Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Christchurch or Ranelagh?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

Viewing a place in Christchurch today, near the st patricks cathedral, i'd just like some advice on the area? Ive been there a few times, but whats crime, amenities etc like? It looks fine like, just if anyone knows any secrets about the place or anything I should know?

Was also thinking abour Ranelagh just because its come highly recommended but to be honest I'm not sold on it yet, what are the areas like comparable wise?

Go raibh maith agaibh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,370 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ranelagh by a country mile. Much safer area, easy access to city centre, allround more pleasant place. Rathmines is another place to consider, similar to Ranelagh. It depends what you want, gritty urban versus something a bit more leafy?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wouldn't live in christchurch if you paid me, really not safe compared to Ranelagh afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

agreed ranelagh is much nicer than christchurch and within walking distance from city centre also and without the hussle and bussle of rathmines but within 5mins of it for shopping ie dunnes, tesco, aldi and lidl you cant go wrong also cinema and video store and lots of shops...ranelagh is good for coffee shops and pubs and has the luas stop there too and is very safe and quite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I'm living in the Deans court Apartments on Patrick Street for the past year, and it's grand. Never had any hassle. And it's a short walk from every where really! Less than ten minutes from Dame street, close to lots of shops on Thomas/Meath street, Georges street, Stephen's Green.
    The only thing is make sure the appartment is not facing the road, as it can be noisy with all the traffic.
    As for gritty urban comment, you have the little park by Patrick's Catherdral, Stephen's Green and Iveagh Gardens all near by.
    I have a feeling this is going to turn into a "I don't know the area but don't like it anyway" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

I was gonna say, its hardly gritty urban, it has two massive cathedrals and leafy parks from what ive seen, but if thats the perception then fine. It is facing the road though on Patrick Street. I havent been to Ranelagh or Rathmines before though, except driving through, so I will give more thought to them now, I would like leafy and safe, and it seems to tick other boxes with pubs n shops + the luas.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm living in the Deans court Apartments on Patrick Street for the past year, and it's grand. Never had any hassle. And it's a short walk from every where really! Less than ten minutes from Dame street, close to lots of shops on Thomas/Meath street, Georges street, Stephen's Green.
    The only thing is make sure the appartment is not facing the road, as it can be noisy with all the traffic.
    As for gritty urban comment, you have the little park by Patrick's Catherdral, Stephen's Green and Iveagh Gardens all near by.
    I have a feeling this is going to turn into a "I don't know the area but don't like it anyway" thread.

Gotta agree here.

All the amenities you could want/need within a short distance.

One the crime side of things, a report was done in the Sunday Tribune last month about burglaries. Terenure is the closest Garda station that was included that would serve Ranelagh.

Kevin St (Dublin) 2008: 533 2009: 681 % Change: +28
    Terenure 2008: 400 2009: 537 % Change: +34

You need to be a tad more specific OP, do you have a job planned and where is it? What amenities are you looking for? etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Gotta agree here.

All the amenities you could want/need within a short distance.

One the crime side of things, a report was done in the Sunday Tribune last month about burglaries. Terenure is the closest Garda station that was included that would serve Ranelagh.

Kevin St (Dublin) 2008: 533 2009: 681 % Change: +28
    Terenure 2008: 400 2009: 537 % Change: +34

You need to be a tad more specific OP, do you have a job planned and where is it? What amenities are you looking for? etc...

Why on earth would Terenure Garda station serve Ranelagh? Surely it would be Rathmines or Donnybrook...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

+1 for Ranelagh

its a bit more expensive than Christchurch - but you rarely see a junkie or someone passed out on the footpath. (I work near christchurch and a live in Ranelagh, I used to live along the quays a stones throw from Thomas street and christchurch - but moved after my car was broken into ...local kids just bored - they broke into several cars - they were off school and bored !!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Around Chirstchurch is fine. It used to be a bit rough in the 80's and early 90's but has settled alot. I find it amusing that because an area was a little deprived 20 years ago most people assume it's still the same without checking or noting any developments made since the 80's. The most recent stats from the Gardai show Ranelagh has a higher level of violent crime. You will however see some junkies around Thomas street due to the local treatment centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

muineachan wrote: »
    Viewing a place in Christchurch today, near the st patricks cathedral, i'd just like some advice on the area? Ive been there a few times, but whats crime, amenities etc like?

Christchurch has a high junkie population. I used to work right on the corner, and I wouldn't want to live around there unless it was in on a high floor of a secure apartment complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The areas are not comparable, to be honest.

Ranelagh is 'nicer', but is also more expensive and the housing stock may well be older.

Mmmm thats interesting, over 2 crimes a day! Whats the world at? I work from home so no issues with needing to be in a specific area, but I favour Christchurch because its a short walk into town. Amenities, just shops, pubs, not looking for anything major, with Dublin on my doorstep nothings going to be that far away. I currently live in Balinteer and it's a pain. Ranelagh and Rathmines still seem a bit far from town, I know theres the luas and everything.

Ill check out this place,but to be honest I dont want to be coming home from a night out through a sea of junkies, or bring my mum down from Monaghan to see that! She'd be mortified.

Will line up some Ranelagh/ Rathmines appointments then!

Mmmm thats interesting, over 2 crimes a day! Whats the world at? I work from home so no issues with needing to be in a specific area, but I favour Christchurch because its a short walk into town. Amenities, just shops, pubs, not looking for anything major, with Dublin on my doorstep nothings going to be that far away. I currently live in Balinteer and it's a pain. Ranelagh and Rathmines still seem a bit far from town, I know theres the luas and everything.

Ill check out this place,but to be honest I dont want to be coming home from a night out through a sea of junkies, or bring my mum down from Monaghan to see that! She'd be mortified.

You could try harolds cross, I lived there for a year and loved it. It's 20 mins on the bus and never seemed to catch much traffic at the hours I got it. Fastest time was 5 mins into town on a sunday morning :eek:

Kooli wrote: »
    Why on earth would Terenure Garda station serve Ranelagh? Surely it would be Rathmines or Donnybrook...

No Rathmines but a Donnybrook one

Donnybrook 2008: 475 2009: 417 % Change: -12

Have you seen anywhere in specific in Christchurch you're looking at? Like road names or anything?

There's two roads I'd stay away from, that's Wintavern St and Cook St, mainly due to the methadone centre there.

No Rathmines but a Donnybrook one

Of course there is a rathmines one, or did you mean none on that list? :confused:

Yeah its on Patrick street, close to St Patricks cathedral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

i live in harolds cross at moment and although i like it its very quite and not near too many amenities (like the quite but pain in the ass dragging shopping home) and not crazy about the bus services....i lived in rathmines for over 10 years all up and down rathmines road lower and upper and loved how close it was to everything only thing is it is student heaven and can be very noisy especially grove park area.....my family are from around the bishop street area in town off aungier street and never had a problem being from inner city and around everything it really depends on what you are looking for there are good and bad everywhere and i think if you want to live in town you need to be in a secure apartment block really its only the further out you move that its not so bad living in less secure complexes

bluewolf wrote: »
    Of course there is a rathmines one, or did you mean none on that list? :confused:

Now what do you think Sherlock?
    Yeah its on Patrick street, close to St Patricks cathedral.

Grand spot, as someone said already, make sure it isn't a road facing apartment so. Tonnes of buses go up and down Patrick St and mountains of cars etc... It's a grand spot, you've a Londis and a Spar 2 mins away and then for everything else is 10 mins away max, Supervalue, Lidl, Aldi, etc...

yeah its facing the main road! Im viewing in half an hour, ill see how it sounds in there at rush hour, and make sure theres no double decker's peering in the window.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Now what do you think Sherlock?

Just cos it's obvious what the actual truth is doesn't mean it's obvious what you meant!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Christchurch all the way OP. Far handier than Renelagh and really nothing to worry about around there. Sure Fallon's would be a grand local. However one thing I'd keep an eye on is which way the apartment faces. If it's onoto the main road then keep looking. The noise of traffic will drive you insane within a week. Beebobs belting up and down and buses rumbling along from early.
    Very safe and handy but very noisey if apartment is street facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Christchurch is served by Kevin street Gardai station. Would definitely recommend Ranelagh. While I had no real hassle when living there Christchurch is full of junkies, junkie faeces and tourists.

humberklog wrote: »
    Sure Fallon's would be a grand local.

:D Make sure there's no gangster having a pint in there though before you head in.
    Yi Harr wrote: »
    Would definitely recommend Ranelagh. While I had no real hassle when living there Christchurch is full of junkies, junkie faeces and tourists.

I love this whole junkie malarky, head and sand come to mind.

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Christchurch is served by Kevin street Gardai station. Would definitely recommend Ranelagh. While I had no real hassle when living there Christchurch is full of junkies, junkie faeces and tourists.

:rolleyes:
    Make sure there's no gangster having a pint in there though before you head in.
    Huh? I hope not, only pub in the area that no one was shot in :P (Joke, it's still a great spot)

Hang on...enough of this crapola. A guy's come on asking about christchurch(but means more Pat's Cath. end) versus Ren. and people are talking about the place being over-run with junkies. OP this is simply crap. It's not.

Down from Christchurch towards Liffey yes.

Take and say what you want about around there but it does not have a junkie problem on the streets. In absolutely no way does it. And that's fact.

Thanks. I was down there now the apartment was grand, have to say I didn't see any junkies, it looked very nice to me, apartment was quite noisy with the road so I have mixed feelings about it, didn't see anything wrong with the area, but will check a few places in ranelagh first,

Thanks again everyone

Mu. the noise will drive you potty if the pad is street facing. And come Tuesday evening you'll have a sniper rifle out picking off the campanologists in St. Pat's.

humberklog wrote: »
    Mu. the noise will drive you potty if the pad is street facing. And come Tuesday evening you'll have a sniper rifle out picking off the campanologists in St. Pat's.

Oh **** yeah, ther has been a couple of times on the weekend, the morning after, and the fecking bells would be kicking off for ages! :mad:
    You do get used to the sound of the traffic though, after a while. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

head and sand come to mind.
    Whatever works for you.

Am just speaking from my own experience and yes, Christchurch as a while is not junkie infested but there are quite a few parts of it that are.

I lived in Saint Augustine Street for a couple of years and was regularily treated to the sight of people shooting up in the grounds of the old school. I've also seen them on numerous occasions with their pants around their ankles shooting up on Johns Lane, John Street, Vicar Street and Francis Street.

On the other hand, I've also lived around Ranelagh and can safely say I've never seen anyone shooting up around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

You'll really like Ranelagh if you're a Gaeilgeoir (which you seem to be). Scoil Bhríde & Lios na nÓg run events in Irish quite often and you'll hear families speaking Irish out and about.

Advertisement