Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Need to get rid of flies

Options
  • 13-07-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Recently my apt has been plagued by what look like largish fruit flies - they're floating around everywhere -lately it feel like every time I move something in the kitchen, 3 or 4 of them fly up. Every time I open the bin some fly out (HOW do they get in there when it's closed? :mad:) They're also around the livngroom as they keep trying to cluster into my pet rats cage.
    I keep everything clean, but due to the pet cage I can't get rid of every single available scrap of food/mess unless I hover over it 24/7.
    I also can't use sprays due to pets & houseplants.
    Is there any way to get rid of these horrible creatures altogether? I havn't seen old-fashioned flypaper in years. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use carnivorous plants to help keep fly numbers down in my kitchen. The Pitcher Plants seem to be more successful than the Venus Flytraps. I'm sure you can still get fly paper somewhere, but I have no idea where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

kylith wrote: »
    I use carnivorous plants to help keep fly numbers down in my kitchen. The Pitcher Plants seem to be more successful than the Venus Flytraps. I'm sure you can still get fly paper somewhere, but I have no idea where.

I love those plants and it didn't occur to me! I'll try and find some in Galway tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie will deliver in Ireland if you can't find them locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Get a cat! Mine has had a field day the last few weeks chasin and stalkin them around my apt!

*a cats for life...not just just for fly catchin haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I got these stickers that you put on the window and seems to have done the trick. the come in different types...butterflies,flowers or ladybirds and you just stick them on your window and the flies die apparently.....well i stuck them on 2 days ago and have not seen a fly since!
    I got them in woodies and i think they are rentokill or something like that............far less annoying than my swatter !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Flies are everywhere, horrible flippin yolks. The small ones are the worst they can fit anywhere.

When cleaning down the rat cage and around the house perhaps use a vinegar and citronella solution. Just water, cheap white vinegar and a few drops of citronella.

I've noticed the little flies coming out of our bin cheeky beggers, only thing is to empty the bin bag and wipe it down every day or every other day.

Some people leave a jar with a bit of honey or jam in it and fill it up with water they fly in and can't get out.

Used to have a venus fly trap but the poor thing died on me I can never seem to keep them over the winter. They are great though, have a few dotted around the place would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I got fly paper in my local hardware store. It doesnt work very well but it is available. Like the idea of the pitcher plants alot more tho!

Advertisement