Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying external harddrive problem

• 13-07-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

I was messing around with the settings on my external harddrive the other day and I seem to have made a booboo. I selected some folders and changed the settings so that they could only be accessed from my pc.

However, now I cant seem to open the harddrive at all, even from my pc. I get an error message that says "E is not accessible - access is denied".

Im running windows 7.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Can you right-click the drive and access the 'security' tab ? And edit the permissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can you right-click the drive and access the 'security' tab ? And edit the permissions.

All of the 'allow' boxs are ticked in the security tab.

Noone ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

download a linux bootup disk like ubuntu, boot from the disk with drive plugged in and it should see it...copy your files off it then.........worth a try

download a linux bootup disk like ubuntu, boot from the disk with drive plugged in and it should see it...copy your files off it then.........worth a try

Hmm - maybe as a last resort. Surely im just missing something simple. I mean, all I did was change settings so that one folder could only be accessed from my pc. Now I cant access the harddrive at all, even from my own pc. V.strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

you say all of the allow boxes are ticket but for which user / users? can you post a screen shot? it sounds to me like you chose remove rather than copy permisisons and de-selected inheritance option.. you may be able to get around this by going to advanced security settings and "take ownership" and add everyone and full control ..

corkcomp wrote: »
    you say all of the allow boxes are ticket but for which user / users? can you post a screen shot? it sounds to me like you chose remove rather than copy permisisons and de-selected inheritance option.. you may be able to get around this by going to advanced security settings and "take ownership" and add everyone and full control ..

screenshots:

24zk4y8.png
    b87hh5.png
    2v9w5c8.png
    34ht8w0.png

did you try adding everyone group and full control?

edit: the ownership tab does not appear to exist either which is not good

edit: the ownership tab does not appear to exist either which is not good

I can get into the ownership settings. I have selected the profile that I use as the owner. The same problem happens.
    did you try adding everyone group and full control?

What do you mean by this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

try booting in to safe mode with administrative privileges and try the ownership settings as suggested?

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    I can get into the ownership settings. I have selected the profile that I use as the owner. The same problem happens.

What do you mean by this ?

at the advanced security settings screen and permissions tab click add and type everyone and tick all boxes and try again ..

at the advanced security settings screen and permissions tab click add and type everyone and tick all boxes and try again ..

Like this ? Doesnt seem to be working :(

118hcap.png

[edit] It worked! Thanks so much.

Advertisement