Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband refund fight

Options
  • 13-07-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I was a BT customer for broadband and cancelled my subscription but they continued to take the money from my account for 18 months. They have finally produced an unsigned contract that says they require 90 days in writing for cancellations.
    Also they still have not sent my activity report that will show no traffic, I keep asking them for this.
    They are digging their heels in with the no refund policy.
    Has anyone else had issues with BT.
    Comreg seem a bit sleepy.
    would a legal challemge be worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

18 months is a long time to let that go for, and may prove difficult to get your money back. Things you need to have;

Did you cancel in writing?
    Did you send that by post or email?
    If by post, was it registered, and have you still proof?
    Did you ever get a response confirming cancellation?
    Did you cancel your direct debit, and if so did BT re-activate it?

BT's cancellation notification period has always been 14 days, not 90 days. Where ever they got that from, it's a lie.

Here are BT's own terms. See section 8 for cancellation, and section 8.3 for the specific period. It states;
    8.3 BT or the Customer may terminate a Service or the Agreement upon serving 14 days’ prior written notice to the other party provided however that if the Customer terminates a Service or the Agreement before the expiry of any applicable Minimum Period then the Customer shall be liable to pay to BT in accordance with clause

For complaints, you can email complaints@btireland.ie
    This is what I did, and also copied the CEO, Chris Clark, chris.clark@bt.com
    I found that was the best way (the only way) to actually get them to stop billing me for false charges. I had cancelled my direct debit, so they hadn't over charged me.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to use the Small Claims Court to get this money back either. SCC can't be used in respect of recovering a debt, which this could be viewed as.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

bottomdog wrote: »
    I was a BT customer for broadband and cancelled my subscription but they continued to take the money from my account for 18 months. They have finally produced an unsigned contract that says they require 90 days in writing for cancellations.

How did you cancel the contract? And did you keep a copy?

Advertisement