Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - cold turkey

• 13-07-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Im beginning to get the shakes, dry mouth, double vision....cold turkey is setting in.....and there's not even tennis on TV to ease the pain.

Life just isn't the same without it....no bill eamo & john to listen to moaning, no sexy latin chicks to look at, no ronaldo to curse at, no england to laugh at, even miss the vuvuzelas.

How can i fill this hole in my life?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Get down to Dalymount this evening!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055967260

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

love to, but i live in the sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

To be fair, I really pity you right now. You had to go longer between the 2nd semi and the 3rd place playoff, its been one full day. Give it a few days and you'll have turned into a wild beast.
    My suggestion is, if the football team you support have a tv channel, pay for it till the premier league starts up, that way you can watch all the pre-season friendlies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

not to worry mate..the open is starting on thursday with Golf starting from 9-8pm thursday - Sunday..Happy days on BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Golf is for bores!

• Advertisement

Golf is for bores!
    People who say Golf is for Bores tend not to play golf. hence i can understand why you think we are boring. Golf is not boring at all..give it a try..you'll be pleasantly surprised.

syngindub wrote: »
    People who say Golf is for Bores tend not to play golf. hence i can understand why you think we are boring. Golf is not boring at all..give it a try..you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have - several times! It is tedious stuff, and even more so playing rather than watching the best at it on TV!

It is nearly always the sport of choice for the biggest crooks and corrupt in this country - not that a fair amount of people who play are on that level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am so sated I'm rather happy that there is nothing to watch for the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm just glad we have a clear run at the hurling and football now.:pac:

I have - several times! It is tedious stuff, and even more so playing rather than watching the best at it on TV!

It is nearly always the sport of choice for the biggest crooks and corrupt in this country - not that a fair amount of people who play are on that level!
    Jees you must be pretty bad mate..you spend more time on the course looking for your ball :)..god love ye
    Ye, it attracts all sorts..much like all sports i'd imagine

• Advertisement

Jees you must be pretty bad mate..you spend more time on the course looking for your ball :)..god love ye
    Ye, it attracts all sorts..much like all sports i'd imagine

Was OK actually - getting the few odd pars.
    Having said that, I once read somewhere, that something like 90-95% of the PGA golfers in the States were registered Republicans, which is enough reason to be put off by the sport. :pac:

For all its problems, no sports tournament has the same prestige and global appeal as the World Cup, and golf simply does not come close.

Was OK actually - getting the few odd pars.
    Having said that, I once read somewhere, that something like 90-95% of the PGA golfers in the States were registered Republicans, which is enough reason to be put off by the sport. :pac:

For all its problems, no sports tournament has the same prestige and global appeal as the World Cup, and golf simply does not come close.

Republicans playing golf :) pull the other one !!
    Did i ever say that Golf has more appeal than soccerball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My sleeping pattern is getting back to normal.

Might watch the golf to speed up the process.

Republicans playing golf :) pull the other one !!
    Did i ever say that Golf has more appeal than soccerball?

No, but at least understand for people like me and maybe the OP - a lot of us don't take the same level of interest, knowledge, or even enjoyment in other sports or sports events happening.

I guess the growing popularity of golf is a bit of a mystery to me, but hope you continue to enjoy it (and the British Open) in the future!

No, but at least understand for people like me and maybe the OP - a lot of us don't take the same level of interest, knowledge, or even enjoyment in other sports or sports events happening.

I guess the growing popularity of golf is a bit of a mystery to me, but hope you continue to enjoy it (and the British Open) in the future!

I understand that some people hate it alright. I can see why it seems boring..I find GAA, Cricket and most things that Eurosport shows as pretty boring also :)
    I've been known to watch a bit of cycling..now thats boring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

john described it best........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

fryup wrote: »
    Im beginning to get the shakes, dry mouth, double vision....cold turkey is setting in.....and there's not even tennis on TV to ease the pain.

Life just isn't the same without it....no bill eamo & john to listen to moaning, no sexy latin chicks to look at, no ronaldo to curse at, no england to laugh at, even miss the vuvuzelas.

How can i fill this hole in my life?

I only started watching the Tour de France this year, its no World Cup, but its something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Do you have Eurosport?

The Ladies U 20 World Cup is on. Look at for Korea's no. 10, Sunyo (something like that), she is going to be a star of ladies football!

She scored a hatrick in a 4 0 demolition of the Swiss and should have had at least another 2 to her name.

Japan went one up on Mexico after 20 mins and found themselves 3 1 behind by the 65th minute. On the 87th minute, Japan brought it back to 3 3. And that's how it finished, a great game!

I dunno the result of the USA Ghana match but it was 1 1 with the USA taking an age and a half to put any sort of mark on the game.

I think England drew today too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mars bar wrote: »
    Do you have Eurosport?

The Ladies U 20 World Cup is on. Look at for Korea's no. 10, Sunyo (something like that), she is going to be a star of ladies football!

She scored a hatrick in a 4 0 demolition of the Swiss and should have had at least another 2 to her name.

Japan went one up on Mexico after 20 mins and found themselves 3 1 behind by the 65th minute. On the 87th minute, Japan brought it back to 3 3. And that's how it finished, a great game!

I dunno the result of the USA Ghana match but it was 1 1 with the USA taking an age and a half to put any sort of mark on the game.

I think England drew today too.

Probably a very sexist thing to say but whats the standard of goalkeeping like? I say that because female keepers in GAA invariably make at least one unbelieveably funny mistake per game.:pac:

The Swiss goalkeeper is fairly good. She made a great double save today.

It is hard coz they don't tend to have the spring on the step like the men do but some keepers have very strong hands to get the ball away. It does make some of the goals look good when it's scored from distance and into the top corner.

Ye should see our keeper in our league though, some point blank saves and we've only conceded one goal in four matches and that was in the fourth match we played tonight! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pre-season friendlies begin this Friday for United, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

been watching le tour de france, but golf is going to take a big chunk of the weekend viewing.

irish-stew wrote: »
    been watching le tour de france, but golf is going to take a big chunk of the weekend viewing.

St. Andrews, love it!

Here's hoping McIlroy and Harrington start finding some consistency.

Advertisement