Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watered down drink in Co.Wexford

Options
  • 13-07-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

It was on news today that 2 pubs in Co.Wexford were found to be watering down drink:eek::mad: Does anyone know which ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Bowes Bar in Kiltealy, Co Wexford, under licensee Ms Belinda O’Brien, and Barrack Street Brewery Ltd, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford both sold alcoholic beverages where the percentage alcohol by volume was less than that indicated on the bottle. In contravention of Sections 42 and 43 of the Consumer protection Act 2007 both establishments were issued with a compliance notice.

Taken from:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0714/breaking53.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Barrack Street brewery? Would that be the Bailey by chance-only place I can think of that has a license down there.

It must be.

I've often heard people say that the drink in The Bailey was like watered down píss so it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

jpb1974 wrote: »

Worth noting that article is a year old, so it may not be the same pubs as the OP was talking about

I actually never looked at the date on the article,it's hardly the same 2 pubs again this year,that'd be taking the piss (bad pun). There's been a lot of pubs selling bottles bought from supermarkets as they're sometimes cheaper than cost.I spotted that in a few places,the not for individual resale stamp on the label gives it away.The fcukers still have the cheek to charge full price even if the bottles are generally smaller aswell. Then they wonder at trade dropping off.

• Advertisement

Found the watered down beer.

633519353845212957-The-Irish---Never-too-busy-for-a-quick-pint.jpg

Worth noting that article is a year old, so it may not be the same pubs as the OP was talking about

Sorry about that folks... my bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I would like to issue a retraction of my previous post.

I would like to offer an apology to any publicans who may have felt i was making accusations.

The views which i expressed were of my own thought, not of the company.

I did not mean to single out anyone, i was not trying to single out, in any way, publicans in new ross.

If i offended, it was not intentional, i am sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

zerks wrote: »
    I actually never looked at the date on the article,it's hardly the same 2 pubs again this year,that'd be taking the piss (bad pun). There's been a lot of pubs selling bottles bought from supermarkets as they're sometimes cheaper than cost.I spotted that in a few places,the not for individual resale stamp on the label gives it away.The fcukers still have the cheek to charge full price even if the bottles are generally smaller aswell. Then they wonder at trade dropping off.

I come across that last summer when in a pub where the table had not been cleared before I sat down awaiting my pint to settle I glanced at the bottles of Bud on the table to note the name 'Stifftung' on the label. If your familiar with a popular German retailer in Ireland you'll know where it came from. It sticks in my craw how publicans can charge €5+ for a bottle that I can purchase for 85c in a supermarket...and they're also making a profit. I feel a Peter Griffin (Family Guy) moment coming over me "...you know what really grinds my gears?..."

I had that in a pub not too far from Enniscorthy-300ml bottles with a not for individual sale stamp on them:mad:
    In another case a certain owner of a popular premises in the town was caught red handed loading up boxes of beer from a supermarket and stocking the shelves with them-cheating the wholesaler and cheating the customer.It's theft plain and simple-wonder what would happen if I offered to pay them 85c for the bottle at the bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I had that in a pub not too far from Enniscorthy-300ml bottles with a not for individual sale stamp on them:mad:
    In another case a certain owner of a popular premises in the town was caught red handed loading up boxes of beer from a supermarket and stocking the shelves with them-cheating the wholesaler and cheating the customer.It's theft plain and simple-wonder what would happen if I offered to pay them 85c for the bottle at the bar?

It isn't theft, unless there is a specific law that says bars can't buy booze from supermarkets. As for cheating the wholesaler, well the if the wholesaler can't offer competitive prices then why should the publican pay inflated stock costs? And don't forget that you have the choice not to spend a fiver for a bottle of beer in a pub. You could always drink your 85c bottle at home.

The Vintners Federation are spending money advertising pubs-come on in enjoy the atmosphere and drink watery rip-off beer.As for drinking my 85c bottle at home,what do you think the vast majority of folk are doing? Just have a look the next time the supermarkets are running a beer promotion at how many people are stocking up.The publicans are bemoaning lack of customers/drink driving laws and smoking ban but are the only industry that raises prices as an answer.I enjoy a pint the same as the next man but it's not right what certain publicans are doing.Feck it I think I'll bring my own beer to the pub cos they claim we're paying for the atmsphere and ambiance-the drink has nothing to do with it.At least then I know it's not watered down.

It isn't theft, unless there is a specific law that says bars can't buy booze from supermarkets. As for cheating the wholesaler, well the if the wholesaler can't offer competitive prices then why should the publican pay inflated stock costs?

The NOT FOR INDIVIDUAL SALE stamp is on multipack bottles for a reason Bearhunter.I'm sure the Consumer Affairs Watchdog would have something to say about it.You must be very laid back if you think it's acceptable to be ripped off. A pint of water sir?

I do not think that the 'Not for individual resale' labels are binding.
    I believe that it is more a ploy of the bottlers to stop people doing just that, but I can't see how its illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I know of a woman that bought drink in an off licence. She used to put the bottle in her handbag when going to the pub and buy one drink in the pub and keep topping her glass from the drink in her handbag after that. Was she smart or was she mean?

Hey Sh1tstirrer. Your location is down as Cavan-oh too easy to make jokes about cute Cavan hoores being mean.:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Hey Sh1tstirrer. Your location is down as Cavan-oh too easy to make jokes about cute Cavan hoores being mean.:D:D:D:D
    She is a Kerry woman living in Cavan a few years. Now don't ask me is she a cute Kerry hoor or a cute Cavan hoor. Maybe she is a combination of both which makes her so mean.

The NOT FOR INDIVIDUAL SALE stamp is on multipack bottles for a reason Bearhunter.I'm sure the Consumer Affairs Watchdog would have something to say about it.You must be very laid back if you think it's acceptable to be ripped off. A pint of water sir?

Yes they are on there for a reason. They're on there because the bottler is selling them as a multipack rather than as individual bottles. What the purchaser does with them is the purchaser's decision, not the bottler's. As for being laid back, perhaps I am, but that is because I realise that it is my decision to either a) buy a bottle of beer for 85c and sit at home and drink it; or b) go down the pub and spend a fiver on a beer.

And aren't these publicans fiendishly clever to be able to not only buy bottled beer really cheaply but also water it down and re-seal it.

It probably doesn't bother me too much where a publican is sourcing their bottles of beer but I suppose the problem that I'd have is that the publican is doing this solely to line their pockets and the thought of passing on any sort of saving to their customers would probably never ever enter their mind.

It's the one thing about pubs in the recession that I never could get... they seem to do sweet FA to actually lure people into the pubs. Surely a few promotions or significant price decreases would fair them well in the long term. It's rare to see a pub stick their neck out and do something to make themselves stand out from the crowd.

Since the recession kicked in and pubs started to really struggle I think the only thing the Federation(s) agreed to do was to implement a price freeze which to me is really a paltry effort.

I agree JPB-a few ads with Daire o Brian won't lure people into pubs.Unfortunately promotions are dead-the powers that be reckon we'd drink ourselves into oblivion so banned em,no more free shots,buy 1 get 1 free offers etc.At least in a pub it can be controlled,as is seen every week the off license and supermarkets are selling drink by the crate,lash it down at home and head out later out of your mind drunk.The 'powers that be' didn't think of that.
    If a shop wants to drum up trade they have a sale-in the drinks industry they raise prices to make up the shortfall,crazy logic.

• Advertisement

Pub promotions are banned... I never actually knew that to be honest.

I jacked in frequent visits to the pub a good few years back, too feckin expensive for what typically results in a sore head and not much else... plus I found a hobby which sucked up all my pocket money.

Only special occasions get me to a pub now... and to be honest it'd never cost me a thought if I never entered one again. Even heading down to watch a soccer match is expensive... €2.60 for an egg cup of Coke... feck that.

Gone are the days when the weekend started on a Thursday night and ended Sunday night/Monday morning. Just goes to show even though beer is expensive it actually costs more to go to a pub and not drink alchohol.Wonder do they water down the soft drinks too?:D Another thing is the trend of pubs selling cans for consumption on the premises,I don't go to a pub to drink cans-it's not a sheebeen.

I agree entirely about the stupidity of raising prices in a recession, it's suicidal. I remember in England in the 90s the prices kept going up and fewer people drank in pubs. The result? Publicans raised prices to compensate, driving even more people out of the pubs.

"as is seen every week the off license and supermarkets are selling drink by the crate,lash it down at home and head out later out of your mind drunk."

Same the world over, unfortunately. I live in New Zealand now and we've got exactly the same problem - people getting ****faced at home and then heading into town at midnight to go to the pub/nightclub. It's leading to such ructions when they hit town that the authorities are now looking at tightening up the drinking laws.

During the Strawberry Festival drinking on the street was banned-actually ruined the atmosphere and had zero effect on violence,that was as bad as ever,bags of cans and bottles consumed away from the Market Square and the fighting afterwards as usual.(Good result there Gardai.) At least if drinking was confined to the Square it could be policed and contained.
    On that point the plastic glasses that used to be given out contain a lot less than a pint-sneaky.
    When I was a student and had feck all money the filling up before going out was king,had enough money for nightclub,few pints and chips,so a few beers at home first was always the way.Didn't feel the need to smash somebody up though which is a serious problem now.We may water down the off license stock aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Feck it I think I'll bring my own beer to the pub cos they claim we're paying for the atmsphere and ambiance-the drink has nothing to do with it.At least then I know it's not watered down.

Not a bad idea...why dont the pubs charge a flat rate for bringing your own booze to the local? Then you can walk in with your crates and drink to your hearts content;) What do you think the flat charge should be? I'll start:
    A packet of peanuts.

furerer wrote: »
    Not a bad idea...why dont the pubs charge a flat rate for bringing your own booze to the local? Then you can walk in with your crates and drink to your hearts content;) What do you think the flat charge should be? I'll start:
    A packet of peanuts.
    I'll see your packet of peanuts and raise you a packet of King crisps.

Advertisement