the discount applied, that wouldn't be misleading at all. That would have been a case of the customer falsely assuming their foreign student card would be accepted there.

I agree with you on that point. The problem is, we produced the student card before we even ordered. The member of staff brought the card to a manager and came back to tell us that yes, the 20% discount will apply to us and yes they do accept Irish student cards. When it came time to pay, they changed their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

How much did the 20% 'loss' cost you?

They do if you play dumb. ;)

No .. they don't :)

Have seen Irish, English and German students getting hauled off the Train on the Schiphol/Amsterdam train, you need to apply for it:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/OV-studentenkaart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

OP you should try phoning the Pizza Hut head office in Bejing.

Be careful though cause, there are so many Wings and Wongs that you're liable to Wing the Wong number...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

No .. they don't :)

Have seen Irish, English and German students getting hauled off the Train on the Schiphol/Amsterdam train, you need to apply for it:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/OV-studentenkaart

I travelled Rotterdam/A'dam with my valid Irish card and they were cool with it. Just told me to sort it out for the next time.

I also found that a lot of the conductors didn't bother asking for the student card from Dutch or other people with student tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Should have gone to Station kitchen, only small fast food place I've ever eaten at in china and they show football most of the time. i ate there once with 8 people untill stuffed for about €15 and the food was good, while the shops and restaurant mainly serving foreigner cost the same as home local places and the likes of MacDonalds and kfc are very cheap how much did you loose out on.

Are you sure this was a real pizza hut, china's not know for it's adherence to traded marked names, how many z were in pizza.

I travelled Rotterdam/A'dam with my valid Irish card and they were cool with it. Just told me to sort it out for the next time.

I also found that a lot of the conductors didn't bother asking for the student card from Dutch or other people with student tickets.

The student card is their pass. Its a wireless chip system.
    The reduced price ticket you bought is for something else altogether (voordeelurenabonnement)

The common mistake is people buy the 40% discount card thinking its for students. I think you were lucky to get off with it to be honest.

Wouldnt want someone to see this and think that you can get away with it easily.. seeing foreigners stung for a control ticket is a common sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

As it stands, they were mislead into thinking the discount applied when it actually didn't. Nothing more than that. A poor experience, but not the end of the world. Don't go back to that particular shop again, nothing more.

you have a very understanding view of 'misleading' I have to say

I think its more than 'misleading', as I said i think its downright lying

Question: 'does this card give me 20% off'
    Answer: 'yes'

so they decide to eat there

then later 'no'......'misleading'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

You should report them to the chinese police or better yet

obamao-1.jpg

Yes he can help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

We're still waiting to hear the bottom line, How much did they 'rob' off you?

you have a very understanding view of 'misleading' I have to say

What other understanding of it can there be?
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mislead
    To lead into error of thought or action, especially by intentionally deceiving.

The OP was not robbed, he was mislead into believing a discount would apply, when in fact it did not.
    I think its more than 'misleading', as I said i think its downright lying

Question: 'does this card give me 20% off'
    Answer: 'yes'

so they decide to eat there

then later 'no'......'misleading'?

Yes, in every sense of the word. You say you disagree with me, yet reading both of our posts, we seem to be in complete agreement. I don't understand why you're still going on about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

If im right in saying most of those Big American Chain restaurants cost roughly the same in China as they do in the US. So 20% can't have been very much. Say you buy a large pizza each costs at most $20. 20% of $20 is only $4. So lets convert $4 into €. Roughly €3.25 give or take a few cent.

So over $4 you would stop giving the Irish chains your business as you were mislead in another country? Daft at best. Even if out of principle you are doing it, It is still daft.

Some people cause a huge fuss over nothing. Let me ask you did you end up paying for the Pizza or did you walk out?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In Communist China shop robs you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Yeah, that'll really show the guy in China...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement