Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Christchurch or Ranelagh?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Whatever works for you.

Am just speaking from my own experience and yes, Christchurch as a while is not junkie infested but there are quite a few parts of it that are.

I lived in Saint Augustine Street for a couple of years.

I've lived down the road from Patricks St for 19 going-on 20 years, went to school in St.Patricks Grammar School and well if you're going to judge an area on a few junkies in a park well that kinda rules out many many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

You'll really like Ranelagh if you're a Gaeilgeoir (which you seem to be). Scoil Bhríde & Lios na nÓg run events in Irish quite often and you'll hear families speaking Irish out and about.

Oh really? Thats great, definitely a big plus for me and will swing it if I can find a place in Ranelagh as nice as the place in Christchurch in the same price range, to be honest though, it's going to be harder to find a place as nice as the one I viewed yesterday for the same price in Ranelagh, it looks like I'd have to up the budget or go in a ground floor apartment with horrible deco! Ive a few viewings in Ranelagh lined up tomorrow, I'll let ye know how they compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

if you're going to judge an area on a few junkies in a park well that kinda rules out many many places.

In the school yard, on the road, on the pavement, in the carpark of the apartment complex I was living in. Have lived in other areas where the use of drugs would be classed as problematic but have never lived anywhere where it was as visible a problem as around Christchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

I've lived down the road from Patricks St for 19 going-on 20 years, went to school in St.Patricks Grammar School and well if you're going to judge an area on a few junkies in a park well that kinda rules out many many places.

You won't see much of that in Ranelagh. I knew a guy who worked in the Civic Offices beside Christchurch and he regularly had stories about all the junkies hanging around there. e.g. the worst they saw was a junkie thinking he could "hide" in the shrubbery beside the Office and take a dump. But not realising that although he couldnt see in, all the staff on inside could see him.

Also knew someone renting an apartment on Essex St nearby. Junkies sometimes would "tailgate" people into the apartment so they could use the stairwells to shoot-up. And then leave all their detritus behind. I'm not saying its always like that, or that everyone experiences these things. But the difference between the two areas is clear to me. Main advantage of Christchurch is if you work very near to it (Ranelagh has the Luas and is right beside town), or if you like the nightlife nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's two roads I'd stay away from, that's Wintavern St and Cook St, mainly due to the methadone centre there.
    donaghs wrote: »
    You won't see much of that in Ranelagh. I knew a guy who worked in the Civic Offices beside Christchurch and he regularly had stories about all the junkies hanging around there.

Already pointed out to the OP not to buy down by the Civic Offices as there's a methadone clinic and well that's why they hang around down around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'd have no problem living in Christchurch but traditionally there has been heroin dealing just past the Jurys Inns and at the junction of Thomas Street. Again it's nothing major though, you'd see a lot worse on the quays most days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

I went down again today and I have to admit I did see quite a few scumbags around the Thomas at the junction with Christchurch but it looked grand down towards st pats, think I'm going to move in there. Bit of a weird area tbh looks very mixed, one min it looks nice n tourists everywhere next it's scumbag central with vodka bottles in the alleys.

You'd have thought the council n the guards would do something about it considering the tourists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Whatever works for you.

Am just speaking from my own experience and yes, Christchurch as a while is not junkie infested but there are quite a few parts of it that are.

I lived in Saint Augustine Street for a couple of years and was regularily treated to the sight of people shooting up in the grounds of the old school. I've also seen them on numerous occasions with their pants around their ankles shooting up on Johns Lane, John Street, Vicar Street and Francis Street.

On the other hand, I've also lived around Ranelagh and can safely say I've never seen anyone shooting up around there.

I had the same experience - when I first arrived in Dublin I lived off of St Augustine street, and there were way too many sketchy characters huddled in doorways at 2 in the afternoon for my taste...not to mention the sessions at the edge of the park past the Viking site...or the packs of unsupervised children running around at night...or the constant arguments in or in front of the local convenience store...of the neighbors blasting electronic dance music at all hours of the night...

On the other hand, I loved Ranelagh - both the Beechwood and Ranelagh Luas stops are handy, it's quiet, there are lots of nice shops (and the owners remember the locals and keep an eye on things in the area), and I never felt unsafe walking home at night from the city center. The only annoying thing were the packs of yummy mummies with giant strollers and poorly-behaved children that occasionally took over my favorite coffee shop, but that's about it.

Advertisement